Costco Coupon Book Changes

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Costco Coupon Book Changes are coming in addition to upping the membership price.

Costco has changed the coupon books quite a bit this year. There’s no longer going to be one coupon book per month (12 per year), but instead, 7 throughout the year.
In other words, they’ll be more spread out. The coupons will still only be valid for 3.5 weeks, but there will be more time between the coupon books.

Why the Change?
Costco and their vendors don’t like when the customer buys a bunch of an item when it’s on coupon once per year and not throughout the year.
They would rather offer everyday low prices, for example, instead of an item regularly being $9.99 with a $3 coupon making it $6.99, they’d rather offer it at $8.49 every day.
The downside to this is that a lot of times the new everyday price will be the same or very close to the price you can find outside of Costco.

We think this change will precipitate us going shopping at Costco less often, and likely other members as well.
If we had to guess we think this will be a failed experiment and Costco will go back to monthly coupons.

(From the Costco Insider)

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Yeah what's with the people I see waiting six cars deep for gas that is 8c a gallon cheaper? That's $1.60 savings on a f... (more)

yzj (Mar. 21, 2017 @ 12:52p) |

They usually spend $1.60 just waiting in line!

smokeycatrules (Mar. 22, 2017 @ 11:36a) |

Most of the new prices are good. SOme do not seem like they went down at all.

smokeycatrules (Mar. 23, 2017 @ 12:59p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

They won't offer it at $8.49 every day, they already think it's competitively priced at $9.99.

The fact that Costco is doing this (reducing coupons per year) is proof that it's position among retailers is very strong. Now it can set the price wherever (including discounts) and let quantity adjust, as opposed to vice versa, because demand is so high that it doesn't care if it loses some customers...in fact, membership in Costco and higher membership fees guarantees that it won't lose too many. You would be wrong in thinking they'll change back unless Costco customers en masse revolt...and in capitalist America, that is an impossibility.

Absolutely true. When you have a monopoly with a strong membership like Costco, they can do what they want. I doubt they will lose any customers because of this change. I doubt they will lose customers like JC Penny did when they eliminated coupons and sales.

This and the fee increase and the LONG check-out times? We are done with Costco and will let the membership lapse. We will be shopping at Lidl and closer, more convenient local stores.

vadeltachi said:   This and the fee increase and the LONG check-out times? We are done with Costco and will let the membership lapse. We will be shopping at Lidl and closer, more convenient local stores.
Depending on your situation, you can "share" a costco membership.
With a membership, you get what used to be called a spouse card. Well, "spouse" is no longer politically correct, so you can just get the spouse card (can't remember what it is called now) for anyone. My sons shared a membership for a while, my wife and my dad shared ours for a while.
If all you need is a gas card (like for one of the kids, or for me when my dad shared with my wife), you can get  a gift card which will work at the gas pumps. Note that gift cards also work to get access to the store (just have to keep it topped up). 

Personally, I think Costco is going to end up hurting themselves. In my area, prices are going up fast (no longer the lowest price for a lot of things - especially meats) and way too much product is going over to "organic" or gluten free or whatever the fad is of the day (free range, all natural, gluten free with ancient grains?). They are rapidly moving away from being a place for solid value on "normal" stuff to the place to follow fads.
IMHO - It probably will work until the economy hiccups - then people won't be looking to pay $24 for a package of 4 pork chops, even if the pigs got shiatsu massage while listening to French poetry....

So, for now, we just share one membership across the family and have a lot of gift cards for the gas station (its close to us and usually about $0.15 cents/gallon less than everyone else).

I totally agree that Costco will loose members this way. Without the monthly discount on items, I can find them just as cheap in regular store.

Anyone had experience with Sam's? I had a membership a long time ago but did not use it enough to renew.

Overall sams is cheaper, although their fruits and meat are probably priced similarly. It's all the other food items that sams has the edge. When it comes to electronics they seem to be very similar, but Costco does offer other services with executive membership that I don't think sams offers.

i don't mind that the coupon books will be reduced, as long as the discounts are decent. (I still remember when the coupons were in the "passports") These days I don't need most of the coupon'd items...mostly because I am confident that the items will be on "sale" when I do need to buy it. I just hope the new copons will be decent.

That makes 2 of us. I try to buy when things are on coupon and sometimes stock up. Some of the items I have found cheaper on Amazon.

This is sad... one reason I go to Costco is for there organic selection...

I might have to graze more now to make up for the upped fee and to make up for the less coupon savings.

I've been noticing more and more unbearably long checkout lines.....and the membership staff is borderline rude these days....I am going to cancel My Membership and just stick with Sams Club because of the yearly groupon deals to get Me an almost free Membership

Sam's scan and go app is epic. You Scan items with phone while you put them in your cart then just got checkout and pay through the app. Show barcode at exit and you're done. It's super to skip long lines. That, plus the fact that I'm in Dallas and there are 10x as many Sam's clubs, has me not renewing my membership this month

vadeltachi said:   This and the fee increase and the LONG check-out times? We are done with Costco and will let the membership lapse. We will be shopping at Lidl and closer, more convenient local stores.
  Ditto.  We let ours expire at the end of last Nov. hoping to renew in the near future. But due to the very long lines at checkout, awful if/when returning anything and the fee increase, I highly doubt I will sign up again (14 year ex-Costco member)

DaRkJaWs said:   They won't offer it at $8.49 every day, they already think it's competitively priced at $9.99.

The fact that Costco is doing this (reducing coupons per year) is proof that it's position among retailers is very strong. Now it can set the price wherever (including discounts) and let quantity adjust, as opposed to vice versa, because demand is so high that it doesn't care if it loses some customers...in fact, membership in Costco and higher membership fees guarantees that it won't lose too many. You would be wrong in thinking they'll change back unless Costco customers en masse revolt...and in capitalist America, that is an impossibility.

Agree, in the two cities that we have homes, Costco stores are at least 10 times busier than Sam's Club stores. I've always preferred Costco, but Sam's is slowly winning over more of our business. When in Sam's you don't have to fight the ton's of other people, the parents blocking the isles feeding their 3 kids at each of the food sample stations, Sam's discounts clothing and seasonal items much more often (Costco seems just to send seasonal items back to the manufacturer), and at Sam's you can go as early as 7am with Plus, but Costco is still 10am even with Executive.  Besides, I loved their hot dogs/polish dogs until Costco cheapened out a few years ago and went with their own, now I can't stand the taste of their generic ones

Costco has the fastest moving lines of any stores I've ever been to.

Having periods without coupons makes good business sense EXCEPT that they've trained the consumer to always expect coupons. Therefore, this may go the route of JC Penney and be a miserable failure - only time will tell. I can tell you that when I get a coupon book, I scan it for things I buy and put them in a spreadsheet, so when we need to buy a reoccurring item we check the spreadsheet to see if we think a coupon is coming soon. This will totally mess that up, and in fact will likely cause us to batch up some purchases even more. I've also numerous times brought my receipt in when the new offers kick in to get the price change - they've done it within 30 days no problem. Otherwise, I'll use Citi Price Rewind.

If you plan on letting your membership lapse.  Simply go online, buy a bunch of $10 costco gift cards.  Use one each time you go to costco to get in the door and pay with a visa at checkout.  This will eliminate the membership fee for a year or two.

I personally like costco, but it is not my daily shopping location.   We go there once a month for specific items and like the seasonal items they have.

EradicateSpam said:   Costco has the fastest moving lines of any stores I've ever been to.

Costco has the longest waits to check out of any stores that I shop at.  We have 3 Costcos, all have long waits.  I do think they are more efficient than other stores, but when you are behind 4-5 people in line with their carts filled up, it's going to be a while.

leonardosf said:   Absolutely true. When you have a monopoly with a strong membership like Costco, they can do what they want. I doubt they will lose any customers because of this change. I doubt they will lose customers like JC Penny did when they eliminated coupons and sales.
  Your threshold for a monopoly is remarkably low.

The Westbury, NY Costco is ridiculous with the lines. Mid-week/weekend it doesn't matter.

Anyone thought of asking Costco for a 10 item or less line???
Course they wouldn't probably listen.

ours used to have 4 self checkout lanes.  They were the best.  Wish they still had them.  They were removed for some reason.

Probably because people got out of there too quick! We have just the usual lines, one item, five carts. ARG!

rshaslam said:   If you plan on letting your membership lapse.  Simply go online, buy a bunch of $10 costco gift cards.  Use one each time you go to costco to get in the door and pay with a visa at checkout.  This will eliminate the membership fee for a year or two.

I personally like costco, but it is not my daily shopping location.   We go there once a month for specific items and like the seasonal items they have.

So some or all of your payment needs to be a Costco GC in order to checkout without a membership, is that right?

i already forgo their tire shop since they stopped free mounting tires bought somewhere else, it's much cheaper to buy from Discount tires Direct (with rebates) and mount somewhere, and no tax to boot  

I know that about tires.
Goodyear gave me a $120 rebate for 4 and no mounting charge. Costco was going to charge for the mounting and pressure monitor.

riznick said:   
EradicateSpam said:   Costco has the fastest moving lines of any stores I've ever been to.

Costco has the longest waits to check out of any stores that I shop at.  We have 3 Costcos, all have long waits.  I do think they are more efficient than other stores, but when you are behind 4-5 people in line with their carts filled up, it's going to be a while.

Even if there are 3-5 carts in front of me, the lines at my local Costco move surprisingly quickly. If there were only 2 people in front of me at Target, WalMart, or Giant, it would often take longer to check out than it would with 3-5 carts at Costco. On a few occasions, I've given up and left some of those other stores without making my purchase because the lines were taking too long.

Most of the lines move at a good speed. I know Target is slow unless you use self serve. Costco just take a little time and more time on the weekends.

Too bad the membership fee is increasing but my executive bonus more than covers my membership fee. Also, when pricing tires make sure competitors include a road hazard warranty as Costco does. I have found that most, if not all, competitors do not include that in their price and it is an expensive add-on. I have used the road hazard warranty a few times at Costco and it saved me from buying new tires at full price. Also, I just purchased a new SUHD tv that included the Samsung one year warranty, Costco extends it to two years and because I used my Costco Citi Card the two year warranty is extended to four years. The return policy at Costco can't be beat. The meat department is top notch - I have never gotten a bad cut of beef. I have always received very good customer service. I have found most products to be very competitively priced although the electronics usually aren't the best buy. The check out lines take longer at my local WalMart. No Sams near me so I can't compare.

dealgain said:   I've been noticing more and more unbearably long checkout lines.....and the membership staff is borderline rude these days....I am going to cancel My Membership and just stick with Sams Club because of the yearly groupon deals to get Me an almost free Membership
  agreed and they are not "easily" accepting returns

dealgain said:   I've been noticing more and more unbearably long checkout lines.....and the membership staff is borderline rude these days....I am going to cancel My Membership and just stick with Sams Club because of the yearly groupon deals to get Me an almost free Membership
dup...nm

New from the Costco Insider

The upcoming March and April 2017 Costco coupon book, which will run from March 23rd through April 17th.

http://www.costcoinsider.com/costco-march-and-april-2017-coupon-...

When the coupons were new, there was that 3week interval which made it unclear if the coupons would be repeated so I stocked up on some items as I recall.

Their coupons became so predictable that, yes, a spreadsheet could help you plan your shopping.

Costco regular prices are usually lower that other retail REGULAR prices, but retailer sale prices easily beat out Costco regular prices.

Yah. Costco may be losing their edge. A couple weeks ago, gas locally was 2 cents lower per gallon than Costco.

Our gas is constantly the same price as the competitive stations. And the lines are horrible.

A couples of items on coupon that have not been on coupon before are the Chef’s Cut Real Steak Jerky and the Vega Protein & Greens. Don't know if either is any good.

Yeah what's with the people I see waiting six cars deep for gas that is 8c a gallon cheaper? That's $1.60 savings on a full tank. How is that worth their time?

They usually spend $1.60 just waiting in line!

Most of the new prices are good. SOme do not seem like they went down at all.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017