• filter:

How do they make any money on this $13.25 toner cartridge?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/182379840477

Shipping alone is at least $6, eBay and Paypal fees another $1.50, boxes and shipping supplies maybe 75 cents. That leaves $5 for the actual cartridge, replacement toner, time and labor to refill it, etc. Where is the profit?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Shipped from USA, but remanufactured where?

rated:
Maybe they purchased it for next to nothing from someone who went out of business.

rated:
China

rated:
It's hit or miss with these cheapies if they are good or not.
Most have been good but the last batch, all of 4 them have leaked toner in the printer screwing it up a little more each time.

rated:
A company I worked at when I was in high school would buy re-manufactured ink jet cartridges for less than $1 each. We got them in huge pallet sized boxes -- we just tested them before we sent them out. If they worked we sent them, if not they went in the trash. This had to have been around the year 2000, we(they) would sell those things for $20 each via mail order.

rated:
A few years ago Chinese cartridges were shipped by the container loads and local warehouses had years worth of them stored up in preparation of them being stopped at the ports due to IP law suits by Canon and others. There was a glut on the market. Since they're over 400 manufacturers in China, the largest ones were going to take turns shutting down a month at a time to allow demand to catch up with supply. The Chinese gov. wouldn't allow this due to the possibility of political unrest from so many people being out of work. The gov. offered to pay all of the raw costs (subsidize) to produce the cartridges to keep the manufacturers workers working. Once these cartridges hit our shores the manufactures reps (warehouse) could sell them for what ever they could get and still make a profit. Also, competition from other Chinese manufacturers trying to off load inventory has driven the cost down (hard to compete with .35 a hour workers).
It's true about the non existent cost of Chinese labor when they make a product. The above scheme takes that to a new level.

I'm in the cartridge business and this is from a high level manufacturer rep.
Some of the stuff you get online works ok and a lot of it doesn't. The quality is getting better now vs 5 years ago. Still, the cheapest cartridges usually cause the most problems. You get what you pay for applies.
The Chinese cartridges are made inferior to a original or original that's been re-manufactured. The plastic they're made from is inferior and will break easily if dropped. The cartridges usually do not print as many pages and the toners used in them aren't always designed for your exact printer. If you're using a throw away printer, go for it. If you have a expensive printer or need to have quality prints, stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff.

rated:
eBay is the big source of Chinese Junk...much of it is poor quality at best.

rated:
Antilamr said:   A few years ago Chinese cartridges were shipped by the container loads and local warehouses had years worth of them stored up in preparation of them being stopped at the ports due to IP law suits by Canon and others. There was a glut on the market. Since they're over 400 manufacturers in China, the largest ones were going to take turns shutting down a month at a time to allow demand to catch up with supply. The Chinese gov. wouldn't allow this due to the possibility of political unrest from so many people being out of work. The gov. offered to pay all of the raw costs (subsidize) to produce the cartridges to keep the manufacturers workers working. Once these cartridges hit our shores the manufactures reps (warehouse) could sell them for what ever they could get and still make a profit. Also, competition from other Chinese manufacturers trying to off load inventory has driven the cost down (hard to compete with .35 a hour workers).
It's true about the non existent cost of Chinese labor when they make a product. The above scheme takes that to a new level.

I'm in the cartridge business and this is from a high level manufacturer rep.
Some of the stuff you get online works ok and a lot of it doesn't. The quality is getting better now vs 5 years ago. Still, the cheapest cartridges usually cause the most problems. You get what you pay for applies.
The Chinese cartridges are made inferior to a original or original that's been re-manufactured. The plastic they're made from is inferior and will break easily if dropped. The cartridges usually do not print as many pages and the toners used in them aren't always designed for your exact printer. If you're using a throw away printer, go for it. If you have a expensive printer or need to have quality prints, stay away from the cheap Chinese stuff.

I see some ink cartridge for 950 and 951hp xl on Amazon from third party like Kingjet or IKONG.  One particular JetSir(is this chinese?)  claims to be German ink.  Do you recommend any of those?

Any advice as to where to get ink refills beside OEM?

rated:
I'm not familiar with Kingjet. I doubt they're using German ink. German ink is more costly than the generic stuf that most of the online cartridges use. Also, they must be using a cheap chip on them as the advertised price on Amazon is low, there's not much profit in them.
I have a store that refills them using German ink and American developed chips. The price on Amazon is what is charged for 1 cartridge in the store. That's why people buy these. They're cheap. Just know that if/when your print head goes out, time to throw away the printer.
You can buy a new printer for what the replacement print head costs. I won't promote my business on Fat Wallet as the members are not my Target market. Look at reviews of the sellers you choose and also of their product reviews. just know you're not getting the best products at their pricing.

rated:
i even saw much cheap in eBay or Amazon, i confused too.

rated:
slave labor

rated:
I use these cheap ink for my small office. When the printer is printing, it releases a weird smell in the air. I inhale so much of these toxic fume the last 5 years. Now I really regret risking my health just to save few bucks.

rated:
I purchased one of these once and it ran out of toner after printing about 200 pages! Don't bother - ripoff.

rated:
china prison labor $0

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017