• filter:

CVS clerk knowingly refunded me too much money AND made me give my name & driver's licence #. Could I get in trouble?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Slightly shorter version

I returned something to my local CVS store which I had bought from CVS online.
I had the receipt for it, which I presented to the clerk.
I had bought it with a 30% coupon, using my credit card.

When the clerk scanned the item, the register rang it up at a different refund amount.
The clerk didn't want to bother with adjusting the refund amount on the register to fit what I had paid for the item.
Without telling me what he was doing, the clerk cancelled the credit card refund.

Then, the clerk (seemingly) did a no-receipt-offered refund, for cash, for the full price of the item.
The clerk therefore gave me back more money, in cash, than I had paid for the item on my card.

The clerk then asked me to fill in a form with my name, phone number, and driver's licence number, which I did.

I only realized when I got to the car that this will possibly be flagged up by the CVS database, showing that I got an item for 30% off online and a few days later I returned it for full price, for cash -- which apparently would be a FRAUDULENT thing to do --

and I also realized that the transaction probably will go into the national database for cash-refunds-without-receipts --

I know it's only a small amount of money, but I'm just wondering if there is any way that I could get in trouble somehow with CVS for this.
I didn't mean the refund to work like that; I didn't want to get back more than I had paid in the first place.

I am wondering if I should call CVS online customer service and let them know about it, or if that would just make things worse.

=====
Longer version, in case having more details will help

I place an online order with CVS about 4 times a year. 
I usually buy the same stuff each time (a set of specialty-brand skincare items that they don't carry in their bricks-and-mortar stores in my region of the country).  
In my most recent order, to that regular cart I added an $8 CVS-brand item (an inexpensive plastic and metal medical device, a standard type of pharmacy item that is along the lines of a thermometer) that they don't carry in my local CVS store. 

In that item listing online, they only had one photo -- it was of the front of the outer package, and didn't show the device in detail -- so I wasn't sure if it would turn out to be what I was looking for, or not.

Note that $8 was the CVS regular price and I got it for 30% off (because I was using one of their usual online coupon codes for "30% off and free shipping over $49"), so I paid $5-something for the item.

When I received it and could see up close what it was like, I decided that it wasn't what I was looking for.

The online receipt said that CVS-branded items bought online can be returned to a local CVS store.

So I stopped by my local CVS with the item and receipt, and asked to return it for a refund.

The clerk at the register said she didn't know how to do online refunds, and said she would have to go to the back and get someone who could help me. 

The guy who came to the register from the back seemed like a manager in clothing and demeanor, but I wasn't sure what his role was.

I explained the situation and he scanned the item.  He then stood there for quite a while, just staring at my online receipt. 

I asked what the problem was, and he said that the scanned amount that showed up in the register, and which was the amount he could refund me for, was not the amount that showed up on my online receipt as what I had paid for the item. 
It was obvious from the online receipt that I had received 30% off, and I pointed that out to him on the piece of paper, and said that I understood that my refund would only be the $5-something that my credit card had been charged for the item.

I expected him to do some kind of wizardry with the register in order to make it manually accept the proper price so he could refund my credit card for exactly as much as I had paid.

Instead, without telling me what he was doing, he immediately deleted that transaction in the register and started a new transaction. 
Very quickly he scanned the item, opened the cash drawer, and gave me cash. 

He gave me $8-something in cash. 
I thought, "Huh?" 
He said, "Here, you need to fill out this form and give me your name and driver's licence number."  I did so.  Then he sped off, back to the back.

He never explained to me that he had done the return as a non-receipted return for cash.  It was only when I got back to the car that I realized that this is what he had done.

Obviously, I don't mind that I got $8-something back instead of $5-something -- I absolutely had tried to do a legitimate return, and it was all his doing.

However, I started to wonder if I might get in trouble if the CVS computer system puts the two transactions together, and might see that I bought something from them a few days ago online at a discounted price, and then returned it to a local store "without a receipt" at the full price, and thereby made $3 cash from the transaction.

I know that they must have security cameras up the wazoo in a place like that (this CVS location seems to be robbed at least once a year), and any footage from the encounter would show that I had presented an online paper receipt to both the first clerk and to the manager, and that I had explained to the guy where the receipt showed a 30% discount had been deducted, etc.

I also realize that there is a cross-retailer system in place in the US to monitor returns-without-receipt, but I rarely do that at any retailer, so I'm not worried about surpassing any kind of quarterly or annual quota they might have for people who make multiple returns-without-receipt in a short period of time.

I might be concerned for nothing --
but I just think it was a dodgy way to treat me as a customer
(and a dodgy way to treat his employer, frankly),
even though of course he was giving me more money than I "deserved",

and I don't want it to have negative ramifications for my CVS customer account or, perhaps, for my reputation with the cross-retailer body that monitors without-receipt returns.

----
I don't know if contacting the CVS online telephone customer service number about the issue and explaining what happened would help anything, or make it all ten times worse.

Any thoughts, or experiences with this kind of thing?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Let it go...He did.

rated:
peachywink said:   Let it go...He did.
Of course he let it go -- it saved him a few minutes of time.

However, he isn't the one who filled out a form with name, phone number, and driver's licence number acknowledging getting a full refund for something that the CVS computer system knows was bought a few days earlier by the same person with a 30% discount.

I didn't ask for a no-receipt cash refund, and he didn't inform me that this is what he was doing.

rated:
Literally nobody will care.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017