Amazon Will Start Collecting Sales Tax Nationwide Starting April 1st

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
The final five states have been added to the list.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/24/15055662/amazon-us-sales-tax-c...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Well there goes that.  Does it apply to Amazon as a middleman or third party?  If so, does Jet do the same thing, maybe its time for a new king?

They do not collect sales tax for third party sellers, but you owe use tax.

As a Delaware resident I am unfamiliar with and confused the concept of this "sales tax" thing you speak of. The government charges you to buy stuff?

SoulAssassin said:   As a Delaware resident I am unfamiliar with and confused the concept of this "sales tax" thing you speak of. The government charges you to buy stuff?
  In your state they charge you for working...basically, you are their slave!

Delaware also charges $4.00 for folks passing through I-95.

April Fools.. wait this is real? Oh well, it was great while it lasted for the last several states.

pkny said:   Delaware also charges $4.00 for folks passing through I-95.

Thank you for further helping to lower my taxes, the locals know where to get on 95 to avoid that. 

Work with me here people, it's not often that Delaware residents get to brag so let me enjoy my moment in the spotlight lol

SoulAssassin said:   

Thank you for further helping to lower my taxes, the locals know where to get on 95 to avoid that. 

Work with me here people, it's not often that Delaware residents get to brag so let me enjoy my moment in the spotlight lol

...and the no-locals know where to exit, take a bathroom break, see Delaware stadium at the corner, then re-enter the freeway, thus saving the toll.  

I don't know what the fuss is about.
I have been paying "Use Tax" on all my Amz purchases in my state.

yes im not renewing my prime ,,,see ya Amazon..going back to WalMart...overall with all the defective or damaged items i receive from them its easier to return ..

To call the sales tax rate in my community "confiscatory" is an understatement. 9.75%.

I think that the state should take the profits from Amazon's collecting sales tax (along with other online sellers) and reduce the general sales tax rate--maybe a half percent?  Otherwise it's just a huge money grab...

TBT, they're giving it to military retirees!  Duh?

I pointed out that our state should exempt medical necessities like eyeglasses from taxes before giving it to military retirees.  We are so backwards they just stopped taxing food a year or two ago--and local governments still tax food.  Absolute necessities,including food, eyeglasses, and over the counter drugs (many of which used to be prescription drugs) should become exempt--and states can use the Amazon windfall to do this right now.

marcopolomle said:   I don't know what the fuss is about.

You're doing it wrong.

Myers215 said:   

You're doing it wrong.

Please explain?

marcopolomle said:   
Myers215 said:   

You're doing it wrong.

Please explain?

The "tax cheat" gang does not file use tax.  

allegro54 said:   To call the sales tax rate in my community "confiscatory" is an understatement. 9.75%.

I think that the state should take the profits from Amazon 's collecting sales tax (along with other online sellers) and reduce the general sales tax rate--maybe a half percent?  Otherwise it's just a huge money grab...

Do you have any idea whether Amazon collecting tax would in any way come close to offsetting a .5% sales tax reduction?  Or are you just talking nonsense    I'm guessing the latter.

Not from me!

Shop soon if you are in CA in counties/cities that voted for sales tax increases, in effect on April 1. new rates

More specifically, they charge you $4 to LEAVE Delaware.  Which, frankly, is a bargain. 

At least you Californians have the income (in most cases) to pay for that... We in Puerto Rico basically don't (and it's wasted for all we know...) and have to pay 11.5% of ours, called IVU by its' Spanish acronym, the highest under the American flag.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017