Are Amazon.com sellers legit? Is this a safe deal?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-OLED55C6P-CURVE-55-INCH-ULTRA...

I wanted to buy that item then price match it to ebuyusa or some nyc retailer using my citi price protection.  and get it for around $1100 in the end.

but is this Amazon seller legit?  How would I know?  I assume they are because Amazon is backing it, but does that mean anything?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Not 900.  500 is max allowed

quickfatwallet (Mar. 28, 2017 @ 9:32p) |

JW10 (Mar. 30, 2017 @ 12:47p) |

Lots of third party seller fraud on Amazon these days. Aside from the typical prolific flash memory or battery fraud tha... (more)

vegetation (Mar. 30, 2017 @ 10:40p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Kinda like eBay ratings. I have never had a problem with an Amazon seller, but over time some FWF have posted being unsatisfied or worse.
When I had a concern, Amazon sent the concern to the seller to resolve.

Recently I've taken to calling Amazon/eBay when I see too good of a price by less than a stellar seller. And getting their opinion on the sellers & getting it noted on the record. Last week I did this one each A/e. Early on after only a few days but it looks like both are scams. But I've always gotten my money back just a bit of a pita.

I have had nothing but issues with third-party sellers offering too good to be true deals.  This week I bought two routers both priced at over $200 for around $10 each. I normally have to put in a request for my money back but it's always worth a try.  I don't understand what they get out of it unless they hope you just forget.  Most of the sellers have no  feedback except a year ago. That's a serious time investment to set up all these accounts make one legitimate transaction and then let it sit for year. I'd love for someone to explain the scam model!

Run the rating through www.fakespot.com. It'll tell you if the rating are reliable as well as a company rating.

thanks for the tips. sounds like it's nothing but a hassle to buy from Amazon sellers.

it's crazy, 'cause there are so many, many products offered by sellers you would think these sellers are legit now.

I've seen so many products offered by certain eBay sellers -- eBay - ielectrica and eBay - electronic_express come to mind -- that you would think they are now mainstream.

I don't even know who this eBay - electronic_express and eBay - ielectrica and other prominenet folks like them are, but they have thousands of positive reviews.

so it raises the question, are they legit & mainstream now or still sketchy? If they are sooo legit, why don't they run their own website? And how in the world do they get their prices down so low? (one eBay seller has this tv for $938.00.)

In a recent flight I meet someone that her work is to deal with fraud from the Amazon sellers. She said that Latin America and south Europe is the most problematic area. Just watch out...

Some price protections do not pay unless it's ship and sold by Amazon. Discover will pay for any BIN auction however. Best would be to buy from a reputable seller and then PM.

I have 3 current scammer transactions issues on Amazon right now.
I seem to have hit a very poor steak, 2 other transactions never shipped, and were refunded recently as well. Also 2 orders were cancelled after a day or two.
I have been a Prime member for about 10 years and have had more problems these last 2 months than I had in all the years combined.

It seems Amazon just lets anyone open a storefront.

Amazon has very strong protection for buyers.  Seller had to refund money upon request, no question asked.  I once sold a laptop that worked great without problem, I packaged it with care.  This lady decided to return it after more than 30 days by making up defect that I knew didn't exist.  I fight for it with Amazon but Amazon sided with her even though the representative knew that she's at fraud. This lady then decided to return my laptop in an ENVELOPE, not a box.  I am surprised that the laptop still worked after shipped in an envelope but the case had a dent on it.  

So I don't think you even need to worry as long as you are the buyer.

Anyone who buys from a third party, on ANY site (Amazon, eBay (which are all 3rd parties), WalMart, Sears, ...) should understand that:

1) Fake reviews are widespread, so widespread that sites Spring up to evaluate if reviews are fake.

2) Many people don't know jack about what they are buying.

3) If it sounds too good to be true, it is. This was true for your great-great grandparents, and is true today. The poster that said they paid $10 for over $200 routers, and then was surprised they weren't as expected, is simply naive or lacks intelligence. Sales people have been fleecing ignorant buyers for centuries and centuries.

4) Your time is worth money. Getting a piece of garbage, then having to send it back, is a pain in the butt. Make sure you clearly understand the return policy of the site, and of the seller, since some sites allow sellers to have final sale items, or you pay a restocking fee and shipping, etc.

I do get a chuckle over the OP looking to buy a TV from semi-legit Sellers, and then planning to price match it. Why not then buy it from a great seller at a higher price and price match it? Why take the risk? Good luck on getting the manufacturer to honor your warranty when they ask for a receipt and see you bought it from some guy with a running engine on his truck.

I ordered a Workforce all in one by Epson....the seller did not proof read his ad...the price was $3.95
He did not ship...ignored my emails and ones from Amazon...after I called twice.
He is now a FORMER seller on Amazon.

TheDealMaker said:   Amazon has very strong protection for buyers.  Seller had to refund money upon request, no question asked.  I once sold a laptop that worked great without problem, I packaged it with care.  This lady decided to return it after more than 30 days by making up defect that I knew didn't exist.  I fight for it with Amazon but Amazon sided with her even though the representative knew that she's at fraud. This lady then decided to return my laptop in an ENVELOPE, not a box.  I am surprised that the laptop still worked after shipped in an envelope but the case had a dent on it.  

So I don't think you even need to worry as long as you are the buyer.

Heartily agree that there can be scammers on either side of the transaction.

If you buy it from Best Buy or local retailer it is overpriced and if you buy it online whether it is Amazon, jet or any major retailer, high chances are things will be fake or refurbished. It shows how consumer satisfaction doesn't matter any more and it is a new norm that you can scam people and no one cares because they themselves are scamming other customers at their work. 

belgique said:   I ordered a Workforce all in one by Epson....the seller did not proof read his ad...the price was $3.95
He did not ship...ignored my emails and ones from Amazon. ..after I called twice.
He is now a FORMER seller on Amazon

eh.. i dont really agree with that. Obviously a mistake. Shouldn't get out the pitch forks for it

quickfatwallet said:   https://www.amazon.com/Electronics-OLED55C6P-CURVE-55-INCH-ULTRA/dp/B01N6HQE81

I wanted to buy that item then price match it to ebuyusa or some nyc retailer using my citi price protection.  and get it for around $1100 in the end.

but is this Amazon seller legit?  How would I know?  I assume they are because Amazon is backing it, but does that mean anything?

With over 9500 reviews and a 96% approval rating I'd say they are legit. 

And they are an FBA seller of Amazon, and those people pass a more stringent process than a marketplace seller.

right now eBay sellers with no feed back and new seller ID that's less than a day old are selling iPad Air 2 128 gb cellular for 100$ 
i was tempted but then decided not to as most likely I would be fighting some kind of fraud ...
it's really crazy out there ...

EradicateSpam said:   Anyone who buys from a third party, on ANY site (AmazoneBay (which are all 3rd parties), WalMart, Sears, ...) should understand that:

1) Fake reviews are widespread, so widespread that sites Spring up to evaluate if reviews are fake.

2) Many people don't know jack about what they are buying.

3) If it sounds too good to be true, it is. This was true for your great-great grandparents, and is true today. The poster that said they paid $10 for over $200 routers, and then was surprised they weren't as expected, is simply naive or lacks intelligence. Sales people have been fleecing ignorant buyers for centuries and centuries.

4) Your time is worth money. Getting a piece of garbage, then having to send it back, is a pain in the butt. Make sure you clearly understand the return policy of the site, and of the seller, since some sites allow sellers to have final sale items, or you pay a restocking fee and shipping, etc.

I do get a chuckle over the OP looking to buy a TV from semi-legit Sellers, and then planning to price match it. Why not then buy it from a great seller at a higher price and price match it? Why take the risk? Good luck on getting the manufacturer to honor your warranty when they ask for a receipt and see you bought it from some guy with a running engine on his truck.

Don't get a chuckle. I was never actually planning on moving forward with the deal. I have just been trying to Grapple with the question of the legitimacy of Amazon sellers for a long time. And unless I got a straight away 100% go for it from everybody, I would have never moved forward with the deal.

The product is selling it all legitimate sellers for no less than $2,000  

utsavdesai said:   If you buy it from Best Buy or local retailer it is overpriced and if you buy it online whether it is Amazon, jet or any major retailer, high chances are things will be fake or refurbished. It shows how consumer satisfaction doesn't matter any more and it is a new norm that you can scam people and no one cares because they themselves are scamming other customers at their work. 
  Are you saying that mainstream retailers like  jet.com and  Amazon. com themselves scam us?  That they sell  refurbished products as new? Does anybody else have experience with this?  Is this true

quickfatwallet said:   
utsavdesai said:   If you buy it from Best Buy or local retailer it is overpriced and if you buy it online whether it is Amazon, jet or any major retailer, high chances are things will be fake or refurbished. It shows how consumer satisfaction doesn't matter any more and it is a new norm that you can scam people and no one cares because they themselves are scamming other customers at their work. 
  Are you saying that mainstream retailers like  jet.com and  Amazon. com themselves scam us?  That they sell  refurbished products as new? Does anybody else have experience with this?  Is this true

I have only received new merchandise when I purchased direct from Amazon (not third party sellers).  Amazon sells used & refurbished merchandise through Amazon Warehouse Deals and I have always been happy with my warehouse deals orders.

I would definitely verify if your price matching allows 3rd party sellers from sites like eBay and Amazon to be eligible and used at all. Some exclude these types of "deals". Many times it can be a "new" but has been opened or not really a sealed carton like you would get from a retailer. If the pricing is too good to be true, then you have to ask yourself if is is worth the risk and what the issues you could encounter if the item does not ship or is not as described. Amazon has a buyers protection and they also have 3rd party sellers that are selling merchandise not fulfilled by Amazon so subject to their 3rd party sellers write up on their buyers protection page.

Half of what is sold on Amazon comes from these 3rd party sellers. Amazon makes alot of money from these sellers with little risk on their part.Probably the biggest risk Amazon has with these sellers is the damage they are doing to Amazon's reputation.
It seems Amazon is all right with some customer's having to deal with scammers and long as it helps their bottom line.
Typical slimy corporation.

I am going to guess U did not call Amazon to complain.

So I made the call to Amazon today to get them to refund the 3 scammer items, and the person was acting like no one has ever had a complaint on Amazon for a fake seller. The one item I purchased was from a new seller, and they had no feedback, so I chanced it, now they 91 negatives and still I need to have Amazon send a give them 2 day email, even though I already did this, and then I'll have to wait for a week or two to get my refund.

I was looking for a new wireless router for the last week or so, mine kept dropping signal, there are easily 40 fake sellers listings in the 4 routers I was looking at on Amazon, unreal that Amazon continues to allow them.

I ended up ordering one from Costco, at least if I don't like it I can drop it off and get a cooked chicken. Costco.com was $20 cheaper than Amazon for the one I ended up with.

ivana said:   right now eBay sellers with no feed back and new seller ID that's less than a day old are selling iPad Air 2 128 gb cellular for 100$ 
i was tempted but then decided not to as most likely I would be fighting some kind of fraud ...
it's really crazy out there ...

Right now there is an eBay seller with ZERO feedback selling $100 BP gas cards, for $45. Lots of people have purchased them, I'm real sure they are not going to get anything but a sad face.

quickfatwallet said:   The product is selling it all legitimate sellers for no less than $2,000  
  So?  Price match is price match.  And, with Citi Price Rewind, they don't remove cash back points, so you would make $18.00 minus interest on your $900.

EradicateSpam said:   
quickfatwallet said:   The product is selling it all legitimate sellers for no less than $2,000  
  So?  Price match is price match.  And, with Citi Price Rewind, they don't remove cash back points, so you would make $18.00 minus interest on your $900.

Not 900.  500 is max allowed 

Lots of third party seller fraud on Amazon these days. Aside from the typical prolific flash memory or battery fraud that they never crack down on, there is outright fake shipping fraud where the seller inputs a legit tracking number, probably stolen from an Amazon hack, yet it never gets delivered to you. Amazon is unsypathetic to the buyer and an a to z claim, while it will eventually work, counts as a "strike" against the claimant for permanent banishment.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017