• filter:

Wireless Internet / Existing Deal thread

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi All,

I believe there is an existing deal thread concerning a company that offers a wireless hot-spot service. I remember this was some type of non-profit and you buy the unit and pay for a year in advance. I think it was around $250 unlimited.

Can anyone direct me to the FW link so I can re-review this thread.

Thanks

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Well another update. After enacting the below, disabling bands 26 & 41 on Franklin R850. Enabling band 25 only. I'm gett... (more)

zapjb (May. 03, 2017 @ 11:06a) |

I am currently with Charter so I get 60 and above down which is plenty for streaming videos.  Is your 12-15 enough to st... (more)

miqie (May. 03, 2017 @ 11:19a) |

Idk I don't stream. A few YT & linked vids that's my usage. Also this is location specific. You might get 30MB or 2MB.

zapjb (May. 03, 2017 @ 11:34a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Define "wireless"

Are you referring to "cellular" or LTE coverage? Or WiFi coverage for devices that do not have a cellular radio (ie a basic WiFi only tablet)?

rated:
I think it was Sprint LTE coverage. The old thread had quite a bit of discussion about the cost to buy the unit and paying a year in advance for unlimited Data and this non-profit being around to honor the buy in of $250

rated:
You might be talking about this

https://www.4gcommunity.org/nonprofits/

I don't see where they mention the data usage but 1 Year with Hotspot is $250

rated:
Thanks forbin4040 That's it....

rated:
forbin4040 said:   You might be talking about this

https://www.4gcommunity.org/nonprofits/

I don't see where they mention the data usage but 1 Year with Hotspot is $250

Very interesting.  On the "community store" page they have the products OP is talking about.  They specifically mention "No data limits. No throttling."  and there is a 7 day trial period.  Based on the HotSpot they are selling it does seem to be on Sprint's network.

Has anyone tried this?  This is a significant savings over my ISP.. even if what you get is "only" 50Mbps on Sprint's Spark LTE.

rated:
There was a prolonged thread somewhere concerning this plan, maybe over @ SD....

Anyway, Just ordered the $250 plan + $15 for membership-shipping

rated:
who do you deal with when you need support ?? hope its not like Ringplus or FreedomPop where tech support was non-existent..

rated:
tpgs said:   There was a prolonged thread somewhere concerning this plan, maybe over @ SD....

Anyway, Just ordered the $250 plan + $15 for membership-shipping

Pease, please post a review after your 7 day trial period.  I'm very interested in this service esp. streaming movies and such.  I would like to interface it with my Chromecast if thats possible.

rated:
I'm very interested as well. Please let us know how this works out.

rated:
It says $168 per year after the first year

rated:
Bookmarked for future.

rated:
I saw this at, perhaps, just the right time. Comcast just upped my price by $20/month. If this actually works as a primary Internet connection (I use OTA antenna even with Comcast) then I'm in. I do stream with a Roku and can Download pretty big files as I also play with Linux Distributions. Subscribed to thread.

rated:
We would just as soon divorce Charter for something like this, however my Tivo Roamio , the cable and ota version, still needs an Ethernet connection to send to the mini in another room. Is there a way other than MOCA--we tried it wasn't good-- to take wireless and allow a plug in Ethernet for the Tivo ?

rated:
LORENW said:   We would just as soon divorce Charter for something like this, however my Tivo Roamio , the cable and ota version, still needs an Ethernet connection to send to the mini in another room. Is there a way other than MOCA--we tried it wasn't good-- to take wireless and allow a plug in Ethernet for the Tivo ?
  How about a wireless ethernet bridge?  It's a device that connects to another network device (like a router) wirelessly, via WiFi, but has an ethernet switch built into it.  I use one at home to connect my media server to my WiFi network; the media server has just a wired ethernet connection.  I made my own wireless ethernet bridge using an old Linksys router + installing Tomato firmware - but you can just buy one.  Not sure what they cost.

rated:
Rick505 said:   I saw this at, perhaps, just the right time. Comcast just upped my price by $20/month. If this actually works as a primary Internet connection (I use OTA antenna even with Comcast) then I'm in. I do stream with a Roku and can Download pretty big files as I also play with Linux Distributions. Subscribed to thread.
Same here - I am sick of Crapcast playing this game and looking for alternatives.

rated:
Found one review of the Franklin R850 Mobile Hotspot

rated:
LORENW said:   We would just as soon divorce Charter for something like this, however my Tivo Roamio , the cable and ota version, still needs an Ethernet connection to send to the mini in another room. Is there a way other than MOCA--we tried it wasn't good-- to take wireless and allow a plug in Ethernet for the Tivo ?
  Can you upgrade the Tivo to a unit that has WiFi?

Like stated above, there are a lot of good units that will pick up wifi and and bridge it into ethernet. Although, you could probably take the sim card out of the hotspot and install it into a router that accepts sims, that way you have the ports for direct connections.

rated:
  My router will let me plug most hotspots into it directly via USB.  It treats them just like any other type on internet connection.  I have tested 3 different hotpots with no trouble.
Asus RT-AC68U

EDIT: The hotspot they sell may not support USB tethering so the above option might not be possible with that hotspot.  I would see if USB tethering is supported and if not ask if they allow BYOD(Bring Your Own Device).  USB tethering to your router is the best option unless you can get a home router with built in cellular compatibility.  Hotspots don't usually have good range and they are designed with low power consumption in mind.  That is why a regular router should do all of the heavy lifting for you.  The hotspot should only be used to connect you to the internet and not to connect your home network together.  Most portable hotspots can do routing between devices in your home but they won't do it very well compared to a traditional router.

The other option I would consider is a WiFi connection from the Hotspot to a router in bridge mode.  Then connect the bridged router to your current router via ethernet.  It seems a little convoluted but if the hotspot does not support USB tethering I believe this will give you the best performance. 

rated:
Does the Franklin 850 come with a AC charger & can it be used while charging? Or does the unit/service only work on battery power & not AC? In the 4GC TOS (paraphrasing): not to be used continuously. Does this mean I should shut it down when not in use? Does the F850 get warm or hot after extended up-time?

rated:
keaton85 said:   
  Can you upgrade the Tivo to a unit that has WiFi?

Like stated above, there are a lot of good units that will pick up wifi and and bridge it into ethernet. Although, you could probably take the sim card out of the hotspot and install it into a router that accepts sims, that way you have the ports for direct connections.

The Tivo unit I have does have wifi, to get inet for itself, however it needs a wired connection to send signal out to another mini unit, they don't do wifi due to speed limitations
If I only had a one room tv setup, then wifi is all I would need

rated:
giqcass said:   
  My router will let me plug most hotspots into it directly via USB.  It treats them just like any other type on internet connection.  I have tested 3 different hotpots with no trouble.
Asus RT-AC68U

EDIT: The hotspot they sell may not support USB tethering so the above option might not be possible with that hotspot.  I would see if USB tethering is supported and if not ask if they allow BYOD(Bring Your Own Device).  USB tethering to your router is the best option unless you can get a home router with built in cellular compatibility.  Hotspots don't usually have good range and they are designed with low power consumption in mind.  That is why a regular router should do all of the heavy lifting for you.  The hotspot should only be used to connect you to the internet and not to connect your home network together.  Most portable hotspots can do routing between devices in your home but they won't do it very well compared to a traditional router.

The other option I would consider is a WiFi connection from the Hotspot to a router in bridge mode.  Then connect the bridged router to your current router via ethernet.  It seems a little convoluted but if the hotspot does not support USB tethering I believe this will give you the best performance. 

My Tp-Link ac3200  has a usb plug as well, I guess the next question is does the hot spot item have a usb to transmit inet, or is theirs only to charge the battery?
​We can easily get along without Charter Cable, the inet is the only thing we really need, The Tivo does OTA recording, along with streaming of several sources, I also have a couple Nvidia Shields that handle tv content.

rated:
I jumped I bought the Starter Bundle. $125 - $5 PAYITFORWARD promo code = $120 otd. Includes Franklin 850, 1 month service & $15 4GC "membership". We shall see. Hoping for the best.

rated:
zapjb said:   I jumped I bought the Starter Bundle. $125 - $5 PAYITFORWARD promo code = $120 otd. Includes Franklin 850, 1 month service & $15 4GC "membership". We shall see. Hoping for the best.
Please share your experience with us.
I'm very much interested in this as I want to completely cut the cord.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
zapjb said:   I jumped I bought the Starter Bundle. $125 - $5 PAYITFORWARD promo code = $120 otd. Includes Franklin 850, 1 month service & $15 4GC "membership". We shall see. Hoping for the best.

I'm also interested.  I only have Comcast & Frontier in my area.  Comcast is bad, Frontier is worst.  I'd like to say goodbye to Comcast.

rated:
ablang said:   
marcopolomle said:   

I'm also interested.  I only have Comcast & Frontier in my area.  Comcast is bad, Frontier is worst.  I'd like to say goodbye to Comcast.

I'm interested as well.  I would be glad to be able to get Comcast or Frontier.  I have only 1 option in my area not including satellite or cellular.   Satellite isn't really an option given things like latency, price, and data caps.  Where I live I can't even get a pizza delivered.

rated:
giqcass said:   
ablang said:   
marcopolomle said:   

I'm interested as well.  I would be glad to be able to get Comcast or Frontier.  I have only 1 option in my area not including satellite or cellular.   Satellite isn't really an option given things like latency, price, and data caps.  Where I live I can't even get a pizza delivered. 

Is this really Matt Damon?

rated:
miqie said:     Is this really Matt Damon?
  Wish I got the joke.

rated:
Update: Just got the Franklin R850 from 4GC. Setup was SUPER EASY!!!

My usual internet is DSL @ 6MB/1MB.

First speed test with R850 is 10.08MB/4.56MB.

Others questions? I'll do my best to answer.

Edit: Early days & small sample 3x each after PRL Update. Roughly averaged.
No battery - 2.75MB/4MB crazy slow.
Battery & Plugged in - 14MB/8MB got faster after updating PRL.
Battery alone - 19MB/9MB

Wild differences depending on powered options.

rated:
The Franklin 850 has a usb port, but it is for charging of the battery only

There is another unit on a similar deal, ZTE Pocket Wifi device, that has a tethering usb port, $410 the first year and $255 thereafter, unlimited and no caps on Sprint Spark Network, faster speeds in theory.

rated:
It's evening out a lot. I believe the early results I got were break-in period variances. But I'm having to reboot the hotspot every ~4hrs. Is this usual? I wonder if I'm missing some "always on, never sleep" setting in the web GUI.

I am now using it plugged in without the battery & the speeds are comparable.

rated:
Another update almost had the 4GC R850 2 days now. I moved the R850 3' away which is a bit sideways which brought it to 5' from the window. Using AC power no battery. The power cord is now stretched out about 2' before it was all clumped up.

Since these minor changes I don't think I've had a disconnect or slowed downed to a crawl yet. Speeds have been 12MB-25MB mostly around 18MB. Upload is consistent at 5MB-7MB. Pings at 40ms-75ms.

I also installed Networx last free version at MajorGeeks to see how much data I'm using. Wasn't a thought at all with DSL. I know that 4GC is unlimited but a lot of other providers have maxs. Surprised I'm using over 4GB per day.

I was trying to find the documentation that said to use the R850 without the battery then I found that it was in my 4GC welcome letter.

rated:
Thanks, keep us up to date on how things go.

rated:
UPDATE: Now had had this little unit running for 12 days straight. Located in remote area of southwestern PA and averaging 4MB download speed (1.5 up). Huge backups to DROPBOX folders (gigs daily). Very happy so far.

rated:
zapjb said:   Another update almost had the 4GC R850 2 days now. I moved the R850 3' away which is a bit sideways which brought it to 5' from the window. Using AC power no battery. The power cord is now stretched out about 2' before it was all clumped up.

Since these minor changes I don't think I've had a disconnect or slowed downed to a crawl yet. Speeds have been 12MB-25MB mostly around 18MB. Upload is consistent at 5MB-7MB. Pings at 40ms-75ms.

I also installed Networx last free version at MajorGeeks to see how much data I'm using. Wasn't a thought at all with DSL. I know that 4GC is unlimited but a lot of other providers have maxs. Surprised I'm using over 4GB per day.

I was trying to find the documentation that said to use the R850 without the battery then I found that it was in my 4GC welcome letter.

Do you have this running through a router?  I have a Chromecast, which needs a router to work and was wondering about using a router with this device.

rated:
@miqie
No router.

Also I'm having to reboot about every ~6 hours. To me it's no biggie. I'm happy. This is subjective but I turn it off, wait 2 minutes, turn it on, wait 2 minutes & start using.

rated:
Here is how you would need to set this hotspot up to make it work all through the house properly.  Other hotspots can plug in to a router directly which would make it easier.  See attached drawing.

Notes: WAN(internet) port of router 2 should be connected to LAN port of Bridged router 1.  I recommend Router 1 and 2 be set to separate channels to reduce interference.  Bridged router 1 and hotspot should be near each other and placed so the hotspot gets the best reception.  Router 2 should be placed for best coverage of your home. 

EDIT:

Q: How does the wireless from the hotspot get into the first  bridged router?
A: The first router logs on to the hotspot via WiFi.  In the setup process you will tell router 1(bridged router) to scan for WiFi. You will select the SSID of the hotspot and then type in the password for the hotspot.  Very similar to how you add the hopspot to your phone or laptop.

Q: What kind of IP address will you get with above configuration?
A: The ip address will be a local ip address no different then you would normally get with a router connected to any other ISP.  You can make the local IP addresses either static or dynamic.  If you are referring to the IP address the outside world will see(WAN IP) that IP address will be dynamic but that is determined by the internet provider.  Some hotspots allow you to set up a static WAN IP address but Sprint does not appear to support that.  I don't know of any way to change that other then paying for a static IP using a VPN service.   I don't recommend that unless you are doing it for security purposes.

Q: Can I bring my own device?
A: Thanks for writing us.  Under our program, our devices, SIMs and plan are tightly integrated to allow for the benefits.  So, we cannot support BYOD or the transfer of SIMs from one device to another.

rated:
@ gigcass Excellent simple to understand drawing. Automatically I thought it'd be too complicated.

rated:
giqcass said:   Here is how you would need to set this hotspot up to make it work all through the house properly.  Other hotspots can plug in to a router directly which would make it easier.  See attached drawing.

Notes: WAN(internet) port of router 2 should be connected to LAN port of Bridged router 1.  I recommend Router 1 and 2 be set to separate channels to reduce interference.  Bridged router 1 and hotspot should be near each other and placed so the hotspot gets the best reception.  Router 2 should be placed for best coverage of your home. 

How does the wireless from the hotspot get into the first  bridged router?

​This is much like the idea I had in mind. I want wired router to run Ethernet connection into my Tivo Roamio, and then out to our Tivo Mini

Skipping 22 Messages...
rated:
miqie said:   
zapjb said:   Well another update. After enacting the below, disabling bands 26 & 41 on Franklin R850. Enabling band 25 only. I'm getting no disconnects or slow downs with steady 12-15MB/7-12MB. Pretty amazing. YMMV.

DSL Reports 
MrEdL 2017-Apr-20 3:21 pm
".... I take no responsibility if you or anyone whom uses this information with averse results. I will take kudos if this improves your service....
myhotspot/hidden

& as suggested @ S****D**** 4gcommunity.org Unlimited Hotspot....................   Posts #956 & 965 by eagleshen

I am currently with Charter so I get 60 and above down which is plenty for streaming videos.  Is your 12-15 enough to stream without buffering?  I would love to dump Charter if this device works sufficiently.  

Idk I don't stream. A few YT & linked vids that's my usage. Also this is location specific. You might get 30MB or 2MB.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017