• filter:

UPS unveils Saturday delivery -- and 6,000 new jobs -- in most areas by end of 2017

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Hah, I walked out of an interview there as soon as they said you aren't allowed to have any facial hair.

rated:
draculatreeforest said:   Hah, I walked out of an interview there as soon as they said you aren't allowed to have any facial hair.

But drivers can smoke big fat cigars without issues...

I need to leave my packages 4-6 hours to air out...

rated:
Maybe the thousands laid off at:
Macy's 
Kmart 
Hh Greg
Cat Tracter
JC Penny
can apply for those jobs....

rated:
The U.S. Postal Service and FedEx both offer ground delivery on Saturday so UPS is forced to respond.

rated:
belgique said:   Maybe the thousands laid off at:
Macy's 
Kmart 
Hh Greg
Cat Tracter
JC Penny
can apply for those jobs....

no one was laid off from Hh Greg or JC Penny.

people will be laid off from HH Gregg and JC Penney.

rated:
They're now targeting widespread rollout of autonomous vehicles for rideshares by 2021. I wonder how far behind these delivery services will be. I would guess by 2025, all these jobs, and another hundred thousand like them (ie all truck drivers, taxi drivers), will disappear.
Unfortunately, it's not like the industrial revolution, where these people can just switch to new low-level jobs. Intelligent machines are simply making routine jobs obsolete. Anyone with an IQ below 100 will be in serious trouble in 10 years, since any machine can beat them in cost and accuracy, and they don't have the capability to retrain into hi-tech jobs.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   They're now targeting widespread rollout of autonomous vehicles for rideshares by 2021. I wonder how far behind these delivery services will be. I would guess by 2025, all these jobs, and another hundred thousand like them (ie all truck drivers, taxi drivers), will disappear.

You still need to get the package out of the truck and onto the persons porch.
Amazon is testing a store concept that eliminates all the checkout people. If you want to guarantee a job in the future, just be the one who fixes the machines.

As to UPS I kind of liked not having Saturday delivery.

rated:
JamesTKirk said:   
canoeguy1 said:   They're now targeting widespread rollout of autonomous vehicles for rideshares by 2021. I wonder how far behind these delivery services will be. I would guess by 2025, all these jobs, and another hundred thousand like them (ie all truck drivers, taxi drivers), will disappear.

You still need to get the package out of the truck and onto the persons porch.
Amazon is testing a store concept that eliminates all the checkout people. If you want to guarantee a job in the future, just be the one who fixes the machines.

As to UPS I kind of liked not having Saturday delivery.

The person fixing those complex machines will be very highly skilled. It's more about software than mechanics. Autonomous vehicles need absolutely failsafe sensors, and the fix has to be perfect or people die..That won't be a job you can do with a GED. 
There also won't be very many of those jobs. One person can fix many machines. Think about washing machines. Imagine how many man-hours it took to do all the wash for all people across the US? Now think about how many people make a living fixing washing machines. Those man-hours are a tiny fraction of the labor 100 years ago.

BTW: People can be given a 40 gal. lockbox where their mailbox now is. The machine will simply deposit the package (and the USPS mail) into the lockbox. It's a far better and more secure place than a porch. The delivery man will go the way of the milkman.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017