Costco Executive Membership? Why are they so pushy?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I'm very curious if Costco employee have some sort of quota or incentive to upgrade people to executive.

My husband went upgraded last year and it was not worth it to us. This year I tried to downgrade to the gold membership and worse then the episode of friends with the gym memberships. I was passed from person to person with high pressure and one lady almost cried to make me stay. After 45 minutes and me not backing down and the store closing they finally downgraded me and gave me the $58 back.

I would have just cancelled the membership altogether but there are no other stores like Costco close by and I do use their rental car, insurance and pharmacy benefits a lot, I just don't buy much in the store other then chicken, produce and frozen vegies.

I just have never seen 5 employees stop what they were doing just to focus on one customer's membership. The lines became so long, at least 12 deep since only 3 registered were open and it was closing and 5 people were coaching me to stay executive. It really seemed like their jobs depended on it.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I was told that their only profit comes from membership fees and that the markup on the stuff they sell is so low 2-5% that they couldn't stay in business for that long. Don't know, I do spend a lot at Costco 5k+ a year gas + food. Rarely buy something else from there.

Why not be pushy?

Best Buy, Staples, Target all push Extended Warranties.
Costco pushes Exec membership.

sisterbear30 said:   I'm very curious if Costco employee have some sort of quota or incentive to upgrade people to executive.

My husband went upgraded last year and it was not worth it to us. This year I tried to downgrade to the gold membership and worse then the episode of friends with the gym memberships. I was passed from person to person with high pressure and one lady almost cried to make me stay. After 45 minutes and me not backing down and the store closing they finally downgraded me and gave me the $58 back.

I would have just cancelled the membership altogether but there are no other stores like Costco close by and I do use their rental car, insurance and pharmacy benefits a lot, I just don't buy much in the store other then chicken, produce and frozen vegies.

I just have never seen 5 employees stop what they were doing just to focus on one customer's membership. The lines became so long, at least 12 deep since only 3 registered were open and it was closing and 5 people were coaching me to stay executive. It really seemed like their jobs depended on it.

Why would you not keep executive membership?  they guarantee cash back or make up the difference between executive and standards membership.

starcrossed said:   
sisterbear30 said:   I'm very curious if Costco employee have some sort of quota or incentive to upgrade people to executive.

Why would you not keep executive membership?  they guarantee cash back or make up the difference between executive and standards membership.

AFAIK the guaranteed cash back if you didn't reach the minimum is a thing of the past.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017