• filter:

Where to get Appliances under budget - First time home buyer, please help

• Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi Friends,

We just closed on a house and the house came with no appliances except dishwasher. I need to buy range, refrigerator, microwave, washer and dryer. Please tell where to buy it and if there is advantage to open a store credit card to buy these things. We are getting gas connection for the range so we can buy gas range. 

So looking for gas range with convection oven, there is no hood so we need microwave with ventilation at bottom, some basic washer and dryer with basic knob functionality and refrigerator has to be counter depth as the space is very small. Looking for something around $3000-$4000 maximum. Also buying extended warranty is it worth it? Please help, appreciate the replies,

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I only buy scratch and dent models...saves a ton

BD929 (Apr. 11, 2017 @ 6:51p) |

Most of my recommendations have already been covered here. Only thing I would add is to check estatesales.net in your ar... (more)

horspowr1001 (Apr. 13, 2017 @ 1:45p) |

Sorry to hijack this thread with a somewhat related question:

Has anyone seen higher end appliances available on the chea... (more)

ssgcinty (Apr. 14, 2017 @ 1:15a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
tamilgirl77 said:   Hi Friends,

We just closed on a house and the house came with no appliances except dishwasher. I need to buy range, refrigerator, microwave, washer and dryer. Please tell where to buy it and if there is advantage to open a store credit card to buy these things. We are getting gas connection for the range so we can buy gas range. 

So looking for gas range with convection oven, there is no hood so we need microwave with ventilation at bottom, some basic washer and dryer with basic knob functionality and refrigerator has to be counter depth as the space is very small. Looking for something around $3000-$4000 maximum. Also buying extended warranty is it worth it? Please help, appreciate the replies,

Go with Lowes/home depot - they usually do 0% finance or 5% off.  Plus sometimes, if you go to post office for address change/new owner package - you can get coupons.
Warranty tends to be expensive, and i'm not sure if they're worth it or not.  Most of applicable usually will outlast the warranties.

i would research price online and then go with one of the big stores like Lowes/homedepot & such.  I think they do price match and very easy to return or change orders with them.

rated:
Check Plesser's. For Memorial Day last year, their kitchen appliance deals were much better than the box stores or other online vendors. I don't know about the non-sale prices, but at least you can compare. There's no tax unless you are in NY. Shipping is free on $1000+ orders. I also got rebates on my items. Great customer service: There were a couple of dents on the refrigerator when the delivery crew removed it from the box. I had a choice to get a new one, have the doors replaced, or receive a discount. You probably want something sooner than Memorial Day, but you will get better pricing if you can wait!

rated:
Some credit cards extend the warranty on your purchases. There are exclusions so check carefully. Using a major CC with warranty may be more beneficial than getting a store card and the benefits that it provides.
Purchase online via ebates, or through your credit card portal (for example Discover Deals) to get cashback on your purchase.

rated:
If you're in Chicago area, I suggest ABT Appliances in Glenview.  If you're getting fridge with ice and water dispenser then I highly recommend a four year extended warranty. 

rated:
Look for a Sears Outlet nearby - I have purchased many dent/scratch appliances at far below retail and then polished/buffed/concealed marks to make them look flawless. I recently purchased a GE electric double-oven/range combo for $775 and it was brand new, never installed with a small dent on the left side (that faces a cabinet and will never be seen); can't find deals much better than that!

rated:
Craigslist, obviously.

rated:
+1 for craigslist. Try to focus on areas with higher end homes. People will sell their 4-5 year old appliances because they're renovating. Get everything from one place and it will also all match.

rated:
Craigslist or your neighborhood Surplus Auction.

rated:
If you are buying new I also recommend ABT. They don't have any local stores to me, but were very helpful -- and beat all the big box stores on price. No sales tax if you aren't in a state where you they have stores, although you will pay for shipping. In the end I came out over $1k better on price w/ them.

rated:
My wife and I just search craigslist, picked up a Fisher & Paykel drawer Dish washer for $75, and some nice Viking stoves come up every once in a while. It's amazing the high end stuff can be pretty cheap on CL. Although, to each their own as I personally never buy new unless it's a time issue.

rated:
You can sometimes find great clearance models at Lowes or Home Depot. You will find different inventory at each individual location. May not all match, and YMMV. So if you are in a time crunch, best bet might be a Sears clearance center (usually a few dents or scratches- or worse), or a local appliance store near you.

rated:
See if there's an HHGREGG near you. They're about to liquidate the chain (CompUSA style liquidation) according to the trade mag Total Retail Report. Appliances will have manufacturer warranties.

rated:
themew said:   See if there's an HHGREGG near you. They're about to liquidate the chain (CompUSA style liquidation) according to the trade mag Total Retail Report. Appliances will have manufacturer warranties.
If it's CompUSA style, then they will mark the price up 50%, then set a liquidation price of 10-20% off.  

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   
themew said:   See if there's an HHGREGG near you. They're about to liquidate the chain (CompUSA style liquidation) according to the trade mag Total Retail Report. Appliances will have manufacturer warranties.
If it's CompUSA style, then they will mark the price up 50%, then set a liquidation price of 10-20% off.  

Agreed!  Everything gets marked up to full retail MSRP, then they start the markdowns from there.  By the time the discounts become meaningful, all the good stuff is gone.  You will get a better price at Lowes or Home Depot during a regular sale. 

rated:
Stubtify said:   +1 for craigslist. Try to focus on areas with higher end homes. People will sell their 4-5 year old appliances because they're renovating. Get everything from one place and it will also all match.
  Yes, +1. My washer/dryer set is going good 5th year now.

rated:
NoMoneyInMyWallet said:   

Yeah, CompUSA was a bad example...  I was going for ''they're selling everything down to the fixtures and floor tiles'' hoping the OP can find a bargain on some new appliances.  
 I forgot the scam-style liquidation of CompUSA.  Please forgive me

rated:
Another vote for Sears outlet.

rated:
I just bought a refrigerator, range and dishwasher at Lowes.  We were just thinking about it, not quite ready to pull the trigger.  The sales associate entered everything in the computer and asked, "Do you want me to submit a bid?"  I asked how that worked, and he told me that they can submit a bid to corporate for a discount based on the bundle that we were purchasing.  We got the bid back in a few minutes - 12% off the appliance prices and 20% off the accessories (a dishwasher hookup kit and a cord for the range).  Note that we could NOT bundle a new credit card discount or any other discount with that "final price."  According to the sales clerk, we were getting the price that contractors typically pay.

My advice would be - no matter where you are shopping - act like you're buying, have them put the order together, and then ask them what kind of discount they can give you.

rated:
dcwilbur said:   I just bought a refrigerator, range and dishwasher at Lowes.  We were just thinking about it, not quite ready to pull the trigger.  The sales associate entered everything in the computer and asked, "Do you want me to submit a bid?"  
My advice would be - no matter where you are shopping - act like you're buying, have them put the order together, and then ask them what kind of discount they can give you.

That's what I did at Lowes when I bought all new appliances for my previous home that I was updating before I sold it.

rated:
Buy during Thanksgiving sale and hold it till you move.

rated:
Big NO NO on Cragslist! Craigslist is NOT for first-time home buyer because they generally don't really know what to look for! Go to a Homedepot/Lowes/Fry's/IKEA like other have suggested. You could ask the stuff as many questions as you could, don't worry about getting ripped off by a stranger. You could also arrange delivery option for a reasonable price.

rated:
narrow down on models which you like and fit your budget and then select the store which you like ( i prefer to go with Costco, as they have 2 year warranty + it extends to another 2 if you pay with Costco visa card + free install along with all installation accessories like gas pipe for stove and water pipe for refrigerator etc) ( if not costco member pay with any citi card)
and then submit price match request with Citi. it works ( i price matched refrigerator and stove, i bough from costco, they found lower price with some chicago based store on their own and refunded me 230$) and i got 4 year warranty as well)
Citi price rewind search for price in 90 day window, which makes it better to score a deal.

rated:
Facebook. Find the most popular sales groups in your area and join them.

It's what Craigslist used to be, mostly private sellers trying to move their old stuff.

If you go used, no matter what medium you choose to find sellers, take basic precautions. Let someone know where you're going, always inspect or bring someone that will, and cash and carry, no shipping, no prepaying, they are usually scams.

rated:
I always go to Sears and Sears Outlet. Also, scratch and dent store (we have one nearby which has great and reliable items at a great price.), used gas dryer - they never give trouble and usually last forever. Only buy a good gas stove, not a low end one -

rated:
On thing about buying a fridge from CL and transporting it home yourself in a van or a truck, try to keep the fridge upright during the entire transport. If it must be laid down on its side then wait at least an hour before plugging into the electric outlet. The reason is that if it's laid on its side then the Freon will exit the compressor and get into the circulation lines and it must be drained back to the compressor before turning it on. Otherwise you may have big problem.

rated:
Wow so many replies, just got back from the house and saw the replies, I will read one by one and ask my questions. Thank you all, appreciate all the replies

rated:
never heard of plessers, is it a good place

rated:
1) Check via Next door neighbours in your community vs Craigslist
2) Check for Sears outlet, sometimes even if they have to ship from a different store, it is much cheaper than buying new.
3) Instead of warranty from Sears for appliance, American Home Shield warranty might be better. A complete warranty runs about $45ish / month.
4) For Indian cooking, I would not advise the Built in Microwaver. They are expensive to buy, install and generally die in 3-4 years due to grease built up.
We had 2 microwaves die that way. Now we have a Range hood and a counter top microwave (Costco | Black friday sales, ...)

I would advise to get W/D from known people (if used) or Sears outlet for semi-new. Totally old used, I am not sure if it is a good idea if you have kids.
Who knows what disease the people might have had and if it is not 100% sanitized.....

PM me for more info.

rated:
+1 on CL.

Abe of Main also tends to have good deals at times.  Check online for coupons at sites like retail me not.  I agree with buying them with a credit card that offers free warranty extension.  Read the T&C's, as some items are excluded.  Also, service depends on card.  Amex tends to be much better than Visa (which rejected a claim for me once because a small portion of the sales price was paid with a gift card.. so beware.  Amex will just refund the part that was paid with their card.)

If you absolutely need a warranty, Squaretrade oftentimes offers better deals than the box store.  

One more thing - if you want to figure out which appliances are of good quality, Consumer Reports is your friend.  Sign up for a subscription, or visit your local library. 

rated:
I recommend Best Buy and check out any open box items that are at the store. Last year I bought a high end Samsung refrigerator that retail for $4,000, but had a few dents that still had all the styrofoam in it.  Got it for $1,700. Check out some sales during Easter & Memorial Day also.

You should be able to fit into your budget. $600 for the range, $200 for the microwave, washer/dryer for $1200 (front load too), and under $1,800 for the counter depth fridge.

Here's a quick example without shopping much:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-1-6-cu-ft-over-the-range-mic... 
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-5-8-cu-ft-freestanding-gas-r... 
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-22-3-cu-ft-counter-depth-sid... 
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-4-5-cu-ft-9-cycle-front-loading-w... 
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-7-4-cu-ft-8-cycle-electric-dryer-... 

rated:
I was .shopping for a dryer for almost a year, ours was doing the job but not like it used too and I fixed it a couple times. I checked many of the afore mentioned brick and mortar sites as well as online. I ended up purchasing a returned dryer at Lowe's. It was not scratch and dent nor was it ever used (lint screen was clean, clean, clean). It was marked down and the weekend i went, all their returns and scratch/dent were an extra 30% off. I was not even planning on buying that day, but 6-8 months ago I didn't buy and missed a great deal...

I agree regarding using a CC with warranty coverage and cash back. I called my wife to bring me one for that purpose.

Essentially, shop around online, see what is in your budget and with good/great reviews. Then compare to brick and mortar stores and their discounted inventory. Take your time and research.

I checked Sears Outlet, but locally their staff were terrible so I won't go back for a while, but worth a look.

rated:
You don't have to have a Sears Outlet Store in your area to take advantage of shopping at Sears Outlet prices. You can Google Sears Outlet and choose your local Retail Sears store and shop online. I would also check the closest stores around me if they are within driving distance BUT call to make sure the item is in stock before you make the drive!

You can either get some incredible deals or end up frustrated that the item you bought is not "in stock".

And you're not locked into taking it home with you if it's damaged or something. They may ask you to pay for it but then turn around and give you an immediate refund. Or have it repaired under warranty.

Bosch dishwasher.  Best ever. 

rated:
When I was just starting out, I bought the cheapest stuff I could find that was still RoHS compliant or UL certified at WalMart or the thrift store. Didn't need a $80 chrome toaster when a $4 plastic one worked just as well. For most of the bigger stuff that you mentioned, I'd go with anything on sale at Lowes, Home Depot or Sears that has good reviews and a good service/repair warranty. If you can't afford all of that at-once, I'd look on Craigslist, especially on the pages of little and small towns a few miles away from the big city. Out in the far reaches, people often give used clothes dryers, refrigerators, desks and tables away just to free of them. Also, check out the https://www.freecycle.org/ site to see if there is any for free stuff in your area. Last but not least, do check the thrift store. There I have found some good finds, but be warned, that you should test anything to ensure it works before buying it and taking it home. Very often, they may have so much inventory that they aren't able to fully test all of it. And if you choose the thrift store route, do your sales in-person. Their websites tend to be ripoffs in most cases. Oh, and check out the dumpsters of big college and university frat houses and dorms right before they go on Spring break or towards the end of their semester calendars. Out-of-state students rushing to move throw a lot of good stuff away, including flat screen TVs. microwaves and mini fridges that they can't cheaply ship or take onboard the plane with them. You'd be surprised by what you find.

rated:
JCP allows you to stack their coupons with competitors price matches. A few months ago we bought our clothes washer at JCP. They price matched the $499 sale price of an LG WM3270CW washer from Home Depot and then we stacked a 10% JCP coupon as well. The price was reduced from list of $799 to $449.10 plus tax, delivered and installed.

rated:
m2go said:   
Abe of Main also tends to have good deals at times.  Check online for coupons at sites like retail me not.  I agree with buying them with a credit card that offers free warranty extension.  Read the T&C's, as some items are excluded.  Also, service depends on card.  Amex tends to be much better than Visa (which rejected a claim for me once because a small portion of the sales price was paid with a gift card.. so beware.  Amex will just refund the part that was paid with their card.)

Abe's of Maine seems pretty famous for selling gray market products (mostly cameras from the articles I'm browsing now), in those cases you end up with no US warranty so the credit card protection is your only hope. Do they pull the same crap with appliances?

rated:
prozario said:   
tamilgirl77 said:   Hi Friends,

Go with Lowes /home depot - they usually do 0% finance or 5% off.  Plus sometimes, if you go to post office for address change/new owner package - you can get coupons.
Warranty tends to be expensive, and i'm not sure if they're worth it or not.  Most of applicable usually will outlast the warranties.

i would research price online and then go with one of the big stores like Lowes /homedepot & such.  I think they do price match and very easy to return or change orders with them.

Costco can be a great place if you really want a long warranty.  They double the manufacturers warranty plus add 2 more year to it with use of their Visa card.  Additional warranties can be purchased as well to get about 7+ year warranty on a fridge.  Plus, their price was better than everywhere else in town when I had to buy new a few months back.  Selection is limited though.

rated:
Also - avoid the flashy digital control panels and other complicated features - go with analog controls.  They are less prone to failure and cheaper to replace.

And especially with washers and dryers, I avoid "high efficiency."  That's code for "the government forced us to build a machine that uses less water and electricity but it takes longer and doesn't do a very good job washing clothes."  A good old top loading washer with an agitator isn't just cheaper; it's better.

rated:
i shopped around long weekend. Lowes had sale on washer dryers and home depot on refrigerator. asked best buy to price match + throw in some goodies- they did it. also got 0% financing

Skipping 9 Messages...
rated:
Sorry to hijack this thread with a somewhat related question:

Has anyone seen higher end appliances available on the cheap (wolf/subzero/ge monogram etc)?
I have been looking for months but no luck. The only sale are the ones where you get a few hundred $ rebate or free dishwasher.
But I have not seen any scratch/dent or floor models either.

I am not comfortable with eBay purchases for these appliances.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017