Best VPN provider for 2017?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Wondering what the best VPN to get is?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Remember, that the VPN provides an easy to access aggregation point. One with no rules

You might get more responses in the Technology forum.
You can ask the mods to move your thread there, if you want.

Define 'best'?

I liked HideMyAss the best, I currently use SlickVPN but it's a bit spotty.

There are always newspaper, magazine, and website articles on this topic --

I've seen a lot more in the last few days, since the data-collection/monetization law was changed.

I'm pretty sure I've seen "how to get a VPN, which one is best" articles in the New York Times and the Guardian newspaper sites this week, plus they must be ubiquitous on technology websites right now.

If you are looking for the particular views of frequent Fatwallet participants, I can say that when this question has been asked here in the past, typically the responses on FW have varied along the same lines as the options presented in those "how-to, which-is-best" articles.

forbin4040 said:   Define 'best'?

I liked HideMyAss the best, I currently use SlickVPN but it's a bit spotty.

Best is free.

here's couple of deals on lifetime vpn subscriptions.
https://deals.gdgt.com/search?cat=390&query=VPN&sort=best_seller...

i bought windscribe life time, using it from last couple of weeks.
doesn't slow down my internet & auto-connects my mac to vpn.

FWIW I use PIA (PrivateInternetAccess.com) They have multiple servers US and abroad. Speeds are decent, on a 200mbs line I usually top out around 40mbs. Its cheap, around 4ish a month. And the best part is they don't log anything.

Depends on what you are looking for. I've found this site to be pretty comprehensive and they have done a lot of the comparisons of different features for you:

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/

shyboi said:   FWIW I use PIA (PrivateInternetAccess.com) They have multiple servers US and abroad. Speeds are decent, on a 200mbs line I usually top out around 40mbs. Its cheap, around 4ish a month. And the best part is they don't log anything.
  Thanks for the input.  I don't think that speed is too decent though... Does the software have capability to bypass some websites (i.e., have it so VPN is on but will not encrypt/tunnel Netflix)?

Xnarg1 said:   
shyboi said:   FWIW I use PIA (PrivateInternetAccess.com) They have multiple servers US and abroad. Speeds are decent, on a 200mbs line I usually top out around 40mbs. Its cheap, around 4ish a month. And the best part is they don't log anything.
  Thanks for the input.  I don't think that speed is too decent though... Does the software have capability to bypass some websites (i.e., have it so VPN is on but will not encrypt/tunnel Netflix)?

That sounds like a premium item.  What kind of cash are you looking to spend?

forbin4040 said:   
Xnarg1 said:   

Not that much!

I was hoping it would be like a firewall where you could exclude some addresses.

Xnarg1 said:   
forbin4040 said:   
Xnarg1 said:   

Not that much!

I was hoping it would be like a firewall where you could exclude some addresses.

Nope sorry the VPN from PIA doesn't have that type of granularity. Its an all or nothing thing. 

Free from our college that we attended 30+ years ago.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017