• filter:

Verizon launches Fios Gigabit Connection service delivering millions of customers the speeds they deserve

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
http://fios.verizon.com/fios-speeds.html   

• Verizon today launched Fios Gigabit Connection – the nation’s largest deployment of gigabit Internet connection service. 
  • Fios Gigabit Connection provides downloads as fast as 940 Mbps and uploads as fast as 880 Mbps.Priced at $69.99 a month standalone and starting at $79.99 a month for a triple play bundle when ordered online, Fios Gigabit Connection provides revolutionary speeds at a revolutionary price.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
So your cloud storage provider gives you a 1 Gbps connection for downloading from its servers?
  I would guess that most p... (more)

canoeguy1 (Apr. 26, 2017 @ 12:27a) |

I can regularly saturate my 100Mbps connection with Dropbox.  Don't know how much higher that would go, however.

cestmoi123 (Apr. 26, 2017 @ 7:36a) |

"Deserve."

Rax (Apr. 27, 2017 @ 12:31p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
EntertheDeals said:   http://fios.verizon.com/fios-speeds.html    

• Verizon today launched Fios Gigabit Connection – the nation’s largest deployment of gigabit Internet connection service. 
  • Fios Gigabit Connection provides downloads as fast as 940 Mbps and uploads as fast as 880 Mbps.

So not really "gigabit" then right?  So why call it that?  Or why not up the speed just a tad more?

rated:

• Fios Gigabit Connection provides downloads as fast as 940 Mbps and uploads as fast as 880 Mbps.Priced at $69.99 a month standalone and starting at $79.99 a month for a triple play bundle when ordered online, Fios Gigabit Connection provides revolutionary speeds at a revolutionary price.

wonderful Verizon. Getting page not found error

rated:
dealgain said:   

wonderful Verizon. Getting page not found error

Not Verizon's problem.  It's a coding error in the URL redirect from FW.  Copy and paste the URL above into a new browser window instead of clicking on it.

rated:
thanks for clarifying! it worked....

rated:
"It's not you, it's us.We're having trouble finding your location. Give us a call. Our internet experts can see what's available in your area."I already have an account with Verizon.  They know I'm at this address, which is right in the middle of a fairly large suburban town.  No reason why they can't figure it out.

rated:
Connman said:   "It's not you, it's us.We're having trouble finding your location. Give us a call. Our internet experts can see what's available in your area."I already have an account with Verizon.  They know I'm at this address, which is right in the middle of a fairly large suburban town.  No reason why they can't figure it out.
  Let me reword that message for you:We don't have Gigabit speed at your address.  In fact, we don't have anything approaching the speed of our cable competitors.  In fact, it's well below the rates we advertise for non-FIOS service.  So, if you call us, we'll try to talk around the issue and see if we can get you to switch to another package that promises faster speed then you are getting, but will still deliver slower speed than promised (read the tiny print).I had AT&T years ago, and they promised faster speed was coming.  They even went through the neighborhood and updated the ports on every green post to certify they could handle the higher speed.  Then, after it launched, NOTHING.  Turns out we are too far from the nearest switch to get any improvement.

rated:
the only technology that is NOT going down in price...

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   

• Fios Gigabit Connection provides downloads as fast as 940 Mbps and uploads as fast as 880 Mbps.

So not really "gigabit" then right?  So why call it that?  Or why not up the speed just a tad more?

Verizon's actually being exceptionally (and unnecessarily, in my view) honest here.  A 1 Gbps connection offers around 940Mbps of usable bandwidth, with the remainder required for overhead. 

rated:
misterphillip said:   the only technology that is NOT going down in price...
  Really?  They're offering 940Mbps for $70/month.  That's $0.075/Mbps.  Not too long ago, 10Mbps cable connections cost $70/month, that's $7/Mbps, or 100x more.  

rated:
Nope, still stuck with scumcast. Oh yeah, my bill just went up $20 a month and they don't offer just Internet but hey I can talk into my X1 remote I don't use.

rated:
Connman said:   "It's not you, it's us.We're having trouble finding your location. Give us a call. Our internet experts can see what's available in your area."I already have an account with Verizon.  They know I'm at this address, which is right in the middle of a fairly large suburban town.  No reason why they can't figure it out.
  That lookup page seems wonky.  Try this one:  https://www.verizon.com/home/fiosavailability/  

rated:
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it

rated:
I hate Verizon, when they were doing the big FIOS roll out in NJ they just stopped one day and never finished the towns around me. So parts of the town can get FIOS and parts cannot, I also hated how expensive they were with wireless back then. Read many articles about how Verizon took government money and promised to roll out FIOS to a certain amount of people but never kept their promise.Currently using Comcast, I do have to call every so often when a promo expires to get better pricing, just did it yesterday and got an even better deal on my current setup.  I know a lot of people hate on Comcast, but I hear the same about FIOS from some people.

rated:
The words "as fast as" are quite important. That's your max speed, under optimal conditions.
What will the real-world speeds be? Will they scimp on the back end, and allow massive network congestion during most of the day?
Having 940 Mbps from 2 am to 3 am is not particularly helpful.

That said, I have 10 Mbps at my house, and am perfectly happy with it. I don't know what you'd do with 1 Gbps. Run 200 Netflix HD streams at once?
Most servers that you're communicating with would never deliver content at 1 Gbps to you. You'd be lucky to get 20 Mbps, I would think.
My guess is that Verizon knows this very well, and has sized the rest of their network to deliver far less than 940 Mbps to each customer, on average (ie extreme statistical multiplexing). The only time residential customers are likely to ever use this speed is during an internet speed test.

rated:
If they truly provided gigabit speeds at $70/mo., that would be one heck of a deal.  I don't care if they achieve the full gigabit or not, it's the same price I pay now for 75mbps.  And I know I wouldn't be able to utilize the vast majority of the speed increase, but who cares, it's more speed (a lot more) at the same price point.Guessing it's not available in my area, they want me to contact them...

rated:
Fios is only available in:- Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse- Philly, Pittsburgh- Richmond, Norfolk, DC- Providence- Boston- New Jersey No love for down south, midwest or west coast.   

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   The words "as fast as" are quite important. That's your max speed, under optimal conditions.
What will the real-world speeds be? Will they scimp on the back end, and allow massive network congestion during most of the day?
Having 940 Mbps from 2 am to 3 am is not particularly helpful.

That said, I have 10 Mbps at my house, and am perfectly happy with it. I don't know what you'd do with 1 Gbps. Run 200 Netflix HD streams at once?
Most servers that you're communicating with would never deliver content at 1 Gbps to you. You'd be lucky to get 20 Mbps, I would think.
My guess is that Verizon knows this very well, and has sized the rest of their network to deliver far less than 940 Mbps to each customer, on average (ie extreme statistical multiplexing). The only time residential customers are likely to ever use this speed is during an internet speed test.

You are talking about cable where all the traffic in your neighborhood are bundle together.  Fios is direct, at least direct to their main network.  So most of the time your connect speed is constantly.  But I did notice a few times I lose service at night.  Could be they do some night repair, but not for long. I do hate Verizon answering machine.  You have to go through their stupid answering system but you can get to a live person which likely be someone in India.  Rarely I get someone in US.  Recently I did have to call them and after all the tests and 30mins on the phone they schedule a Tech to come out the next day.  The guy was 15mins pass the deadline but he came and basically replace all the equipment. I did have 10Mbps too, and it was fine for me too.  I want the cheapest price for decent service.  I too don't need 200 Netflix HD streaming at once.  I'm a poor Fatwallet follower so I don't even have nor need Netflix.  Do all my video from youtube.  It's great that Verizon is doing this.  Finally someone is trying at Gigabit again, hopefully this will push the price lower.  Last i heard about Gigabit was with Google, since than Google seem to stop with their Gigabit too.

rated:
Remember that FiOs is Verizon's fiber optic DSL service and DSL is telephone line-based, so they would only offer it wherever they sell landline service (otherwise they would have to rely on competitor's lines and it's not as profitable) as well, in which case they've built telephone infrastructure.

This limits both Verizon's DSL copper-based and fiber optic-based offerings to most of US' eastern half, except most of the Southeast corner and near to Chicagoland, where AT&T is the telco there, so it's U-Verse (FiOs main competitor) there.

rated:
ChinaRider said:   If they truly provided gigabit speeds at $70/mo., that would be one heck of a deal.  I don't care if they achieve the full gigabit or not, it's the same price I pay now for 75mbps.  And I know I wouldn't be able to utilize the vast majority of the speed increase, but who cares, it's more speed (a lot more) at the same price point.Guessing it's not available in my area, they want me to contact them...
AT&T came by my house last summer and buried fiber in my front yard. Last November I finally bit and made the switch to their gigabit service (from Comcast). I signed up for 2 years at $70/month with no caps, vs $99/month for Comcast Business (with no caps). Just did a test 2ms ping, 929 Mbps down/ 945Mbps up. Some days it will be in the 600s down, but uploads so far are always 900+. It makes no noticeable difference with general web browsing, but downloading files is amazing! The other day I had a few gigs of files on my laptop that had synced with my cloud storage. I couldn't be bothered turning my laptop on to copy them to my desktop, it was quicker to just download the 10+GB.

rated:
jUST WAIT...

rated:
Since I live in an area that Verizon abandoned to the mercies of Frontier...not much deal for me.

rated:
Oooh, another great FIOS promo? Congratulations if you live in the house where this is available.

rated:
940 (maybe) to the router,,then about 15 mb from the router to all their outdated laptops and tablets and smartphones which have slow wifi,,slow processors , and low ram.....let the complaints begin !!!

rated:
EntertheDeals said: delivering millions of customers the speeds they deserve

LOL!!!!  Poor 'mericans having to deal with 75mbps.  How can we survive?!?!!?

rated:
AlwaysWrite said:   Oooh, another great FIOS promo? Congratulations if you live in the house where this is available.
  8 million homes, so not nothing. 

rated:
tmonkey said:   
ChinaRider said:   If they truly provided gigabit speeds at $70/mo., that would be one heck of a deal.  I don't care if they achieve the full gigabit or not, it's the same price I pay now for 75mbps.  And I know I wouldn't be able to utilize the vast majority of the speed increase, but who cares, it's more speed (a lot more) at the same price point.Guessing it's not available in my area, they want me to contact them...
AT&T came by my house last summer and buried fiber in my front yard. Last November I finally bit and made the switch to their gigabit service (from Comcast). I signed up for 2 years at $70/month with no caps, vs $99/month for Comcast Business (with no caps). Just did a test 2ms ping, 929 Mbps down/ 945Mbps up. Some days it will be in the 600s down, but uploads so far are always 900+. It makes no noticeable difference with general web browsing, but downloading files is amazing! The other day I had a few gigs of files on my laptop that had synced with my cloud storage. I couldn't be bothered turning my laptop on to copy them to my desktop, it was quicker to just download the 10+GB.

So your cloud storage provider gives you a 1 Gbps connection for downloading from its servers?
  I would guess that most providers have much lower connection limits - maybe 20-50 Mbps-, which is why I don't see much of a practical use for a 1 Gbps last-mile speed yet. I really doubt that there's any server for residential services out there that would allow you to download (or upload) at more than a fraction of that speed.

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   
tmonkey said:   
AT&T came by my house last summer and buried fiber in my front yard. Last November I finally bit and made the switch to their gigabit service (from Comcast). I signed up for 2 years at $70/month with no caps, vs $99/month for Comcast Business (with no caps). Just did a test 2ms ping, 929 Mbps down/ 945Mbps up. Some days it will be in the 600s down, but uploads so far are always 900+. It makes no noticeable difference with general web browsing, but downloading files is amazing! The other day I had a few gigs of files on my laptop that had synced with my cloud storage. I couldn't be bothered turning my laptop on to copy them to my desktop, it was quicker to just download the 10+GB.

I would guess that most providers have much lower connection limits - maybe 20-50 Mbps-, which is why I don't see much of a practical use for a 1 Gbps last-mile speed yet. I really doubt that there's any server for residential services out there that would allow you to download (or upload) at more than a fraction of that speed.

I can regularly saturate my 100Mbps connection with Dropbox.  Don't know how much higher that would go, however.

rated:
"Deserve."

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017