need help buying a central air unit?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
hi, i have a three ton unit and have been quoted $4800 for a new unit.  where can i get a better price. i am disabled and do not have that kind of money ?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Without knowing anything about your situation (house , land, state , county , city) etc, then $4800 sounds right.
Check Yelp for other well reviewed installers.

Is that just the price of the unit? If that's the case then search the internet for a comparable unit. If the quote included installation then you are at the mercy of location, location, location, and the number of furnace and heating businesses near you. Call as many businesses as possible and ask for a quote.

An HVAC system needs to be properly sized. Just because you have a 3ton unit it doesn't mean that it is what you need.

But, why do you need a new unit? It's not working? It leaks? Could be a fuse, could be it a board, could be a loose cable, could be...

it is 25 years old, has several leaks in coils that can't be gotten to.so freon keeps leaking out. 

kermitpiggey said:   it is 25 years old, has several leaks in coils that can't be gotten to.so freon keeps leaking out. 
  I guess you didn't read my post.  So the answer is $4500 sounds about right.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017