• filter:

Advance Auto lifetime warranties not what you expect?

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I bought a pair of these trunk shocks https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/strong-arm-lift-support-e411... 3 years ago with a limited lifetime warranty printed on the receipt. Today I went back to replace them as the trunk wasn't staying all the way up, and the clerk said I would only get replacements one time. So what's the point of a lifetime warranty if the part you are buying only lasts 3 years and you may keep the car it goes in for 10? I looked up the warranty https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/warranties and it says, "Replacement parts are warranted for 90 days from the date of exchange or the remainder of the warranty period on the original part, whichever is longer." Seems it would mean the warranty applies as long as I own the vehicle, even if I have to replace the part 10 times? Anybody else use the lifetime warranty here?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
We have several vehicles in the family. I have purchased auto zone, napa and advance auto lifetime warranty brake pads o... (more)

samm (Jun. 25, 2017 @ 6:30p) |

I remember many years ago I went into a car repair shop near my home and the guy sold me on a brake job with a lifetime ... (more)

MrVietnam (Jun. 27, 2017 @ 9:19a) |

I'm on Alternator #4 with a 'lifetime warranty' from Advance Auto, for a 2000 BMW 528i

No issues whatsoever with the warr... (more)

Mr0ffic3r (Jun. 28, 2017 @ 1:08p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
yup. Print it and take it in if you need to.

rated:
Welcome to how what is said doesn't mean what we want. 'Lifetime' means the lifetime of the part, now if they want to extend you a 'lifetime' on a replacement part that's up to them.

This does sorta class actiony.

rated:
Technically, you need the warranty in force at the time of purchase.

rated:
ahh ... Advance.

Bought a front wheel bearing/hub with lifetime warranty. About a year later, bearings are grinding. Pull it off and go to the same Advance store I got it from for my lifetime warranty replacement.

Give them my name, phone number, and ID. Can't find the warranty in their system.

Asked if I bought it at their store because they can't look up warranties from other stores ... Affirmative.

Asked if I bought it 'online' for in store pickup ... Affirmative.

We can't look up warranties for online orders picked up in store. Need the receipt.

Go home and find copy of receipt. Return to store.

Can't find warranty in their system even with receipt and transaction number.

Manager comes over and looks at the receipt. Tells me they can't lookup anything from before the CarQuest merger because it corrupted their database.

Stares blankly at me for a few minutes as if I was going to buy a brand new one or just leave.

After a few minutes of back/forth, the manager agrees that they need to honor the lifetime warranty.

After a VERY LONG time, the Manager ends up:
processing damaged return without receipt issuing credit to a gift card.
using proceeds from gift card to purchase new bearing.
manually overriding new price so the total equals credit on said gift card.

Gives me the new bearing with new receipt and says thank you for being a loyal customer.

Looking at the receipt and thinking about all the lifetime warranties I have bought from Advance, I drive to another Advance, return the bearing with receipt for store credit gift card (can always buy consumables/fluids with it), then proceed to drive to Autozone to buy a bearing with a real lifetime warranty.

rated:
gatzdon said:   ahh ... Advance.

Bought a front wheel bearing/hub with lifetime warranty. About a year later, bearings are grinding. Pull it off and go to the same Advance store I got it from for my lifetime warranty replacement.

Give them my name, phone number, and ID. Can't find the warranty in their system.

Asked if I bought it at their store because they can't look up warranties from other stores ... Affirmative.

Asked if I bought it 'online' for in store pickup ... Affirmative.

We can't look up warranties for online orders picked up in store. Need the receipt.

Go home and find copy of receipt. Return to store.

Can't find warranty in their system even with receipt and transaction number.

Manager comes over and looks at the receipt. Tells me they can't lookup anything from before the CarQuest merger because it corrupted their database.

Stares blankly at me for a few minutes as if I was going to buy a brand new one or just leave.

After a few minutes of back/forth, the manager agrees that they need to honor the lifetime warranty.

After a VERY LONG time, the Manager ends up:
processing damaged return without receipt issuing credit to a gift card.
using proceeds from gift card to purchase new bearing.
manually overriding new price so the total equals credit on said gift card.

Gives me the new bearing with new receipt and says thank you for being a loyal customer.

Looking at the receipt and thinking about all the lifetime warranties I have bought from Advance, I drive to another Advance, return the bearing with receipt for store credit gift card (can always buy consumables/fluids with it), then proceed to drive to Autozone to buy a bearing with a real lifetime warranty.


you know they're the same company, right? With the same shitty parts? I'm not going to lie, I laughed when I read you went to autozone instead.

rated:
scrouds said:   
 
you know they're the same company, right? With the same shitty parts? I'm not going to lie, I laughed when I read you went to autozone instead.

  
According to Wikipedia, Advance and Autozone are still competitors.

That said, switching to Autozone had nothing to do with the quality of the parts.  Rather, I can go into Autozone today and exchange my lifetime warranty brake pads that I bought 15 years ago in another state, all with just a phone number.

I briefly starting buying from Advance due to their proximity to my house and the prevalence of their 20% off coupons (or more).  Since then, every warranty exchange at Advance has been a time consuming hassle.  

I'm not saying Autozone is without their issues, but they are definitely costing me less time than the few years I dealt with Advance.

rated:
On my '94 Integra, I've been through about 5 or 6 sets of lifetime front brakes and only paid for the first set. These were from Autozone. One particular store started to balk at providing a replacement and said that the pad wear was normal wear and tear and that they don't warranty that but this was the first time that they ever interpreted it this way. They ended up giving me a set but said that it would be the last one. I just avoid that particular store now. I've had good luck getting CV halfshafts replaced under warranty with them as well. I have also gotten lifetime pads for other vehicles from Advance and never had issues taking them back. I've never had to save a receipt from either store but one thing they will let you do is purchase a set, install them and use that receipt to take the old ones back which is a pretty liberal policy. Both stores have great loaner tool programs too. Once, however, I kept an AC vacuump pump for too long and when I brought it back, they couldn't find it in their system but they did give my money back in the form of a store credit which I was fine with. Used that to pay for oil and filters for a very long time.

One of the primary reasons I switched from Autozone to Advance was the online coupons.  For the longest time, they were as much as 40 percent off and at first, you could also use them for engine oil.  The online ordering system does appear to be a totally different system though and I have had returns of online purchases that were a big pain as a result, especially if one of those coupons was used and it almost always was.

rated:
Why does the FTC allow indeterminite lifetime warranties versus determinate ones for defined years?

rated:
I had a similar experience with Autozone vs. Advance Auto. I've bought AZ break pads for years and when they wore out I would bring them in and they give me a new set, no questions asked. I went with AA on my new car when it came time to pads and rotors because they had a significantly better price; big mistake.

I brought them in and they told me they were out of warranty. I explained I had 3mos left on the rotors and that the pads were lifetime. They said that unless the rotors were visibly warped, they weren't eligible for replacement. They said the pads had "reached the end of their reasonably useful life" and that the warranty didn't apply to wear and only to defects in workmanship and materials. After 30mins of arguing, they relented and I got my pads and rotors.

I suspect that there are certain AA Store Managers who fancy themselves wizards of economics and quickly learn that warranty claims take a bite out of their sales number and choose to reinforce a false interpretation of the warranty policy to bully people into buying new parts. What they fail to understand is that most people who are looking to take advantage of a warranty policy are going to shop with their (fat)wallets and go down to the road to AZ where it's always been no questions asked.

rated:
Bought an alternator with L/T warranty. Installed it in the dark of my parking garage, Car fired up, drove around, a few hours later wouldn't start in same garage. Brought battery in; checked out ok after a charge. Removed alternator, again in the dark, brought back to the store, told them I think it's bad. Without hesitation they swap it out for another one. Installed the new one, SAME THING. Finally after 4 on/offs I could swap the damn thing in about 30 minutes. I went back, had them test it and this second one tested bad. Two in a row.

Clerk went into the back and grabbed a new one. Brought it out and I asked him to test it as well. With a straight face he said "Why? it's new." That third one lasted 100K+ miles, but still what a complete waste of time.  Now for tough to install things like tensioners, water pumps, etc I try to find a dealer parts dept who deep discounts and buy OEM parts. 

rated:
"LIMITED Lifetime Warranty"

Alot of parts companies are going to this. Things like brake shoes, limited lifetime warranty. They found out they are losing money when someone buys a pair of brake shoes and keeps replacing them every couple of years for 10 years. So they will warranty them for the lifetime, but they are limiting them to warranting them out to X number of times.

To get around this, buy a new one and return the old one in the new box with the new receipt. I've done this on a few occasions...play their game, but on your turf.

rated:
tnbk said:   "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty"

Alot of parts companies are going to this. Things like brake shoes, limited lifetime warranty. They found out they are losing money when someone buys a pair of brake shoes and keeps replacing them every couple of years for 10 years. So they will warranty them for the lifetime, but they are limiting them to warranting them out to X number of times.

To get around this, buy a new one and return the old one in the new box with the new receipt. I've done this on a few occasions...play their game, but on your turf.

  To me returning a used item with any receipt would be a warranty issue, not a return.
LIMITED Lifetime means it is warranted for life but limited on one replacement instance.

rated:
gatzdon said:   ahh ... Advance.

Bought a front wheel bearing/hub with lifetime warranty. About a year later, bearings are grinding. Pull it off and go to the same Advance store I got it from for my lifetime warranty replacement.

Give them my name, phone number, and ID. Can't find the warranty in their system.

Asked if I bought it at their store because they can't look up warranties from other stores ... Affirmative.

Asked if I bought it 'online' for in store pickup ... Affirmative.

We can't look up warranties for online orders picked up in store. Need the receipt.

Go home and find copy of receipt. Return to store.

Can't find warranty in their system even with receipt and transaction number.

Manager comes over and looks at the receipt. Tells me they can't lookup anything from before the CarQuest merger because it corrupted their database.

Stares blankly at me for a few minutes as if I was going to buy a brand new one or just leave.

After a few minutes of back/forth, the manager agrees that they need to honor the lifetime warranty.

After a VERY LONG time, the Manager ends up:
processing damaged return without receipt issuing credit to a gift card.
using proceeds from gift card to purchase new bearing.
manually overriding new price so the total equals credit on said gift card.

Gives me the new bearing with new receipt and says thank you for being a loyal customer.

Looking at the receipt and thinking about all the lifetime warranties I have bought from Advance, I drive to another Advance, return the bearing with receipt for store credit gift card (can always buy consumables/fluids with it), then proceed to drive to Autozone to buy a bearing with a real lifetime warranty.

  In store and online are two different systems. That is why you can't use the good coupons in the store. I have no problem with online orders and warranties. You can look up any order in your online account and print out the detailed invoice. Then they warranty the item as usual. Once I had a clerk that didn't know how to do the warranty for online items so he just returned them and then price matched the old price for a new purchase. I liked that since I got another warranty on the brake pads instead of the one time replacement I had just gotten. 

rated:
jimates said:   
tnbk said:   "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty"

Alot of parts companies are going to this. Things like brake shoes, limited lifetime warranty. They found out they are losing money when someone buys a pair of brake shoes and keeps replacing them every couple of years for 10 years. So they will warranty them for the lifetime, but they are limiting them to warranting them out to X number of times.

To get around this, buy a new one and return the old one in the new box with the new receipt. I've done this on a few occasions...play their game, but on your turf.

  To me returning a used item with any receipt would be a warranty issue, not a return.
LIMITED Lifetime means it is warranted for life but limited on one replacement instance.

  
At most autozone stores, it's only a couple minutes to warranty swap brake pads, but if you do it this way, it's the best of both worlds.  You return the old pads under a 'warranty' return with refund, and have a brand new receipt for pads that have never been exchanged before.  If/when the hammer drops and they refuse more than X exchanges, you are sitting there with 0 exchanges.

rated:
gatzdon said:   
jimates said:   
tnbk said:   "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty"

Alot of parts companies are going to this. Things like brake shoes, limited lifetime warranty. They found out they are losing money when someone buys a pair of brake shoes and keeps replacing them every couple of years for 10 years. So they will warranty them for the lifetime, but they are limiting them to warranting them out to X number of times.

To get around this, buy a new one and return the old one in the new box with the new receipt. I've done this on a few occasions...play their game, but on your turf.

  To me returning a used item with any receipt would be a warranty issue, not a return.
LIMITED Lifetime means it is warranted for life but limited on one replacement instance.

  
At most autozone stores, it's only a couple minutes to warranty swap brake pads, but if you do it this way, it's the best of both worlds.  You return the old pads under a 'warranty' return with refund, and have a brand new receipt for pads that have never been exchanged before.  If/when the hammer drops and they refuse more than X exchanges, you are sitting there with 0 exchanges.

  Pretty sure when they scan the new receipt the computer will show the exchange history the next time you come in.

rated:
atikovi said:   
gatzdon said:   
jimates said:   
tnbk said:   "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty"

Alot of parts companies are going to this. Things like brake shoes, limited lifetime warranty. They found out they are losing money when someone buys a pair of brake shoes and keeps replacing them every couple of years for 10 years. So they will warranty them for the lifetime, but they are limiting them to warranting them out to X number of times.

To get around this, buy a new one and return the old one in the new box with the new receipt. I've done this on a few occasions...play their game, but on your turf.

  To me returning a used item with any receipt would be a warranty issue, not a return.
LIMITED Lifetime means it is warranted for life but limited on one replacement instance.

  
At most autozone stores, it's only a couple minutes to warranty swap brake pads, but if you do it this way, it's the best of both worlds.  You return the old pads under a 'warranty' return with refund, and have a brand new receipt for pads that have never been exchanged before.  If/when the hammer drops and they refuse more than X exchanges, you are sitting there with 0 exchanges.

  Pretty sure when they scan the new receipt the computer will show the exchange history the next time you come in.

  That person is exploiting the 30 day return policy.  So there is no exchange history.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
atikovi said:   
gatzdon said:   
jimates said:   
tnbk said:   "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty"

Alot of parts companies are going to this. Things like brake shoes, limited lifetime warranty. They found out they are losing money when someone buys a pair of brake shoes and keeps replacing them every couple of years for 10 years. So they will warranty them for the lifetime, but they are limiting them to warranting them out to X number of times.

To get around this, buy a new one and return the old one in the new box with the new receipt. I've done this on a few occasions...play their game, but on your turf.

  To me returning a used item with any receipt would be a warranty issue, not a return.
LIMITED Lifetime means it is warranted for life but limited on one replacement instance.

  
At most autozone stores, it's only a couple minutes to warranty swap brake pads, but if you do it this way, it's the best of both worlds.  You return the old pads under a 'warranty' return with refund, and have a brand new receipt for pads that have never been exchanged before.  If/when the hammer drops and they refuse more than X exchanges, you are sitting there with 0 exchanges.

  Pretty sure when they scan the new receipt the computer will show the exchange history the next time you come in.

  That person is exploiting the 30 day return policy.  So there is no exchange history.

  How is that person is exploiting the 30 day return policy? Pads don't wear out in 30 days for him to return them within 30 days.

rated:
atikovi said:   
forbin4040 said:   
atikovi said:   
gatzdon said:     
At most autozone stores, it's only a couple minutes to warranty swap brake pads, but if you do it this way, it's the best of both worlds.  You return the old pads under a 'warranty' return with refund, and have a brand new receipt for pads that have never been exchanged before.  If/when the hammer drops and they refuse more than X exchanges, you are sitting there with 0 exchanges.

  Pretty sure when they scan the new receipt the computer will show the exchange history the next time you come in.

  That person is exploiting the 30 day return policy.  So there is no exchange history.

  How is that person is exploiting the 30 day return policy? Pads don't wear out in 30 days for him to return them within 30 days.

  Read what I boldfaced, that poster is getting a refund on a warranty...which is impossible.  Unless it is a return.

rated:
atikovi said:   
forbin4040 said:   
atikovi said:   
gatzdon said:   
jimates said:   
tnbk said:   "LIMITED Lifetime Warranty"

Alot of parts companies are going to this. Things like brake shoes, limited lifetime warranty. They found out they are losing money when someone buys a pair of brake shoes and keeps replacing them every couple of years for 10 years. So they will warranty them for the lifetime, but they are limiting them to warranting them out to X number of times.

To get around this, buy a new one and return the old one in the new box with the new receipt. I've done this on a few occasions...play their game, but on your turf.

  To me returning a used item with any receipt would be a warranty issue, not a return.
LIMITED Lifetime means it is warranted for life but limited on one replacement instance.

  
At most autozone stores, it's only a couple minutes to warranty swap brake pads, but if you do it this way, it's the best of both worlds.  You return the old pads under a 'warranty' return with refund, and have a brand new receipt for pads that have never been exchanged before.  If/when the hammer drops and they refuse more than X exchanges, you are sitting there with 0 exchanges.

  Pretty sure when they scan the new receipt the computer will show the exchange history the next time you come in.

  That person is exploiting the 30 day return policy.  So there is no exchange history.

  How is that person is exploiting the 30 day return policy? Pads don't wear out in 30 days for him to return them within 30 days.

  Pads *shouldn't* wear out in 30 days, but it did happen once to my mom.

rated:
So it's like the big print say it warranty everything and cover everything, while the fine print below it say it doesn't cover or warranty anything? LOL

rated:
So basically dont buy parts from these stores, spend more money and buy quality parts in order to avoid replacing them ever so often

rated:
atikovi said:   I bought a pair of these trunk shocks https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/strong-arm-lift-support-e4113/19940199-P?searchTerm=lift+support 3 years ago with a limited lifetime warranty printed on the receipt. Today I went back to replace them as the trunk wasn't staying all the way up, and the clerk said I would only get replacements one time. So what's the point of a lifetime warranty if the part you are buying only lasts 3 years and you may keep the car it goes in for 10? I looked up the warranty https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/o/warranties and it says, "Replacement parts are warranted for 90 days from the date of exchange or the remainder of the warranty period on the original part, whichever is longer." Seems it would mean the warranty applies as long as I own the vehicle, even if I have to replace the part 10 times? Anybody else use the lifetime warranty here?
  Who needs those pesky consumer protections? I say we get rid of all of em so all these great corporations can continue to make all the profits they should always be entitled to.

rated:
I had no trouble today getting a warranty replacement on a set of brake pads. I bought online originally (with a discount code, of course). Cashier said online orders can only be processed as a return, with credit in the form of original purchase. But there was no problem in then buying a new set of pads at the same (manually) discounted price. A pleasant experience for me.

Now, what is disappointing is the fact that the pads needed replacement after less than 30k miles on them. And I put my OEM rotors back on, as the Advance/Carquest rotors I got at the same time as the pads originally also needed replacement (rust and gouges) but those only had a 2-year warranty and I could not get credit for them.

rated:
We have several vehicles in the family. I have purchased auto zone, napa and advance auto lifetime warranty brake pads over the years. Several years ago the napa store took my lifetime warranty receipt when I got an exchange. The clerk said he would take care of me next time they wore out. Went back to napa a couple years later and no brake pad warranty. No more purchase from napa since. A few months ago the pads wore out on one of the auto zone brake pads and they exchanged the pads no problem. This past week the advance auto set, from another vehicle, went out and I discovered advance auto no longer provides lifetime warranty. They explained they would lose money to warranty wear on pads. No problem with auto zone. I appreciate auto zones policy so I will make it worth auto zones while to warranty the brake pad wear by purchasing all parts from them.

rated:
I remember many years ago I went into a car repair shop near my home and the guy sold me on a brake job with a lifetime warranty, so I spend several hundred dollars on my brakes. Less than a week later I see the auto repair shop went out of business. What dishonest people they are. I'm sure they knew they were going out of business when he sold me the lifetime warranty.

rated:
I'm on Alternator #4 with a 'lifetime warranty' from Advance Auto, for a 2000 BMW 528i

No issues whatsoever with the warranty process. The alts appear to last about 2 years. Takes about 1.5 hrs to replace when taking your time. I'll live with it for now - car has 300k miles. 

I buy a new alternator, and when I go to return the bad one they just process the refund. 

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017