Hulu's got live TV channels!

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Hulu Announces Live TV Streaming, but How Does it Compare to Other Services
Disclaimer
https://www.fatwallet.com/blog/hulu-with-live-tv

$39.99/mo for over 50 channels, but they'll have commercials/ads. Anyone gonna try it out?

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Never did I mention "TV Key".  By their nature, "simple" and "small" are relative terms.  To me, small is a pair of 6 ft... (more)

peas (May. 08, 2017 @ 2:54a) |

I bought a $20 antennae for my TV, but I can only pick up a handful of local channels with it. Reception is spotty, too.... (more)

Blackbird_Flies (May. 08, 2017 @ 9:49a) |

Being level with i5 and a local frontage road 50 feet away (some cars going by frontage road interrupt signal for a few ... (more)

yesidonoitall (May. 08, 2017 @ 11:11a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I want to try it out, and personally compare it to vue, however HULU live is not supported as an Android app for my smart TV or for my Amazon FireTV. So...it's a waiting game for me at this point.

YouTube TV is $35. Pretty cool. Unlimited record. 

DIRECTV NOW is probably your best bet now

Sling & Sony both start at a lower price. And Sony offers more live sports channels at a lower price than DirectTV.

mysteryAgain said:   DIRECTV NOW is probably your best bet now

"Live" channels offered by Hulu in my area are crap. All of the networks are still on demand only. And at $40 a month I see is no deal for my anyways. 

i think it comes to getting cable when u add it up. A broadband connection is required

Is there a comparison channel list somewhere for Directv, Hulu, Netflix etc so someone can compare and make decisions?

DaveFarmington said:   Is there a comparison channel list somewhere for Directv, Hulu, Netflix etc so someone can compare and make decisions?

Comparison 

Hers the rip off for many

Give Hulu $40 per month and you'll get full access to traditional Hulu -- which currently costs $8 per month -- as well as live TV from local channels ABCCBSFox and NBC in select cities  

>>>>If you can get you get no discount

You'll only get access to all four live local channels -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC -- if you live in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago or Philadelphia.

they are not even in the game until they can offer a cloud DVR.

RE:
You'll only get access to all four live local channels -- ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC -- if you live in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago or Philadelphia.

Is it true a VPN can fix that issue? 

tante said:   

they are not even in the game until they can offer a cloud DVR.

Do you have PlayOn cloud DVR?  It works with it.

These services are pretty close in price to Charter cable,when high speed inet is bundled, yet offer far less channels.
I don't see the value at all, and just to be clear, network channels are free over the air, why would it be great if they were on a pay service?

I did the direct offer to get a free Roku to resell, the picture quality was not so great at all.

LORENW said:   These services are pretty close in price to Charter cable,when high speed inet is bundled, yet offer far less channels.
I don't see the value at all, and just to be clear, network channels are free over the air, why would it be great if they were on a pay service?

I did the direct offer to get a free Roku to resell, the picture quality was not so great at all.

RE:
network channels are free over the air, why would it be great if they were on a pay service?

Poor reception would be one reason

With digital either you get the signal or you dont, no such thing as snow as used to be

Many do not have the option of using cable....
DSL only is their choice if even that...

LORENW said:   These services are pretty close in price to Charter cable,when high speed inet is bundled, yet offer far less channels.

You must be city folks.

In 97526 where I am, xmitters are extreme north and south,
I live just below i5 freeway level and another local road,
cars on that road can cause issues, maybe the older ones that give off a lot of spark plug energy, very tricky to get antennas to work but I did...

tightpapa said:   

You must be city folks.

We are 26 miles from a city of 400,000, 26 miles from a city about 50,000  and 48 miles from one about a million or so
My Tivo Roamio is cable and ota, I kicked around the idea of dumping cable, got a $50 antenna and pulled 63 stations out of the air
Charter gave me yet another year of intro promo with silver
I sold the antenna tt my neighbor

This year I kicked around the ZTE Mobley $20 unlimited inet plan,
Charter just gave me another year of the intro promo with silver at an even lower amount this time

FOR ME, maybe knot the next person, it is just not worth the messing around, when Charter gives me great inet and many more channels than the stream stuff

This is why we discuss things, I never figured others couldn't get ota tv signals

LORENW said:   
tightpapa said:   

You must be city folks.

We are 26 miles from a city of 400,000, 26 miles from a city about 50,000  and 48 miles from one about a million or so
My Tivo Roamio is cable and ota, I kicked around the idea of dumping cable, got a $50 antenna and pulled 63 stations out of the air
I sold the antenna tt my neighbor

This year I kicked around the ZTE Mobley $20 unlimited inet plan,
Charter just gave me another year of the intro promo with silver at an even lower amount this time

FOR ME, maybe knot the next person, it is just not worth the messing around, when Charter gives me great inet and many more channels than the stream stuff

This is why we discuss things, I never figured others couldn't get ota tv signals

Yes, threaten to quit and you can get deals.
Especially SiriusXM for me

I have Charter but only internet at $52.99

Don't see the value of streaming broadcast TV channels (ABC, CBS, etc) when I can watch free digital OTA channels crystal clear using a small, simple antenna. The value for many is live sports channels such as ESPN. $35-40/mo is essentially cable rates, so people aren't going to be clamoring to sign up IMHO.

peas said:   Don't see the value of streaming broadcast TV channels (ABC, CBS, etc) when I can watch free digital OTA channels crystal clear using a small, simple antenna. The value for many is live sports channels such as ESPN. $35-40/mo is essentially cable rates, so people aren't going to be clamoring to sign up IMHO.
  RE:
Don't see the value of streaming broadcast TV channels (ABC, CBS, etc) when I can watch free digital OTA channels crystal clear using a small, simple antenna
Especially:  using a small, simple antenna

Oh really. I would say the masses of America cannot...

It's nice that we have so many options!

LORENW said:   

Might be time for me to give Charter a call.  I haven't tried to get concessions from them in more than a year.  Last couple times I tried, they either only offered me cheaper internet or tv via a triple-play bundle (don't need the phone) which would get incredibly high once the promo expired or told me essentially "See ya." when I requested a cut-off to get retentions.

The issue with Charter is they lie.
Any price has add ons they do not tell you about or do not want to.
If you have 4 tv's, do they tell you you need 4 set top boxes, NO
Do they tell you the total cost NO

I have the free Mobdro on my tablet.  Many live channels and news sources too.

yesidonoitall said:   
peas said:   Don't see the value of streaming broadcast TV channels (ABC, CBS, etc) when I can watch free digital OTA channels crystal clear using a small, simple antenna. The value for many is live sports channels such as ESPN. $35-40/mo is essentially cable rates, so people aren't going to be clamoring to sign up IMHO.
Especially:  using a small, simple antenna

Oh really. I would say the masses of America cannot...

Who are these masses you refer to?  Your singular opinion is not the masses

Those  little antennas like the TV Key is not going to work for most...

yesidonoitall said:   Those  little antennas like the TV Key is not going to work for most...

Never did I mention "TV Key".  By their nature, "simple" and "small" are relative terms.  To me, small is a pair of 6 ft long rabbit ears (extended out sideways both directions), which is also very simple.  That's compared to the 12-20 ft long giant antenna arrays which aren't necessary anymore with digital OTA.  Another factor that you likely don't consider is placement.  The TV's location isn't necessarily the best place to pick up signal.  Mount the rabbit ears near the window closest to the tower.  I've even put one in the attic and hooked it up to the coax line so I can conveniently plug my tv into the wall.

It's true that there are some spots out in the boondocks where signal is too weak and needs an amplifier.  That isn't "the masses".  If you choose to live out there, accept the realities of your chosen plot of land.  No one is forcing you to live there, you can always move.

I bought a $20 antennae for my TV, but I can only pick up a handful of local channels with it. Reception is spotty, too. I've messed around with placement in my house, but the cord only goes so far. I've thought about doing the Sling TV free trial, but my issue is I never seem to catch the shows I wanna watch when they air, so on-demand services seem to be a better option for me. Plus, I'm spoiled by the ability to binge-watch with on-demand services like Netflix and Hulu Plus. There again, I've never had a DVR, so maybe that'd be a game-changer for me.

Being level with i5 and a local frontage road 50 feet away (some cars going by frontage road interrupt signal for a few seconds  in Grants Pass oregon and some channels north 20 miles and the others 30 or south I have tried many indoor antennas.

This works the best to get all channels.
The GE amplified 400

https://www.google.com/search?q=ge+ultrapro+bar+hd400+amplified+...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017