• filter:

Target Increases Free Shipping Threshold to $35

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
https://www.fatwallet.com/blog/target-increases-free-shipping-th...
They increased it from $25 to $35, but they are offering a 10% off coupon when you sign up for a REDcard, which gives you 5% off all purchases and free shipping with no minimum. Anyone plan on taking advantage of this REDcard promo? If you have a REDcard, do you think it's worth it?

Moderator Comment: Thank you for your participation. Please note that there is also discussion about this topic Here. — May. 8, 2017 @ 10:16am
Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Blackbird_Flies said:   https://www.fatwallet.com/blog/target-increases-free-shipping-threshold
They increased it from $25 to $35, but they are offering a 10% off coupon when you sign up for a REDcard, which gives you 5% off all purchases and free shipping with no minimum. Anyone plan on taking advantage of this REDcard promo? If you have a REDcard, do you think it's worth it?

I have both the Debit card and the Credit Card.
Saving 5% is always nice! 
My credit card can be used anywhere not just Target. I think they may have changed that for newly issued cards.

rated:
My credit card can be used anywhere not just Target. I think they may have changed that for newly issued cards.
  Oh that's interesting! I have the debit card, so I can only use it at Target. Are there any benefits to using the Target credit card outside of Target?

rated:
Blackbird_Flies said:   
My credit card can be used anywhere not just Target. I think they may have changed that for newly issued cards.
  Oh that's interesting! I have the debit card, so I can only use it at Target. Are there any benefits to using the Target credit card outside of Target

Yes, the debit card ONLY works at Target.
Other than being a credit card there are no benefits out-side of Target.

rated:
I love my REDcard. It was nice waiting in line to get a NES classic / Hatchimal over the holidays. My discount basically nullified the tax on my purchase. 

rated:
CouponClippen said:   

I don't think they've offered the credit card that can be used anywhere (formerly Visa, now MasterCard) to newly issued cards for nearly a decade.

As for the debit card, it's worth having simply because they tend to give pathetic credit limits on the credit card. I do use the credit card most of the time when I go there, but the limits they give you (often sub-$500, even if you have perfect credit) are sometimes lower than the price of certain items in their store, so it's nice to have the debit card Handy for the 5% if I need something that might go over my $200 (seriously... it's almost like a sick joke) credit limit.

rated:
sdskees said:   
CouponClippen said:   

I don't think they've offered the credit card that can be used anywhere (formerly Visa, now MasterCard) to newly issued cards for nearly a decade.

As for the debit card, it's worth having simply because they tend to give pathetic credit limits on the credit card. I do use the credit card most of the time when I go there, but the limits they give you (often sub-$500, even if you have perfect credit) are sometimes lower than the price of certain items in their store, so it's nice to have the debit card Handy for the 5% if I need something that might go over my $200 (seriously... it's almost like a sick joke) credit limit.

My account is 20+ years old my credit limit was $1200. It is now lower but not $200 due to lack of use.
 As I said 'I think they may have changed'.

rated:
As others have stated, you can only get a debit or (store only) credit card. They no longer offer the Visa option.

Ironically, it is the only TRUE chip and PIN card I possess...

rated:
FT

rated:
This is not a good move for Target as Amazon just announced they have lowered the shipping for non prime members to 25.00
in order to compete with Walmart who is offering the 25.00 shipping option now. So Target will lose business for people who
do not wish to get a Red card> Times are tough for retailers, and the competition is high for your business...Target should
reconsider this change quickly. I do have the Red Card, but for those who do not this might be a problem for their buying needs.
Amazon/Walmart will be where people go instead of Target.

rated:
Most of my shopping is done online. I don't like debit cards. I don't need another store credit card, and after reading about how low the credit limits can be, I really have no reason to sign up for one with Target. Now that Amazon has lowered the amount needed for free shipping, they will get even more of my business.

rated:
The debit red card is totally worth it IMO. It is just a specialized debit card that you can only use there.  No credit check like their credit card. It withdraws from the bank in about 3 days.  No CC bill to pay afterward. The 5% off and free shipping with no minimums is totally worth it. I's sure someone will argue that they are missing out on 4x fuel points from Kroger gift cards or double airline miles on thier CC, but this is a super easy way to save with no extra effort. It very easy to use in the app as well. Just enter your PIN at checkout and your done.

rated:
As for credit limits, mine is $2,500 which is admittedly low compared to my other cards, but not terrible considering I don't buy that much at once at Target anyway. If you put your annual income in your profile under financial information, you're eligible for credit line increases. As for benefits, the 5% discount on practically everything (including non-Target gift cards) is certainly valuable as is the free shipping for most things on the website (with no minimum). Extra 30 days for returns as well, so basically 90 days for returns (and you don't need a receipt if you use your red card - they can look up the purchase). So while I'm a fan of Amazon and Walmart like anyone else, the Target redcard benefits easily make up for the $25/$35 minimum free shipping difference.

rated:
Somethings are cheap online then compared in store. I bought my meds online while I was shopping, and picked it up after I left checkout counter.

rated:
DeFiantROA said:   Somethings are cheap online then compared in store. I bought my meds online while I was shopping, and picked it up after I left checkout counter.
  RE:
MEDS

Put your rx in here,
https://www.goodrx.com/
you may get a coupon good at Target or elsewhere that saves you money.
Could even be less than your co-pay

rated:
[q=DealMavenGuru;19867933 said: ]So while I'm a fan of Amazon and Walmart like anyone else, 
   Who is a "fan" of Walmart?

Their in store pick up is horrible, takes 15 to 20 minutes if there is no line and it is in the back of the store.  I avoid at all costs.

rated:
funny Target would do this just as Amazon did the opposite !

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017