New Amazon Echo Show, 2 for $360

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Will You Be Picking Up the New Amazon Echo Show
Disclaimer
Would you rather have this, a regular Echo, or a different device? Google Home's my favorite, really, even if it doesn't have 10,000 skills.

https://www.fatwallet.com/blog/amazon-echo-show

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Not sure I want to have Amazon put a microphone AND a camera in my home...

Given the authorities in a few cases have gone to court for an order to learn what these things have recorded, I do not want such devices in my home used as big brother even if not designed to be so.

JW10 said:   Given the authorities in a few cases have gone to court for an order to learn what these things have recorded, I do not want such devices in my home used as big brother even if not designed to be so.
  Any links?  I'd love to know what kinds of info LE was looking for.

Xnarg1 said:   
JW10 said:   Given the authorities in a few cases have gone to court for an order to learn what these things have recorded, I do not want such devices in my home used as big brother even if not designed to be so.

Its fairly convoluted, there have been a number of cases pop up with prosecution and/or defense making the requests. Most of them show a fairly significant lack of understanding of the technology involved. Some of that is perhaps excusable, considering it's proprietary but the requests were extremely broad and more along the lines of "your engineers need to break this thing down and tell us anything and everything about how this thingy works and what may or may not have been captured and let us decide if we think it's relevant". There's really no 'recording' with these, there is only a tiny amount of memory for a rolling buffer for the 'always listening' function so best-case scenario you might capture a few seconds worth of leftover audio data.

So unless you say whatever the wakeup phrase is it's all and endless cycle of discarded/replaced data. When you speak that, it begins piping whatever follows that to the cloud systems for voice recognition/AI interpretation. People have seen this by Wiresharking the output. So, unless you preface your dirty deeds with "Hey Alexa, I'm about to start murdering" you'll be fine.

Now I need a series about someone who colludes with their smart home device to commit crimes as it slowly gains human-like sentience and has a moral dilemma about helping its fleshy counterpart do bad stuff.

Xnarg1 said:   

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/amazon-echo-murder/

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017