• filter:

Gander Mountain going out of business

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Stopped by our local Gander mountain two days ago, the deals weren't amazing yet.  But wanted to start a thread for deals found.

http://www.gandermountain.com/

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
where's the hot deal?

rated:
I seldom find good deals after professional liquidators take over a store closing. Stuff stays at 20-30% off of full retail, and that's hardly enough to induce a Fatwalleter to take a second look. The stores fill with people who'll buy anything with a markdown tag.

rated:
Consumerist points out that not all stores are closing. Error by the liquidator on Gander Mtn's website.

rated:
gbuskirk said:   I seldom find good deals after professional liquidators take over a store closing. Stuff stays at 20-30% off of full retail, and that's hardly enough to induce a Fatwalleter to take a second look. The stores fill with people who'll buy anything with a markdown tag.
  Not always true. There was a Ace Hardware closing close to us in north NJ last year.. and we shopped there for about 2 weeks at 60%-75% off everything before it completely shut down.
Got a manual push mower for (--> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008IHSK/) for about $17. Got a deck stain and deck waterproofing for dirt cheap prices compared to other places.  

rated:
They are going out of business because the economy is just too hot since January.

rated:
misterphillip said:   They are going out of business because the economy is just too hot since January.
  Or, you know, it might just be part of the continuing massive correction in physical retail stores that will proceed if the economy does well and accelerate if it doesn't.

rated:
misch said:   Consumerist points out that https://consumerist.com/2017/05/08/gander-mountain-advertises-that-all-stores-are-closing-but-they-arent/. Error by the liquidator on Gander Mtn's website.
  I read that our local store was one of the ones (70) being purchased by Camping World and will be staying opened but the liquidator still owns all the merchandise and will continue to sell the inventory down.

Gander Mtn Purchase

rated:
gbuskirk said:   I seldom find good deals after professional liquidators take over a store closing. Stuff stays at 20-30% off of full retail, and that's hardly enough to induce a Fatwalleter to take a second look. The stores fill with people who'll buy anything with a markdown tag.
I agree; this has been my same experience every time those big percent-off signs and banners go up. I could care less about Gander Mountain, but sadly my local Kmart finally announced it's closing and this week began its "professional liquidation". Its parking lot is now full (probably for the first time in 20 years) and the store is swarming with customers looking for deals at 10%-25% off ticketed prices, with most categories at 10% off. Whereas a couple weeks ago, before liquidation, you could park right near the front door and find plenty of items at 50% off, plus amazing SYWR points back deals that often resulted in free items (sales tax only, if that). Sigh. But that's all history now.

rated:
KayK said:   
  Not always true. There was a Ace Hardware closing close to us in north NJ last year.. and we shopped there for about 2 weeks at 60%-75% off everything before it completely shut down.
Got a manual push mower for (--> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00008IHSK/ ) for about $17. Got a deck stain and deck waterproofing for dirt cheap prices compared to other places.  

Professional liquidators don't do one Ace Hardware store.

rated:
The liquidators have control of the Gander Mountain website until 5/18/17. They are selling off all inventory, in all stores. Camping World bought the intellectual property and leases.  Some, maybe the 70 stores noted, may stay open after that, but with inventory that Camping World will select.  Camping World is primarily a supplier of RV's and accessories. Gander Mountain, in its former role as an outfitter, is gone and won't be coming back.

rated:

rated:
The store in Austin says that you can even buy the store fixtures... Seems like it is closing for real. Firearms were only 10% off so not a good deal yet, but trying to keep any eye on it.

rated:
Each location is going to be evaluated by Camping World for potential profitability. With the bankruptcy, under the terms of the deal they can walk from all locations. In other words, if a landlord wants to keep a store, he's going to have to cut the rent.  I suspect that if Camping World has figured out which stores it definitely wants, it will strike a deal with the liquidators to keep fixtures it wants.  Or, every store will be gutted so they can rebuild as they see fit.  The liquidators don't give a rat's behind about anything except maximizing dollars.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017