• filter:

Recommend a cellphone provider

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
BLUF: I am seeking suggestions on a new cellphone provider. I currently use 600 talk minutes/mo but now must add foreign texting capabilities. Like always, lowest cost option is preferred.

I currently use a prepaid provider at $0.023/min talk and $0.01/text. I cannot receive nor send foreign texts. Though I am never near Wi-Fi, I don't use data. I have an unlocked Nexus S from my ptel days. I am open to any provider (Republic Wireless, Project Fi, Mint SIM, etc.) and phone; I do not require anything fancy. I just need something that meets my needs - the cheaper the better.

Thank you for your help.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Solomon960 said:   BLUF: I am seeking suggestions on a new cellphone provider. I currently use 600 talk minutes/mo but now must add foreign texting capabilities. Like always, lowest cost option is preferred.

I currently use a prepaid provider at $0.023/min talk and $0.01/text. I cannot receive nor send foreign texts. Though I am never near Wi-Fi, I don't use data. I have an unlocked Nexus S from my ptel days. I am open to any provider (Republic Wireless, Project Fi, Mint SIM, etc.) and phone; I do not require anything fancy. I just need something that meets my needs - the cheaper the better.

Thank you for your help.

You might also consider adding data to your phone and use an email to text gateway if the people you want to text have a provider that offers it.  With that you would compose an email and it would be delivered as a text message.  The person on the other end can then reply to the email address from their text messaging app.  I would recommend testing it first to make sure everything works as certain providers implement it differently.  I used that a lot with the Peek email only device and it worked well domestically.

rated:
For foreign text, just download free WhatsApp and with that, you can chat, send pics/vids and talk for free as long as you and the other party have wifi coverage or data plan.  Very minimal data use with WhatsApp if you have limited data plan.

rated:
Bogus WhatsApp has been showing up in my regular Email SPAM ... sometimes with a virus attached. Not the fault of WhatsApp, but still a concern and risk.

rated:
Get the Line app.

rated:
JW10 said:   Bogus WhatsApp has been showing up in my regular Email SPAM ... sometimes with a virus attached. Not the fault of WhatsApp, but still a concern and risk.

WhatsApp is big in Europe and South America. You could also use Facebook Messenger if both parties are FB friends.

rated:
qcumber98 said:   Get the Line app.
  Does that do txt or just IM?

rated:
Just learned I will be traveling over the next four months and must use a "Group Me" app to stay in contact with the main office. I'm still uncertain of which carrier to use; all these apps make me think I need an expensive "unlimited everything" plan. Does anyone have experience using several "low-cost" cellular providers and discovered one provides substantial benefits (e.g. call reliability and reception) vs others? I just view every carrier the same - expensive and cumbersome to use. Add in my travels and international communications and I fret over large monthly bills await me when my current balance dries up.

rated:
Seeking personal thoughts on Boom Mobile, Ultra Mobile, and Puppy Wireless. Ultra offers international mobile calling and texting to 60 countries (two of which apply to me) for $19/mo.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017