• filter:

Thieves Use Starbucks Mobile App to Steal Hundreds of Dollars from Customers

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Do you use the Starbucks app to earn rewards points? This long-time security problem with the app still exists, and it's caused a recent uptick in thefts using the app: https://www.fatwallet.com/blog/starbucks-mobile-app-thefts 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Cool! Hope their business gets affected by this and people stop spending 5 bucks for a coffee!

rated:
I stopped using the app after the THIRD time! Used an AMEX card so no loss except the hassle.

rated:
GADOM said:   I stopped using the app after the THIRD time! Used an AMEX card so no loss except the hassle.
  Wow, three times? When did this happen? We're hearing you can load your app in-store if you don't want to connect a payment option, so that could be a good option for you if you still want to use the app to collect rewards.

rated:
bharatiya said:   Cool! Hope their business gets affected by this and people stop spending 5 bucks for a coffee!
  The most expensive size of "coffee" at Starbucks runs about $2.50. A 12oz "tall" coffee is about $1.85. If you register a Starbucks card you can get unlimited refills with those for free. Dunkin Donuts costs about the same, but doesn't offer free refills.

True, if you order a fancy espresso drink, it's going to cost you more.

rated:
Well, the problem is with people getting their accounts hacked because of weak passwords, reusing them, or being phished, and money siphoned off...

rated:
Blackbird_Flies said:   
GADOM said:   I stopped using the app after the THIRD time! Used an AMEX card so no loss except the hassle.
  Wow, three times? When did this happen? We're hearing you can load your app in-store if you don't want to connect a payment option, so that could be a good option for you if you still want to use the app to collect rewards.

  In June thru August 2016. Each time I used a new password and a new CC and a new Starbucks card so it was not sloppy security on my part. You can reload in store if you like the snide remarks and the impatient sighs as you hold up the line.
 

rated:
rsuaver said:   Well, the problem is with people getting their accounts hacked because of weak passwords, reusing them, or being phished, and money siphoned off...
  It's a little more complicated than that, unfortunately. The article I posted dives into some of the weaknesses of the app itself, including security features Starbucks has yet to implement.

rated:
Deleted my credit card from my mobile app today, only using apple pay. Thanks for the heads up!

rated:
So can't you just opt to not save a credit card as a payment method?

If you're using visa checkout or whatever, the thief would have to compromise your visa checkout login info instead of a saved cc.

rated:
Use cash.
Screw all this nonsense.

rated:
kingdoodler88 said:   Use cash.
Screw all this nonsense.

Seriously, who wants the convenience, free reward drinks, free refills, coupons, free drinks on your birthday, etc.! Certainly nobody on this forum!

And I really really hate getting 2% cash back on everything. What an annoyance!

Plus, I really miss having to go to an ATM all the time, carry clinking change around in my pockets then dump it in a jar and then try to find a place with a machine that will accept it while only siphoning off 6-10% as a fee. Ah, good times!

rated:
AlwaysWrite said:   carry clinking change around in my pockets then dump it in a jar and then try to find a place with a machine that will accept it while only siphoning off 6-10% as a fee. Ah, good times!
 

  A better alternative:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/ynw88i/stand-up-daniel-tosh--cargo...

rated:
AlwaysWrite said:   kingdoodler88 said:   Use cash.
Screw all this nonsense.

Seriously, who wants the convenience, free reward drinks, free refills, coupons, free drinks on your birthday, etc.! Certainly nobody on this forum!

And I really really hate getting 2% cash back on everything. What an annoyance!



I agree with you on using credit cards in most places, however Starbucks has proven itself again to be insecure and if your card gets compromised its really inconvinient to not be able to use your 2% cashback card at stores and restaurants for a few days while you wait for the new one to be sent out to you.

You can get the free rewards drinks and all the other stuff you mentioned by having the Starbucks barista scan the app on your phone and using cash. My wife does this and all the baristas at every Starbucks we've been to know how to do it. Basically, they take your cash, scan the qr code to add the money to your account and then scan it again to pay for your purchase.

rated:
bharatiya said:   Cool! Hope their business gets affected by this and people stop spending 5 bucks for a coffee!
  Startbucks is smart.  Learn from them and come up with an idea to take advantage of fools.  Lots of ideas out there.  

rated:
All passwords can be brute forced.
Starbucks will allow 25 character passwords.
I doubt most thieves would bother brute forcing a password of that size.

rated:
this is awesome. let the customers sue the company for this. Who pays 5 bucks for a coffee when you make it at 1/10 of a price at home

rated:
Blackbird_Flies said:   
rsuaver said:   Well, the problem is with people getting their accounts hacked because of weak passwords, reusing them, or being phished, and money siphoned off...
  It's a little more complicated than that, unfortunately. The article I posted dives into some of the weaknesses of the app itself, including security features Starbucks has yet to implement.

  
I read it again in case I missed something. But the only issue I see is with allowing the app to stay logged in with old credentials. I wonder if those with an issue had phones lost/stolen that weren't password locked or something. If you change your password, you cannot log in with an old one. This only works if you were already logged in.

Of course, two-factor auth on both devices and online would be better.

rated:
ionxchanger said:   this is awesome. let the customers sue the company for this. Who pays 5 bucks for a coffee when you make it at 1/10 of a price at home
  With all due respect, even as amusing as calling it fivebucks is, a brewed coffee does not cost $5
  A 16 OZ coffee costs $2.10 (http://www.fastfoodmenuprices.com/starbucks-prices/)
 Brewng it at home is $.70 or 1/3 the price, not 1/10 (http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/The-Simple-Dollar/2011/1111/Ho...  
Yes, it is cheaper, but 1/10 I do not agree

rated:
Interesting... according to your link, home-brewing just black coffee is 42 cents per cup (38˘ for the coffee, 2˘ for a filter, 2˘ pro-rated for the coffee pot, not counting water & electricity).

Very interestingly, buying them on sale at Costco, the Starbucks Via packets are 42 cents each. (And, unlike Starbucks coffee in the store, I like them.)

Also, according to Douglas Adams, this can NOT be a coincidence...

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017