No injury auto accident, how to ask for comps for my troubles?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I got rear-ended at a stop light, the other driver admitted fault and their insurance co took 100% responsibility for damage to my van.  No injury to anyone in our Sienna van so no medical claim.  This was about two months ago and still no pain in the neck, back etc.  I'm looking for some type of compensation for my troubles as a result of this accident.  i.e. we were unable to attend a function on the day of the accident as my wife was shaken up a bit, also spent some time at two repair shops getting estimates, plus one day the insurance co sent the adjuster to take a look the damage himself so waiting for him for a few hours during a weekday.  So, is it normal to look for some type of comps for my troubles?  If so, what should it be?  20% of the property damage or more/less? BTW, I'm dealing with the other driver's ins co, not mine as I only have liability coverage on my van.

When I spoke to a junior adjuster, he said that he can only approve the check for damage to my van, not for anything else unless I had a medical claim.  He said that if I'm looking for anything more than that, then I need to speak to a senior adjuster next week.

Edited for typos.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You can only get actual damages sustained from the other insurance company, like lost wages if you had to take off work for getting estimates or if the function you missed involved buying tickets and you missed the event because of the accident. Your time has no monetary value since you cannot accurately gauge the amount.

I'm surprised no one has any type of injury from the accident, whiplash or soreness should be expected from that type of accident and then PT would be recommended. After treatment, only then would you get a settlement from the insurance company to pay for your remaining medical bills.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017