Where is the best place to get oil change?

Archived From: Deal Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I purchased new tires September 2015 , these are Kumho for my Toyota yaris

Fast forward, yesterday I was in Discount Tire getting air and the guy said my front tires have 5/32 thread

I was shocked, tires were only year and a half old

It turns out the walmart that I for oil change never rotated the tires and that is why the wear on the front tires was too much

Called walmart and they said they charge $2.50 per tire to rotate, So the oil change comes to 19.99+2.5*4=$30

Is there any place that does oil change including tire rotation for less? Walmart uses quaker state oil by the way

Walmart also charges $9.00 per tire for lifetime tire rotation

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Why would oil change service include tire rotation? Was it included in the details when you signed the work order? 

Oil change is oil change, not tire rotation. Most Discount Tire will rotate your tire for free. Ask.

Tire wear also depends a lot on driving habits.

Less than $20 for an oil change?

Ummm..if you do it in your driveway.

Most tire companies rotate for free (To sell you new tires of course)
And 5/32 isn't 'bad', unless you live in a rural area.

Next time get tires at Sams Club. Their tire installation prices includes road hazard warranty and tire rotation and balance for the life of the tires (every 7500). I believe Costco is similar.

The answer was right under your nose. Discount Tire will rotate your tires for free, even if you didn't buy your tires from them. Also, get your own portable air compressor.

rsuaver said:   Next time get tires at Sams Club. Their tire installation prices includes road hazard warranty and tire rotation and balance for the life of the tires (every 7500). I believe Costco is similar.
  You might've jumped the shark with this advice,

OP wanted an oil change that comes with free rotations, he didn't want tires.

kirbydog said:   Why would oil change service include tire rotation? Was it included in the details when you signed the work order? 
Usually the vehicle is up in the air anyway.  

I'm guessing some garages include tire rotation because they don't want to lower the price of their oil changes further.

larrymoencurly said:   
kirbydog said:   Why would oil change service include tire rotation? Was it included in the details when you signed the work order? 

I'm guessing some garages include tire rotation because they don't want to lower the price of their oil changes further.

At the discount places usually not.  Jiffy Lube has a track under  the ground for that.  It saves on the maintenance of a lift.

But no matter how 'free' it sounds, a tire rotation can take up to 15 mins and is wear and tear on the equipment.  Most shops charge this service, and most tire places 'dont' because they want to sell you tires.

OP will probably have to go to two different places to get the best price.

Without knowing where you live, it is hard to suggest a better price.

In My area, Kearns Auto in Jefferson WI, has a deal currently for $15.99, normal oil, and filter change, with tire rotation, no shop fees, no other charges, just roll in and get it done.

larrymoencurly said:   

hmm, that is often not the case for express oil change places around here (SF Bay Area). Lifts are not used.
Excessive wear on the front tires could be indicative of a number of issues including improper inflation, misalignment, poor driving habits.

ZenNUTS said:   Oil change is oil change, not tire rotation. Most Discount Tire will rotate your tire for free. Ask.

Tire wear also depends a lot on driving habits.

Absolutely!

Missed in all this discussion is that tires do not age by time. They age by usage. As an example, if you put 60K miles on them in a year and a half, it's time for them to go.
Also, Kumho does not mean anything by itself. They make tires in all kinds of quality.
And lastly, if a tire's life is advertised as 60K, expect it to last far less.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017