• filter:

Staples Rebates

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I just figured I'd give people a heads up on a not so hot deal from Staples.

As many of you may know, you can call up the number on the back of the rebate card and request a check for the amount on the card. It's a fairly painless process, all be a bit slow.

As of April 5th, that option ended. Unfortunately, many of the customer service agents are unaware that it ended, and will process the request anyway. It will usually (possibly always) be rejected by their back office and you will wind up with nothing. If this happens to you, you can call and get them to reactivate the card.

In case anyone has any question as to why this change occurred. A Staples employee (fairly high up) stated that any money left on the card when it expires is returned to Staples... I'll let you draw your own conclusions from that.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You think only Staples does this?? All companies do this with left over funds. And it's not only companies as people who use commuter cards also lose funds too.

rated:
I can concur with OP, on CSRs being unaware ...and clueless and being very inefficient/downright obnoxious -- even for simple things like price matching I find one CSR replies, say they successfully PM'd and are sending gift card for dollar difference that never comes, after 10 business days asking them again someone else replies there was nothing due to me!, then again asking them to refer to prior CSR comments, someone else replies apologizing but again nothing happens for10 days and so on... the comedy of errors not ending, making me wonder if worth pursuing 5-10 bux for so long but FW spirit pulls me along

rated:
AniGrumpy, I certainly had my suspicions that this is why they used rebate cards and not checks, but this is the first time I ever had a high level employee confirm this. And, no, I don't think Staples is the only company to do this, but for many years they didn't, so this is new, and I think it's worthy of a post. If anyone has outstanding money, I think it's unlikely they'll get it and they need to be aware of it.

rated:
This 'fairly high up employee' did they work at corporate or the store? if at the store, they don't know much, it could just be speculation (But it does make a lot of sense)

rated:
i called last week to convert a debit card to check. just now, i tried to see the balance and it won't let me log in - the website says "the card you entered is blocked." i have never before tried to see the balance of a card i converted, so i don't know if this is unusual.

how long should i wait, before asking them to reactivate the card?

rated:
Forbin, it was a corporate person, well above customer service level.

crabbin, what you are describing is not unusual. If you request a check, they will deactivate the card, and it will say: "the card you entered is block" if you check on it. The check request will then either be honored or rejected. If it's rejected nothing will happen, and you'll have to call them up and ask them to reactivate the card (or they can send you a new one) -- there is no time limit to do that. If it's accepted you'll get the check. So you need to ask yourself how long you want to wait. I don't think there is a negative consequence to waiting other than not having access to the money. So, you might want to wait 3-4 weeks, and then call them if you still haven't received the check. You may also be able to check on rebateshq. If they gave you a tracking number for the check, you can check that. If not, there may be a "Keystone Appeasement" promotion listed, which should (but not always) is generated in response to a check request.

rated:
In some states (NJ and PA for sure) unclaimed balances must be turned over to the state after a couple of years and the consumer can get the money by providing proof. You would think this is a disincentive but apparently, the vast majority of merchants are ignoring the law and stealing unused balances for themselves.

rated:
hpmax said:   ... You may also be able to check on rebateshq. If they gave you a tracking number for the check, you can check that. If not, there may be a "Keystone Appeasement" promotion listed, which should (but not always) is generated in response to a check request.
Not always is correct. I got a check that was listed as a Keystone appeasement for returning funds for fraud committed using my Staples rebate card. Funny thing is they also sent a rebate card for the fraud amount but then zeroed it out. What a waste.

rated:
Just received this email titled "Your New Staples Rebate Card":
ser said: Your new Staples Rebate Card is coming soon.
Marco,
Your Staples Rebate Card, with Tracking Number * 75709xxxx*, is being reissued due to potential unauthorized transactions. You should receive your replacement card in 7-10 days. It will come in a white envelope with the Staples logo. The new card will arrive ready to use. The balance will reflect the current remaining balance on your card, taking into account any previous purchases you made. As with your previous card, it expires six months from the new issue date, so please be sure to use it by then. Your original card is no longer active. If you have any questions about your replacement card, please contact us at 1-844-618-6946, 9 a.m. – 11 p.m. CT, Monday – Friday.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Sincerely,
The Staples Easy Rebate Team

I am expecting $20 Rebate card for doing the Visa GC deal and 5 days ago I received the massage "Your rebate is in the mail! (Really.)" but I have yet to receive the card and the tracking numbers don't match.
So, I checked rebatesHQ with the above tracking number and It shows a rebate submitted date 11/1x/16.
Not really sure what is going on here as I did receive the card and drained it completely?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017