• filter:

My FreedomPop account suddenly shows "upgrade" to FREE unlimited data plan (500 MB high speed and then throttled speed)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I was shocked to see that all of my accounts (non-SIM) are showing unlimited data. When I checked the plan details it reads this:

MY VOICE AND DATA PLAN

• Basic 200 Details and Plan Management 
  • Talk: 200 MinutesText: 500 Messages
  • Data Limit: Unlimited
  • High Speed Data Limit: 500 MB
  • Price: $0.00/Month
  • Sign Up for ServicesChoose from various award-winning services and extras!Learn More 

Am I dreaming or what!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
My screen looks normal but I have a SIM.

LorenPechtel (Jun. 02, 2017 @ 1:57p) |

It is a minor item, but the MCC Visa Merchant Code for my monthly FreedomPop bills out changed from internet service to ... (more)

JW10 (Jun. 09, 2017 @ 1:50a) |

wait.. you're paying for FreedomPop services?

yurgreat (Jun. 09, 2017 @ 3:17p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
PayPal $1000 to my account to check if you're dreaming.

rated:
I just did! 

But seriously, anyone else seeing this change to their FreedomPop (non-SIM) account?

rated:
I did not start this thread for jokes. Sorry.

rated:
love4money said:   I was shocked to see that all of my accounts (non-SIM) are showing unlimited data. When I checked the plan details it reads this:

MY VOICE AND DATA PLAN

• Sign Up for ServicesChoose from various award-winning services and extras!Learn More 

Am I dreaming or what!

This looks like unlimited data for phones only.  My Hotspot seems to remain on the normal plan.  Interesting.  No notice.

rated:
Enjoy it while you can. These companies (e.g. RingPlus) can only burn cash for so long before it catches up with them, and then the party ends.

Throttled unlimited data may not be all you are dreaming it will be. I have Tello which offers something similar. They throttle data to 64Kbps after I reach my monthly high speed data limit. I've tried it at the slow speed; it's really slow, barely usable, but it lets me keep using my phone, at least - not completely dead. It's slow enough that I'm likely to pay the 2 cents per MB for extra high speed data from my PayGo balance.

rated:
As long as the data that I automatically earn every month by having Freedom Friends (500 MB) and any data that my Freedom Friends donate to me are still going to be at high speed (which can be up to 1000 MB per month on top of the 500 MB from the plan, i.e. total of 1500 MB), then the free unlimited data plan is positively a great news!

rated:
giqcass said:   
love4money said:   I was shocked to see that all of my accounts (non-SIM) are showing unlimited data. When I checked the plan details it reads this:

MY VOICE AND DATA PLAN

Am I dreaming or what!

This looks like unlimited data for phones only.  My Hotspot seems to remain on the normal plan.  Interesting.  No notice.

No.  It doesn't look like it's for phones only.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   Enjoy it while you can. These companies (e.g. RingPlus) can only burn cash for so long before it catches up with them, and then the party ends.

Throttled unlimited data may not be all you are dreaming it will be. I have Tello which offers something similar. They throttle data to 64Kbps after I reach my monthly high speed data limit. I've tried it at the slow speed; it's really slow, barely usable, but it lets me keep using my phone, at least - not completely dead. It's slow enough that I'm likely to pay the 2 cents per MB for extra high speed data from my PayGo balance.

I agree with the "enjoy the party while you can" sentiment. Telecom is in constant flux, so there is no such thing as "permanent" anyway, and the only thing that's sure is that wholesale prices should continue to drop unless anti-competitive events such as a merger might happen.

I would note that FP has been in business for a while so they may have a somewhat viable business plan (or at least a way to burn less cash than they bring in).

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   Enjoy it while you can. These companies (e.g. RingPlus) can only burn cash for so long before it catches up with them, and then the party ends.

I agree with the "enjoy the party while you can" sentiment, but do enjoy it.  I still don't understand the acrimonious hate relationship some here have had with Ringplus.  Was lovely service while it lasted.  Free Phone for 7 lines in my household for 1.5 years with occasional fees to bump up the limits to ever larger limits.  I probably paid a few bucks per month with substantially unreachable limits for 1.5 years.

Telecom is in constant flux, so there is no such thing as "permanent" anyway, and the only thing that's sure is that wholesale prices should continue to drop unless anti-competitive events such as a merger might happen.

I would note that FP has been in business for a while so they may have a somewhat viable business plan (or at least a way to burn less cash than they bring in).  Be careful to control what FP charges you,  The other day we found 2 services miraculously turned on for our international 3-in-1 SIMs.  

rated:
Can confirm my accounts are showing the same thing.  I am not complaining ...

rated:

You also have to put these companies into perspective.  RingPlus was screaming "shady" from day one and many people used it as the primary phone despite many warnings. It was painful for them when the bottom dropped out. FP has been around much longer and a is lot more stable.  It had questionable practices in its early days, but has cleaned up its act and improved customer service.  I very much like the service and plan to enjoy them while I can.

rated:
aleck said:   

You also have to put these companies into perspective.  RingPlus was screaming "shady" from day one and many people used it as the primary phone despite many warnings. It was painful for them when the bottom dropped out. FP has been around much longer and a is lot more stable.  It had questionable practices in its early days, but has cleaned up its act and improved customer service.  I very much like the service and plan to enjoy them while I can.

But how do they make money?  How many of their users are actually paying customers?

rated:
My account reflects the same....woohoo! while it lasts....

rated:
Same here OP.
Don't know if it's good thing or yet another trick from FP.
Time will tell.

rated:
can you test how slow is unlimited

rated:
love4money said:   As long as the data that I automatically earn every month by having Freedom Friends (500 MB) and any data that my Freedom Friends donate to me are still going to be at high speed (which can be up to 1000 MB per month on top of the 500 MB from the plan, i.e. total of 1500 MB), then the free unlimited data plan is positively a great news!
  my +500megs from freedom friends got wiped by this "upgrade".

now I only have 500megs high speed data.
then unlimited at low speeds

rated:
yurgreat said:   
  my +500megs from freedom friends got wiped by this "upgrade".
now I only have 500megs high speed data.
then unlimited at low speeds

So the catch here is that they killed any extra data from Freedom Friends pool.
But (hopefully) the good news is that they can't charge you anymore if you exceed your data allotment. One less thing to worry about.

rated:
Double check that your autoload where they charge your CC about $10.00 to cover extra minutes etc is turned OFF.

Be sure to USE your phone or device at least every other month. When I failed to do so, They blocked access to the service, yet continued to charge my credit card. I ended up purchasing an upgraded device and starting over. It took over an hour waiting on the land line to talk to a CSR who only had half a clue.

My sister is going thru the same problem.

rated:
JW10 said:   Double check that your autoload where they charge your CC about $10.00 to cover extra minutes etc is turned OFF.

Be sure to USE your phone or device at least every other month. When I failed to do so, They blocked access to the service, yet continued to charge my credit card. I ended up purchasing an upgraded device and starting over. It took over an hour waiting on the land line to talk to a CSR who only had half a clue.

But you have to pay $5 to turn off auto reload.
Did they tell you why they charged you when you were not using your phone? I am assuming you were on basic free plan.
I mean is there an inactivity fee of some sort?
I have not used my SIM cards for months and no charges yet but they can't charge me since I used either virtual CC or GC with less than a dollar on it.

rated:
so how slooooooooooooooow is the throttled speeds?
can I still use google maps while driving?

rated:
yurgreat said:   so how slooooooooooooooow is the throttled speeds?
can I still use google maps while driving?

You can use Google Maps while driving without any mobile data.  Just pre-download (while on WiFi) the "offline area" in Google Maps of the area in which you will be driving, then put the phone into airplane mode and drive.

rated:
It was unlimited yesterday. Now, it is back to normal.

rated:
delson said:   It was unlimited yesterday. Now, it is back to normal.
  yup.. just checked.
back to 1gig free high speed + $$$ for additional megs.

I like 1gig free better if I couldn't get google maps with real time traffic to work w/throttled speeds

rated:
I guess the OP was dreaming after all.

rated:
JW10 said:   Double check that your autoload where they charge your CC about $10.00 to cover extra minutes etc is turned OFF.

My sister is going thru the same problem.

I got turned off before for "non use".  I didn't need to talk to anyone to get it back on and I didn't buy a new device.

rated:
giqcass said:   
  I got turned off before for "non use".  I didn't need to talk to anyone to get it back on and I didn't buy a new device.

What did you do to turn it "on" ?

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
giqcass said:   

What did you do to turn it "on" ?

If you have not singned in for a while it asks if you want to reactivate.  Something just popped up on my screen.  Otherwise open a ticket or post in the forum.

rated:
I just checked my account, no such thing.

rated:
My friend also saw this on all three of his accounts but the next day it went away.

rated:
I suspect this might be a beta test for a new plan meant for a handful of people and someone hit the wrong switch. Merely a suspicion with nothing to back it up.

rated:
I recently got a new hotspot with this trial plan:

Data Limit: Unlimited
High Speed Data Limit: 2 GB
Additional Data: $0 per MB
Price: $24.99/Month

rated:
My screen looks normal but I have a SIM.

rated:
It is a minor item, but the MCC Visa Merchant Code for my monthly FreedomPop bills out changed from internet service to subscription services. The difference is it was getting 5X points on my credit card, but at the end of May only got 1X points.

rated:
JW10 said:   It is a minor item, but the MCC Visa Merchant Code for my monthly FreedomPop bills out changed from internet service to subscription services. The difference is it was getting 5X points on my credit card, but at the end of May only got 1X points.
  wait.. you're paying for FreedomPop services?

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017