• filter:

Staples Manager making up rules again

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Todays trip to Staples to burn rewards and turn them into rebates took another twist in the long line of made up rules.
Long ago they started to enforce the one coupon per person per day, so for about a year now, we need to make 4 transactions to get the limit of 4 rebates on items. We normally go shopping and stop at 2 Staples Stores and each do a transaction , for a total of 4.

In todays trip, the long time mostly cooperative employee, got the manager over,  the manager claims the coupon is one per household, not per person and wanted to see our ids, to verify we were in fact from separate households. I nicely asked her to read the coupon, the part where it says one per customer, not household. She replies it is supposed to say household, the big area manager just had a meeting to crack down on people who abuse the coupon. She did allow us to each buy our stuff.

Just when I thought they couldn't fabricate new fake rules, The Manager struck again.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts

AniGrumpy (Jun. 12, 2017 @ 4:00p) |

Must live nearby... Exactly the same problem...

rsuaver (Jun. 13, 2017 @ 6:50p) |

I hope the other 2 cars were there to return something they purchased .

LORENW (Jun. 13, 2017 @ 8:13p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
Aren't there other ways of saving money that don't require the humiliation of shopping at Staples and arguing with the checkers about coupons?

rated:
It's not just Staples. A lot of managers in a lot of businesses make up their own rules as they go along.

I shop at the second-closest ShopRite to me. They encourage coupon use, even doubled, because they make the sale, and they understand they get the full value of the coupon reimbursed to them, plus 8c each. Multiple separate purchases? No problem. Holding up the line because of excessive coupon use? Again, no problem. They just open up another register.

The nearest one? Coupon nazis! AND they make up rules on a whim.

rated:
Bizarrely, I think the place where I've had the most coupon issues is would be fast food places. First, there's Chipotle. They used to give these coupons from their online Farm Team program for things like 5 free burritos, and they would insist upon ringing me up for five burritos when I only got one, even though it clearly says you can use them all at once or one at a time. The one time, when I told a manager that I could use it again, she told me I could, but that would be "unethical." Contacting corporate got it cleared up. Lately, though, Chipotle has been doing a lot of text message coupon offers that are scanned at the register. And, wouldn't you know it, this same manager insists upon having those text offers "printed out" to use them, so that she can keep track of the coupons used and place her "VOID" stamp on it to make sure nobody reuses it. It's difficult (if not impossible, since most people can't print from their phones very easily) to print text messages. It's a QR code that is one-time use, she seems to have no clue what a QR code is or how it works. Fortunately, there is one closer to me now where I've had zero coupon issues, but I can't figure out what the deal is with that manager at the one I used to go to.

Then Pizza Hut, don't even get me started on them. The ones here used to put the national coupons on their website, let you order with those coupons, then you show up and tell you that you used an "unauthorized coupon" and demand you pay them full price as your "punishment" for committing "coupon fraud." One manager me told that I either needed to pay full price for my pizza or she was going to call the police since it cost Pizza Hut money to make my pizza, and that I was committing theft since failed to meet my agreement to pay for it. Oh, really? My agreement (and even that wasn't binding, but I would never place an order without the intent to pay what I agreed to for it) was to pay the $8 or whatever the online price was, not the $15 they were insisting upon after I came in. I just walked out and left the pizza on the counter, I kind of hope she did call the police... I would imagine that probably wouldn't have gone well for her. They've gotten better lately and actually participate in the national offers, but all of those years of their nastiness regarding coupons has made me a pretty infrequent (maybe once a year, I used to go once a month) customer nonetheless.

rated:
LORENW said:   
 She replies it is supposed to say household, the big area manager just had a meeting to crack down on people who abuse the coupon. She did allow us to each buy our stuff.

Just when I thought they couldn't fabricate new fake rules, The Manager struck again.

Just for some fairness, isn't your problem with the "big area manager". The manager is making up rules to follow the orders of the "big area manager". Seems "big area manger" ordered the code red.

rated:
Store management are not making up rules, they are being forced to enforce them due to charge backs. Staples employees are now supposed to take a rewards number in order to track coupon abuse and at the same time that employee is being tracked on the amount of coupons they take daily/weekly/monthly. Everything is now being tracked with what is called metrics and when someone falls out of the normal range write-ups are soon to follow.

rated:
JamesTKirk said:   
LORENW said:   
 She replies it is supposed to say household, the big area manager just had a meeting to crack down on people who abuse the coupon. She did allow us to each buy our stuff.

Just for some fairness, isn't your problem with the "big area manager". The manager is making up rules to follow the orders of the "big area manager". Seems "big area manger" ordered the code red.

I don't think so, I went to the other Staples about 5 miles away and got no made up rule at that one, just an hour later.
This was just a manager winging it

rated:
JamesTKirk said:   
LORENW said:   

It's in the Stores Ops Policy & Procedure which is put out by corporate (policy code 71).

rated:
kingdoodler88 said:   Aren't there other ways of saving money that don't require the humiliation of shopping at Staples and arguing with the checkers about coupons?

I hear this.  I stopped my Staples purchases long ago, and sold my stock.  This company won't be around in the future, I'll bet it doesn't make 2020.  

This is like chases Sears and Kmart deals also.

In general, much of the hoop jumping for what used to be fun and worthwhile is no longer.  As I've grown older, I value my time more.  

rated:
EradicateSpam said:   
kingdoodler88 said:   Aren't there other ways of saving money that don't require the humiliation of shopping at Staples and arguing with the checkers about coupons?

I hear this.  I stopped my Staples purchases long ago, and sold my stock.  This company won't be around in the future, I'll bet it doesn't make 2020.  

This is like chases Sears and Kmart deals also.

In general, much of the hoop jumping for what used to be fun and worthwhile is no longer.  As I've grown older, I value my time more.  

Staples is up for sale. All the top  people have been selling off their stock. Ron Sargent sold off around a million shares within the past few months (which is worth less then the $14 Million Golden Parachute he got as he left the company). Thus currently all, except for one, now have less than 200,000 diluted shares. Employees and ex-employees now only own less than 3% of the total stock out there. Pretty much a sign of a sinking ship. 

rated:
AniGrumpy said:   
JamesTKirk said:   
LORENW said:   

It's in the Stores Ops Policy & Procedure which is put out by corporate (policy code 71).

By all means show ,me where a store ops policy, can give them the authority to change the provisions of a printed coupon that Staples Corp Issued via email, that clearly says one per customer, can be changed to whatever they feel like
We had it covered anyhow, One of us has their old address on their license yet, so even with a fake rule, it was covered.

This is also the very same store that tried to limit me to one ream when it was $7.99 normal price and a $7.98 rebate, with no coupon needed

The same store that Took and kept my register rebate form and rebate receipt, when I had a $20 courtesy coupon from Staples, as they put it, I would make money on the transaction, and rebates are not allowed. I still did it on line, and the rebate did work

The same store that hides rebate paper in the storage area of the store, even when the website says they have 40-50 of the red half cases. I asked one employee, after calling the manager, I was told they were out.  I got another stocking person in the rear of the store, and they said they would grab some, and did. This played out 3-4 times already

rated:
Call the Staples "office of the president" and tell them what happened. They will probably give you a courtesy voucher for your trouble.

rated:
2003-2007 was the time when I was there at Staples every week. Sometimes multiple times. Office max would come every Tuesday. Those days are gone. Who even goes to Staples and for what?

rated:
king0fSpades said:   2003-2007 was the time when I was there at Staples every week. Sometimes multiple times. Office max would come every Tuesday. Those days are gone. Who even goes to Staples and for what?
  I go to keep the $40 monthly ink rewards
Buy laptops to resell
Use that 5% to get more rewards

rated:
yesidonoitall said:   
king0fSpades said:   2003-2007 was the time when I was there at Staples every week. Sometimes multiple times. Office max would come every Tuesday. Those days are gone. Who even goes to Staples and for what?
Buy laptops to resell

Clearance stuff!!  
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1074340 

rated:
  I would extend your 2007 to 10/2016 per my electronic receipts. After 10/2016 pretty much everything fell off the cliff. The people who were posting excellent B&M deals here and on SD basically came to an abrupt halt. Walked into three stores today and there was literally nothing with a clearance label worth purchasing.

rated:
Spooie said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
Buy laptops to resell

Clearance stuff!!  

Ever since Pru stopped posting has there been any real deals? IMO nope.

rated:
LORENW said:   
AniGrumpy said:   
JamesTKirk said:   
LORENW said:   

By all means show ,me where a store ops policy, can give them the authority to change the provisions of a printed coupon that Staples Corp Issued via email, that clearly says one per customer, can be changed to whatever they feel like
We had it covered anyhow, One of us has their old address on their license yet, so even with a fake rule, it was covered.

This is also the very same store that tried to limit me to one ream when it was $7.99 normal price and a $7.98 rebate, with no coupon needed

The same store that Took and kept my register rebate form and rebate receipt, when I had a $20 courtesy coupon from Staples, as they put it, I would make money on the transaction, and rebates are not allowed. I still did it on line, and the rebate did work

The same store that hides rebate paper in the storage area of the store, even when the website says they have 40-50 of the red half cases. I asked one employee, after calling the manager, I was told they were out.  I got another stocking person in the rear of the store, and they said they would grab some, and did. This played out 3-4 times already

Why don't you take the time to read the coupon that lists one coupon code per person and read the ad which lists four easy rebates per household. The  $7.98 rebate is a mixture of both. ($1.98 & $5.99). You can call corp, but realize that at some point you will be labeled as a reseller and your rewards number will be deactivated (blackballed) and easy rebates will be declined. There are threads in SD that cover this subject pretty extensively. 

rated:
LORENW said:   Just when I thought they couldn't fabricate new fake rules, The Manager struck again.

If the circumstances of your life led to you becoming a manager at $taples, wouldn't you be desperately trying to show control over anything you possibly could?  It might not be much, but today I got to mess with "that coupon guy" who is always trying to take advantage of me and my store...

Don't let it bug you - move on, find a different store, or visit when that manager isn't likely to be around.

rated:
mikk1 said:   
LORENW said:   Just when I thought they couldn't fabricate new fake rules, The Manager struck again.

If the circumstances of your life led to you becoming a manager at $taples, wouldn't you be desperately trying to show control over anything you possibly could?  It might not be much, but today I got to mess with "that coupon guy" who is always trying to take advantage of me and my store...

Don't let it bug you - move on, find a different store, or visit when that manager isn't likely to be around.

Never happen, I would rather be the fryer boy at McDonalds
At least there I wouldn't need to make up rules on a daily basis

It is always 3 minutes in the fryer, and dump salt at the fry station, no making up timing, and saying people dont qualify for salt

I am pleased to report, we were the ONLY 2 people in the store, who didn't work there.

rated:
Spooie said:   
yesidonoitall said:   
Buy laptops to resell

Clearance stuff!!  

There is clearance and then their is clearance, in laptops I have seen them marked that, but priced higher that they have been imperviously.
Just because they tell you its a deal, does not make it one.
However there is buyers who flock to the clearance sales...

Same goes for new car dealers...
"This week employee pricing to all"
Yea, all bs.

rated:

Yes, those were the good ol' days at Staples. Tons of FAR software (Norton, Computer Associates, McAfee, etc.) with no yearly limits, FAR photo paper, and lots of "hidden" moneymaking deals every week. The CA software items often had extra rebates on the box which could be combined with the advertised rebates.

Also reminds me of amazing deals every week at Circuit City, where I was able to combine price matching with rebates and turn them into moneymakers (SD cards, flash drives, hard drives, etc.). When you ordered online for in-store pick-up and went to the store to pick up the item, the employee could not see that CC was offering a rebate with the item, so they happily price matched the out-the-door price to BB or OD, and then I was able to still apply for the rebate, turning it into a moneymaker.

rated:
what exactly is the motivation of $Staples or any other manager that makes up rules and declines coupons etc? do they get a bonus? is there a metric for % coupon/sale$? it's not like they get to keep the money, so why the heck to they care? without getting too freudian, is it just a control thing or manifestation of bitterness about life peaking at high school?

rated:
miserly said:   what exactly is the motivation of Staples*s or any other manager that makes up rules and declines coupons etc? do they get a bonus? is there a metric for % coupon/sale$? it's not like they get to keep the money, so why the heck to they care? without getting too freudian, is it just a control thing or manifestation of bitterness about life peaking at high school?
  All Staple*s created coupons and Staple*s created easy rebates are a 100% loss to the store. The funds lost at the register are not funded by some imaginary slush fund from corporate. The same goes for easy rebates related to Staple*s products as they are charged back to the store that sold them. The people who get bonuses are District Managers and up. General Managers and down get daily heat for not hitting their numbers. And if you want to read how high that heat is, then jump over to Reddit and read about it and how high the turnover rate is.

rated:
LORENW said:   

I am pleased to report, we were the ONLY 2 people in the store, who didn't work there.

Just to make you smile:  I drove past my local $taples about an hour ago - 4 cars in the parking lot, 2 of which were in the back row.

rated:
mikk1 said:   
LORENW said:   

Just to make you smile:  I drove past my local $taples about an hour ago - 4 cars in the parking lot, 2 of which were in the back row.

10 year manager at my local Staples bailed, he saw the writing on the wall

rated:

rated:
ocean935 said:   It's not just Staples. A lot of managers in a lot of businesses make up their own rules as they go along.

I shop at the second-closest ShopRite to me. They encourage coupon use, even doubled, because they make the sale, and they understand they get the full value of the coupon reimbursed to them, plus 8c each. Multiple separate purchases? No problem. Holding up the line because of excessive coupon use? Again, no problem. They just open up another register.

The nearest one? Coupon nazis! AND they make up rules on a whim.

Must live nearby... Exactly the same problem... 

rated:
mikk1 said:   
LORENW said:   

I hope the other 2 cars were there to return something they purchased .

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017