• filter:

Best Buy exploring the 'Rental Market'

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
https://www.recode.net/2017/6/12/15771838/best-buy-drone-camera-...
So you rent and hopefully you buy.

Hmmm...why do I think of Rent To Own and other places similar?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I thought that's what a return policy was for...  a free 14 day rental and if you don't like it, take it back.

rated:
agreed, i don't see the point of renting an apple watch for a week for $50... when I can just buy it from Best Buy and have it for 2 weeks for $0 dollars

rated:
Its possible this could end up being combined with a more restrictive return policy in the long run; for example only allowing returns on defective items or for store credit...

rated:
skarydrunkguy said:   I thought that's what a return policy was for...  a free 14 day rental and if you don't like it, take it back.
Used to work for Best Buy, and if the sales model is anything similar to what it was when I was there, returns hurt the individual employees' ratings. We were rated based on amount sold, actual profit, and if the items were returned or not (because that would subtract from our total sales). It hurt our numbers especially badly if there were protection plans that got returned with the items. Basically, we were dinged based on how much we lost in sales from returns + the fact that we clearly sold the customer the wrong item for their needs. We didn't make commission, but we were treated as though we did.

This clearly doesn't apply if an on-the-floor sales person wasn't involved in the sale, but then it's essentially just a loss for the company because they often have to place that item at a discount for being open box. Open box items are often sold very close to or below wholesale value.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017