• filter:

Amazon Prime Discount - Prime Reload

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Amazon just annouced Prime Reload
If you pay with a Debit Card instead of a Credit Card Amazon will give you 2% off your orders.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15793952/amazon-prime-reload-bonus-program-announced

(My Opinion - WTF?  I get 2% back and lose all kinds of protections and warranties for 2%?  No thanks)

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Link to the Amazon site about it:
https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=15452216011

forbin4040 said:   Amazon just annouced Prime Reload
If you pay with a Debit Card instead of a Credit Card Amazon will give you 2% off your orders.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/15793952/amazon-prime-reload-bonus-program-announced 

(My Opinion - WTF?  I get 2% back and lose all kinds of protections and warranties for 2%?  No thanks)

Totally agree. Discover offers 5% back at Amazon during Q4 typically. Could be a new avenue for them to run promotions however. Double cash back events like eBates! 

rated:
I'm failing to see value for me but maybe debit-card only folks will gain some value.

Amazon's own card by Chase offers 5% (for Prime Members) on Amazon purchases. Not that great of a card otherwise (2% @ restaurants/gas/drug, 1% otherwise) redeemable for Amazon credit only. No FOREX fees at least. Also comes with normal Visa Signature benefits.

rated:
Might be an angle for their new low-income Prime program.

rated:
iswhothere2 said:   Might be an angle for their new low-income Prime program.
 Yeah, probably just one of the many strategies they're using to woo the Jet/WaImart crowd (or prevent further converts).

rated:
jarfykk said:   I'm failing to see value for me but maybe debit-card only folks will gain some value.

Amazon 's own card by Chase offers 5% (for Prime Members) on Amazon purchases. Not that great of a card otherwise (2% @ restaurants/gas/drug, 1% otherwise) redeemable for Amazon credit only. No FOREX fees at least. Also comes with normal Visa Signature benefits.

The money you get back on the card is redeemable for things other than Amazon credit. I use it as a statement credit myself.

rated:
Good info, and thanks for posting OP. However I agree with your sentiment.

rated:
nuftjedi said:   
jarfykk said:   I'm failing to see value for me but maybe debit-card only folks will gain some value.

Amazon 's own card by Chase offers 5% (for Prime Members) on Amazon purchases. Not that great of a card otherwise (2% @ restaurants/gas/drug, 1% otherwise) redeemable for Amazon credit only. No FOREX fees at least. Also comes with normal Visa Signature benefits.

The money you get back on the card is redeemable for things other than Amazon credit. I use it as a statement credit myself.

I do that as well. That's the smarter option, since you lose the 5% cash back you would normally get from the use of the Chase Amazon card if you use the cash back as an Amazon payment. 

rated:
iswhothere2 said:   Might be an angle for their new low-income Prime program.

Good point. Truly, if you fall into this group, you might be smarter to use a debit card. One late payment on a CC, or hitting an over-limit fee threshold, and you're even poorer than you were before.

At least if you're using debit, and (wisely) have overdraft protection turned off, then additional fees (debit or CC)  won't come into the picture.

rated:
JohnnyRay said:   
nuftjedi said:   

The money you get back on the card is redeemable for things other than Amazon credit. I use it as a statement credit myself.

I do that as well. That's the smarter option, since you lose the 5% cash back you would normally get from the use of the Chase Amazon card if you use the cash back as an Amazon payment. 

I also do the credit card redemption for points earned on Amazon Visa. It's nice to see that credit on the statement amongst all of our charges. No foreign transaction fees is really great, too.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017