• filter:

Walmart Price Match Discontinued June 12 YMMV

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
A sign I saw sitting on one of the Self Check Registers at a local store
Walmart at this store will no longer price match except for walmart.com 

1) I didn't know they price match
2) And now they stopped it...darn

Edit :
Oh yah I remember that they had price match, when I tried the register person tried that absolute best to deny it.  so I don't price match at walmart..haha

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
 I wonder if this is happening in all their stores. If it is, I don't think this is a smart move, but maybe they think they can get away with it because they have Jet and Amazon doesn't have price matching? Like, I think Best Buy still price matches...what the heck, Walmart.

Maybe they're only discontinuing it at under-performing locations? Ugh, who knows. So little transparency.

Looks like they started doing this last year, but on local ad price matching: https://consumerist.com/2016/08/10/walmart-to-stop-price-matching-of-local-competitors-ads-at-300-additional-stores/ 

rated:
In our area, they stopped almost a year ago.

rated:
mahoganypoet said:   ...I don't think this is a smart move, but maybe they think they can get away with it because they have Jet and Amazon doesn't have price matching? 
 Amaz0n has been frequently automatically "matching" a lot of WaImart's sales since they acquired Jet. I like that a lot better than having to contact the retailer to get a price match on each and every single product  (and that they looking for lower prices for me). It will be interesting to see if WaImart thinks this strategy works for them in light of recent developments. 

rated:
My area (Northern New Jersey) stopped price matching in March (I didn't know until May)

rated:
Pros of the price match: I was shopping for a fairly hard-to-find auto part last night, and clicked through all the first page of google results. Amazon had it for $63.xx and a few links down, I found that Walmart had it for $63.xx; I did a double take as they actually matched it down to the penny. I caused me to pause and consider it, but I'd get an extra 5% off at Amazon, so I went with that.

Cons Not recently, but several months ago it seemed I would often get caught in the checkout line behind someone price matching 10-15 grocery items, forcing the cashier to slow to a crawl, glance at the ad, and adjust each price.

In the end, the 'Con' was pretty painful when you've had a long day, just want to pay for what you're holding and go home. and I dont think I'll miss the PM.

rated:
On an unrelated note, I love how this was just on the self checkout... clearly this wasn't a sign for customers to be seeing given the phrase "Talking Points."

rated:
They still offer price matching in their app. This seems to be a plan to save us from the jerkwad in front of us at the register with six different circulars taking 1/2 hour to check out to save $3. I use the app and get the same $3 as a walmart gift card.

SD

rated:
.......

rated:
Strangedog said:   They still offer price matching in their app. This seems to be a plan to save us from the jerkwad in front of us at the register with six different circulars taking 1/2 hour to check out to save $3. I use the app and get the same $3 as a walmart gift card.

SD

  Well this jerkwad doesn't mind holding up the line of self rightous a-holes. On average I save $25-$50 per trip to Walmart with price matching. Add on the savings from using coupons and that total goes up to $50-$100 at times. Then I use savings catcher for anything I may have missed. My money is important to me.

rated:
Strangedog said:   They still offer price matching in their app. This seems to be a plan to save us from the jerkwad in front of us at the register with six different circulars taking 1/2 hour to check out to save $3. I use the app and get the same $3 as a walmart gift card.

SD

  For groceries, pharmacy, and household cleaning products, yes... Savings Catcher does basically do the same job (it is a Walmart gift card, but if you're shopping there anyway, you'll be back so it's as good as cash really). For pretty much everything else that Walmart sells, though, Savings Catcher is a no-go.

rated:
CouponClippen said:   
Strangedog said:   They still offer price matching in their app. This seems to be a plan to save us from the jerkwad in front of us at the register with six different circulars taking 1/2 hour to check out to save $3. I use the app and get the same $3 as a walmart gift card.

SD

  Well this jerkwad doesn't mind holding up the line of self rightous a-holes. On average I save $25-$50 per trip to Walmart with price matching. Add on the savings from using coupons and that total goes up to $50-$100 at times. Then I use savings catcher for anything I may have missed. My money is important to me.

  Good one
My local area has about 8-10 different grocery ads out each and every week. there is no way Wally app will catch everything.
I have price matched there every time I entered the store, I circle the item and keep things in order, I pricematch 90% of the items I buy at Wally

If your behind me, move to another register, or maybe get to the store earlier

rated:
LORENW said:   
My local area has about 8-10 different grocery ads out each and every week. there is no way Wally app will catch everything.

 

  
Honestly, although we don't have anything close to 8-10 different grocery ads here (Kroger and Meijer are about all we have) it's worked pretty well for me, and locally they include in their comparisons two very small local grocery chains with stores that are housed in former A&P stores. And when I say "former A&P," I should point out that they left our city in 1982 and part of it was because almost all of the stores they had here were small and outdated one from the 1930s/1940s (by 1982 standards!) and they just couldn't continue to compete in our market with those lemons... so these are very obscure stores. I'm sure it's not perfect, and to be honest I don't use it that often since I mostly shop at Kroger and Meijer, but when I have used it, it has worked as expected. I know one time I went there late on Tuesday night (when Kroger's weekly ads end) and intentionally bought stuff that was on sale at Kroger since it was late and Kroger was sort of out of my way, and hoped it would catch it... some of the things were cheaper than Kroger's sale prices to begin with, but for everything else, it caught what it should have.

rated:
Just went to Target because they price matched a coffee maker to Amazon. Walmart is a hole that keeps getting deeper.

rated:
wizardking said:   Just went to Target because they price matched a coffee maker to Amazon. Walmart is a hole that keeps getting deeper.
  Target PM's have to be done at guest services. Walmart PM's are done by the cashier.
Most Targets limit the stores they will PM and will only PM one like item.

rated:
LORENW said:   
CouponClippen said:   
Strangedog said:   They still offer price matching in their app. This seems to be a plan to save us from the jerkwad in front of us at the register with six different circulars taking 1/2 hour to check out to save $3. I use the app and get the same $3 as a walmart gift card.

SD

  Well this jerkwad doesn't mind holding up the line of self rightous a-holes. On average I save $25-$50 per trip to Walmart with price matching. Add on the savings from using coupons and that total goes up to $50-$100 at times. Then I use savings catcher for anything I may have missed. My money is important to me.

  Good one
My local area has about 8-10 different grocery ads out each and every week. there is no way Wally app will catch everything.
I have price matched there every time I entered the store, I circle the item and keep things in order, I pricematch 90% of the items I buy at Wally

If your behind me, move to another register, or maybe get to the store earlier

  The price catcher doesn't 'catch' drug store ads nor does it catch the Hispanic markets in our area. Produce is CHEAP at places like El Super so you bet I PM them at Walmart!

rated:
sdskees said:   
LORENW said:   
My local area has about 8-10 different grocery ads out each and every week. there is no way Wally app will catch everything.

 

  
Honestly, although we don't have anything close to 8-10 different grocery ads here (Kroger and Meijer are about all we have) it's worked pretty well for me, and locally they include in their comparisons two very small local grocery chains with stores that are housed in former A&P stores. And when I say "former A&P," I should point out that they left our city in 1982 and part of it was because almost all of the stores they had here were small and outdated one from the 1930s/1940s (by 1982 standards!) and they just couldn't continue to compete in our market with those lemons... so these are very obscure stores. I'm sure it's not perfect, and to be honest I don't use it that often since I mostly shop at Kroger and Meijer, but when I have used it, it has worked as expected. I know one time I went there late on Tuesday night (when Kroger's weekly ads end) and intentionally bought stuff that was on sale at Kroger since it was late and Kroger was sort of out of my way, and hoped it would catch it... some of the things were cheaper than Kroger's sale prices to begin with, but for everything else, it caught what it should have.

  In MY case, surely knott everyones.
We even have 2 Piggly Wiggly stores with different starting and ending days on sales, plus different prices in their sale flyers each week
Seems each of the different flyers has grab you into the store specials,
Also Walmart does not limit me to one item, like many of the flyers do
And they match Aldi mystery meat prices, for prime steaks
I tried the app when it first came out, For me... it was just useless, as I spent 15 minutes at the service desk getting my refunds.
Ya just need to do what works for you
 

rated:
Price Match made WMT bearable. Price Match ending will force me to redesign my budget. My last trip made only going to one location bearable. I just don't buy enough stuff to go all over town. Without Price Match, you have to time purchases like any other overpriced grocery store.

rated:
CouponClippen said:   
 
  The price catcher doesn't 'catch' drug store ads nor does it catch the Hispanic markets in our area. Produce is CHEAP at places like El Super so you bet I PM them at Walmart!

  Interesting - in my area, Price Catcher does match drugstores (CVS and Walgreens at least).  

rated:
cestmoi123 said:   
CouponClippen said:   
 
  The price catcher doesn't 'catch' drug store ads nor does it catch the Hispanic markets in our area. Produce is CHEAP at places like El Super so you bet I PM them at Walmart!

  Interesting - in my area, Price Catcher does match drugstores (CVS and Walgreens at least).  

  Beginning Feb.14, we are removing some departments consisting mostly of items that do not have a like for like match at other retailers, such as produce and bakery items. Additionally, we are limiting our comparisons to offers of other mass market retailers, grocery and dollar stores, removing comparisons with drug stores,” the email stated.

It’s official! Walmart’s Savings Catcher is no longer price matching with drugstores, including CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid . Produce and bakery items will also be excluded from Savings Catcher. Fortunately, they will still match other mass market retailers and local grocery stores. Also, Target will still be included in price matching.

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017