• filter:

AMAZON buying Whole Foods for 14 Billion

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Wow. My eyes just bugged out of my head and I'm a little scared.

rated:
Hell I would have bought them knowing it's customer were paying 10.00 for cucumber water.....

rated:
i had to click the link just to make sure I was reading that accurately.

rated:
Some funny tweets:
Bezos: "Alexa, buy me something from Whole Foods"
Alexa: "Buying Whole Foods"
Bezos: "Sh1t"

rated:
Amazon is buying Whole Foods for over $13 billion when they could have gotten the same stuff for $8 billion at Kroger.

rated:
Walmart: We're buying Bonobos!
Amazon: Hold my organic, locally sourced, small batch beer.

rated:
So glad I can get rid of those WFM stocks.

rated:
b534202 said:   So glad I can get rid of those WFM stocks.
  Yeah, what are the chances Amazon will make WF even more successful than it currently is? Not sure if you bought in the last few years when it was much higher and simply just want out(which is understandable) but If you can hold Amazon could make this a $100 stock in 5 years, it's not like there has been much advancement in grocery. Watch as Kroger and the other stocks start to feel the pinch of true innovation.  I have no horse in the race but like Amazon's chances.

rated:
14 bil is over priced.

rated:
Hope I can still get my dollar special malpeque's.

rated:
I once went to the newly opened Whole Foods in my neighborhood but walked out without buying anything although a lot of people were buying their overpriced stuff.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   I once went to the newly opened Whole Foods in my neighborhood but walked out without buying anything although a lot of people were buying their overpriced stuff.
  I once went to the newly opened Whole Foods in my...Wait.  No I didn't.  There's nothing in my neighborhood, and nothing much anywhere near my neighborhood.  All but one of the (old fashioned small size) supermarkets closed years ago when the rent was jacked up, and now they're a CVS and 2 Rite Aids.  My neighboring neighborhood's shopping is basically crap.  At least if there was a Whole Foods (or Trader Joes, Costco, Shop Rite or anything worthwhile ANYWHERE near me)  I wouldn't have to haul everything home on the subway and wouldn't be thinking 'What the hell am I going to do when I retire in a couple of years'.

rated:
If your subway is in NYC, try Fresh Direct.

rated:
eandtee said:   If your subway is in NYC, try Fresh Direct.
  Thank you.  If you're into health food groceries, look at Vitacost.com.  They're a mail order (Well, they have one small store on Pilot Road in Las Vegas, 2500 miles from me) nutritional supplement company which carries a decent selection packaged, shelf stable, food items at good prices.  And, they have coupons occasionally, such as for an additional 20% off.

rated:
Dealpouncer said:   
b534202 said:   So glad I can get rid of those WFM stocks.
  Yeah, what are the chances Amazon will make WF even more successful than it currently is? Not sure if you bought in the last few years when it was much higher and simply just want out(which is understandable) but If you can hold Amazon could make this a $100 stock in 5 years, it's not like there has been much advancement in grocery. Watch as Kroger and the other stocks start to feel the pinch of true innovation.  I have no horse in the race but like Amazon 's chances.

No idea ... without some announced plan from Bezos, who knows what he's planning to do with the stores.

rated:
cows123 said:   
marcopolomle said:   I once went to the newly opened Whole Foods in my neighborhood but walked out without buying anything although a lot of people were buying their overpriced stuff.

I once went to the newly opened Whole Foods in my...Wait.  No I didn't.  There's nothing in my neighborhood, and nothing much anywhere near my neighborhood.  
...At least if there was a Whole Foods (or Trader Joes, Costco, Shop Rite or anything worthwhile ANYWHERE near me)  
I wouldn't have to haul everything home on the subway and wouldn't be thinking 'What the hell am I going to do when I retire in a couple of years'.

I once took the subway in my city... wait, no I didn't, as there isn't a subway system in, oh, 500+ miles of me. 

Though my town does have a couple of puny bus routes these days, mainly going from the center of the tiny, hollowed-out, empty-storefronts, rustbelt downtown to the two Walmarts on opposite edges of town.

The closest Whole Foods to me is over an hour's drive, three counties away.

The weirdly-dominant, old-fashioned, locally-based supermarket chain in my town abruptly closed earlier this year and shut down all 7 of their full-size supermarkets here, hollowing out the city's food availability and just leaving 2 Aldis 8 miles apart, 2 Walmarts a different 8 miles apart, and one small Target (not a SuperTarget).  The local economy has been declining for 50 years and is never going to get better, and a sizeable percentage of residents don't have their own car.  The compact, 4-aisle Aldi in my part of town usually just has only 1 or 2 lanes open and the checkout lines are crazy-long now.

On the plus side, I won't be able to retire, so I don't worry now about what I'll do then... 
Yes, denial is serving me well!  I'm not sure why people are so against it; "not just a river in Egypt", pshaw! 

rated:
Hmm. Now that the deal has closed, I was wondering if ama*zon will accept WFM gift cards and vise versa.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017