• filter:

"Amazon patent aims to block in-store searches of competitors"

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I guess as long as you don't user their Wi-Fi in-store, you're fine, but this seems awfully...gross. I mean, they already have so few brick-and-mortar stores as it is. This just seems like a bad move, but of course, it's not gonna hurt them:

http://www.retaildive.com/news/amazon-patent-aims-to-block-in-st...

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Local Walmarts have wifi. It is rare that they actually work for anything. Not even their app works...

rsuaver (Jun. 22, 2017 @ 10:27a) |

F**k that.

420 (Jun. 22, 2017 @ 11:01p) |

Get a better data plan if you are using WiFi in a store. I can only see using public WiFi if cell reception is bad, and ... (more)

mrsgupton (Jun. 23, 2017 @ 12:07p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
mahoganypoet said:   I mean, they already have so few brick-and-mortar stores as it is. 
  You seem to be forgetting about the entire Whole Foods portfolio that they are about to own.

rated:
This kind of manipulative behavior is exemplary of the problem with them getting too big and diminishes my opinion of them. I guess they never heard of free will and fair competition. Now, if they had an app that offered to match the other store's lower price on an item looked up in-store, we'd have something.

rated:
They could use the patent to prevent another physical store from blocking (company named after a large river in South America)'s web site from within the other retailer's network too.

rated:
Pauldow said:   They could use the patent to prevent another physical store from blocking (company named after a large river in South America)'s web site from within the other retailer's network too.
  This was my thought, I don't think they really want implement the tech, they just want to own the IP to prevent everyone else from using it. 

rated:
Amazon just doesn't want their will-be stores to become a showroom just like others.

rated:
Didn't they have an app that you go to Target and scan their stuff and it told you if Amazon was cheaper?

rated:
scoutconnor said:   
mahoganypoet said:   I mean, they already have so few brick-and-mortar stores as it is. 
  You seem to be forgetting about the entire Whole Foods portfolio that they are about to own.

Which is kind of stupid of me considering I wrote an article on it last week. xD

rated:
Occasional said:   
Pauldow said:   They could use the patent to prevent another physical store from blocking (company named after a large river in South America)'s web site from within the other retailer's network too.
  This was my thought, I don't think they really want implement the tech, they just want to own the IP to prevent everyone else from using it. 

I agree. That's probably the motivation.
It's still bad PR, though. When a company gets big enough that it can shut down the competition via lawsuits, it's too big and too monopolistic. At some point, Amazon will go from being the good guy to being the bad guy like the big banks, big cable companies, big oil etc. If they try to enforce this patent, it will be a significant step in that direction.

rated:
To me this patent is almost purely about stopping competitors from blocking access to Amazon on their in-store wifi. Probably mainly have Walmart in mind. 

rated:
Keyboard said:   To me this patent is almost purely about stopping competitors from blocking access to Amazon on their in-store wifi. Probably mainly have Walmart in mind. 
  You might mean Target, my walmart doesn't give free wifi.

rated:
Amazon plays chess multiple steps ahead. Not unthinkable that Walmart would offer wifi down the road and look into finding a way to block Amazon.com.

rated:
The Walmarts I go to, always have wifi. Howver, it is rare when I can actually access Amazon while inside. Made me think they were using this type of technology already.

rated:
History repeating itself... Standard Oil, John Rockefeller, etc. etc.

rated:
You'd kind of have to be daft to connect to an unknown free wifi with your personal device with all your data on it anyway...  remember, if its free, you/your data is the product.  There is no such thing as a "free perk" in the information age.

rated:
People should be very frightened...

rated:
skarydrunkguy said:   You'd kind of have to be daft to connect to an unknown free wifi with your personal device with all your data on it anyway...  remember, if its free, you/your data is the product.  There is no such thing as a "free perk" in the information age.
  A lot of stores don't have any cell coverage.  I get no service in most of the Walmarts in NH.  Wifi is the only option.

rated:
Pretty sure some stores already use this. Can't seem to check prices when I am in Worst Buy

rated:
ACandJVR said:   Pretty sure some stores already use this. Can't seem to check prices when I am in Worst Buy

Yeah, network filtering is not exactly a new idea. The patent goes a little bit further by trying to find ways to 'assist' the price-comparing customer. Personally, I'd find it a pretty big turn-off if every time I tried to look up a product (not necessarily for price comparisons, I often look up reviews or more details) someone in a black-and-orange shirt popped up and asked if they could help me.

rated:
What idiot in the Patent and Trade Office approved this?
Network address filtering to block or re-direct has been around for decades; nothing new there and thus no basis for a patent. And as for the aspect of using the consumers search item details, it is using cyber crime techniques - the patent shows them using proxy servers to execute a "man-in-the-middle" form of wiretapping to view and manipulate information (and/or the session connection).

rated:
anonguy said:   The Walmarts I go to, always have wifi. Howver, it is rare when I can actually access Amazon while inside. Made me think they were using this type of technology already.

Local Walmarts have wifi. It is rare that they actually work for anything. Not even their app works...

rated:
F**k that.

rated:
Get a better data plan if you are using WiFi in a store. I can only see using public WiFi if cell reception is bad, and then it is only for very limited use.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017