• filter:

Cheapest cell phone plan

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'm looking for a plan for a person who uses a flip phone and only makes emergency calls. Appreciate your suggestions
Thanks

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I pay $8.33 a month with AT&T Go Phone (pre-paid) service. Each non-emergency call placed or received costs 10 cents.

With that said, I think if you have any cell phone (even without a plan) you can make free emergency 911 calls with it.

rated:
Thanks

rated:
Tello.
3c per minute of voice.
1c per text.
Deducts automatically from balance.
Need to make only one call every six months to keep phone active, so minimum cost is 6c per year.

rated:
A phone needs to have service in the area the person plans to use it.  Without knowing which providers have coverage where the user plans to make/receive calls, we are just guessing.

The more details you can provide, the more accurate we can guess.   

rated:
ocean935 said:   Tello.
3c per minute of voice.
1c per text.
Need to make only one call every six months to keep phone active, so minimum cost is 6c per year.

Now that's cheap. Good find, ocean. It is times like these I wish I didn't have $154 banked in my Go Phone account (that is non-refundable or transferable and only good if I continue to use a Go Phone)., I got that much money banked because every three months I have to buy a $25 recharge card to keep my account active and the new money gets added to the old money. So after a couple years of use I am now sitting on a large credit that ties me to AT&T for the foreseeable future.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   
3c per minute of voice.
1c per text.

Now that's cheap. Good find, ocean. It is times like these I wish I didn't have $154 banked in my Go Phone account (that is non-refundable or transferable and only good if I continue to use a Go Phone)., I got that much money banked because every three months I have to buy a $25 recharge card to keep my account active and the new money gets added to the old money. So after a couple years of use I am now sitting on a large credit that ties me to AT&T for the foreseeable future.

If you don't mind losing your phone number the balance (SIM card) can be sold on flea bay.  I was doing the $25 every 3 months  go phone plan and had built up a large balance.  I think selling price was a little over 50% of the balance amount.

rated:
surfcaster said:   
MrVietnam said:   
3c per minute of voice.
1c per text.

If you don't mind losing your phone number the balance (SIM card) can be sold on flea bay.  I was doing the $25 every 3 months  go phone plan and had built up a large balance.  I think selling price was a little over 50% of the balance amount.

So what you're saying is if I don't mind losing my phone number AND 50% of my SIM balance, which would be for me a loss of around $77. No thanks.

rated:
Actually, that was good advice at this stage. Why spend good money after bad money?

Another way to look at it:
You have 2M tied up in your account. You can use it for N units.
You sell it for 1M, and apply the funds to carrier X.
Now you get 2N or 3N or 4N units.
If this scenario is true, and if your number is unimportant, go for it.

rated:
Alternately, you can use up the balance to make international calls.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   
surfcaster said:   
MrVietnam said:   
3c per minute of voice.
1c per text.

So what you're saying is if I don't mind losing my phone number AND 50% of my SIM balance, which would be for me a loss of around $77. No thanks.

If options are to continue to pay $25 every three months forever to build up a balance you will never use, or sell balance at over 1/2 price now and move to a cheaper plan (3 cents every 6 months mentioned earlier), it would be better to take the hit on the balance now.  OP said this was for emergency calls only so I presume that losing the number would be no big deal

rated:
For people who are in the same situation I am (having a large credit on an AT&T Go Phone account). Try calling customer service and tell them you use your phone for emergency calls only and they may extend your airtime by six months without you having to refill so you can further work down your money. I did that once.

EDIT: I just did what I said above again and this time the rep said if I put $10 more in my account he could give me an entire year of airtime so I could work the balance down. Usually you have to recharge with $100 to get a year of airtime. I still had a month of airtime on my last recharge, so I only ended up with 11 months of new airtime but that is an awesome deal for only $10 plus tax (In California I had to pay a $1.11 in tax for a $10 recharge. I usually buy my recharge cards discounted and with no tax on eBay. ) So hopefully in a year I can have my balance worked down quite a bit.

rated:
MrVietnam said:   I pay $8.33 a month with AT&T Go Phone (pre-paid) service. Each non-emergency call placed or received costs 10 cents.

With that said, I think if you have any cell phone (even without a plan) you can make free emergency 911 calls with it.

Depending on the frequencies used by a given customer's phone AT&T might not be a viable choice as of January 1st, 2017; T-Mobile & T-Mobile MVNOs (e.g. 'speedtalkmobile.com') should suffice for now, however...

PS:  Tello is ideal for BYOD CDMA service...

rated:
The Go Phone plan you have doesn't seem to be available any longer- Looks like the cheapest is 25 cents per call and in excess of $20 per month..............
I'm not sure of what's available right now with Tello and don't understand what BYOD CDMA service is..........
Thanks for your help

rated:
sugarsands said:   The Go Phone plan you have doesn't seem to be available any longer- Looks like the cheapest is 25 cents per call and in excess of $20 per month..............
I'm not sure of what's available right now with Tello and don't understand what BYOD CDMA service is..........
Thanks for your help

Sorry. I didn't realize AT&T did away with their 10 cent a minute call plan. You are right. It looks like now it is 25 cents a minute.

rated:
sugarsands said:   The Go Phone plan you have doesn't seem to be available any longer- Looks like the cheapest is 25 cents per call and in excess of $20 per month..............

T-Mobile had something ("Gold Rewards") which was ~$.10/min. for many years - though an initial $100 commitment was required (with subsequent annual commitments of at least $10); one resource for comparison would be 'http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm' (but it's due for an update).

sugarsands said:   I'm not sure of what's available right now with Tello and don't understand what BYOD CDMA service is..........

Tello is one of many mobile virtual network operators (MVNO) - MVNOs are kinda like resellers of service... but with some subtleties. Further, BYOD == "bring your own device" (i.e. service which is compatible with an unlocked device and/or network-compatible device) & CDMA == "code-division multiple access" (the network technology which undergirds 4G service and was previously identified with non-Nextel Sprint & Verizon networks).

sugarsands said:   Thanks for your help

FatWallet is a community so some expectation of the same is arguably rational... but keep in mind that time is money - so when people feel that the effort is its own reward they'll often look out for themselves first (often at the expense of the community's long-term interests & seemingly in opposition to those... universal... expectations).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017