• filter:

New appliances - first time home buyer

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Any ideas from FW community on best places to buy new home appliances. First time home buyer so we have to buy pretty much everything.

Budget - around 5 to 7K

1) Any advice on which brands are better? We are looking at Samsung, but are open to others
2) Looking at Bestbuy since their prices seem competitive. Also would like advise on if geek squad protection is worth it - we are planning on using extended warranty provided by credit cards and avoiding geek squad.
3) Any reputable online retailers where I can get the same stuff and save sales tax?

Not looking to do CL or other used sites since we want all appliances and would like for them to be from the same brand. 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
You are correct.
I was unclear.
Replacements are not a problem, even for GFIs. New installations do require professionals.... (more)

ocean935 (Jul. 03, 2017 @ 2:30a) |

I also need some help for another part of the new home process. For bath fittings, the builder has options and upgrades.... (more)

alokk (Jul. 20, 2017 @ 12:40p) |

If you pick a Faucet, pick something that's an 'old brand' like Moen or Price PFister. Both of those have spare parts a... (more)

forbin4040 (Jul. 20, 2017 @ 9:02p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Some pointers here (I am sure others will chip in later):

- loosely translated from another language: "expensive" cries once, "cheap" cries over and over. In other words, go with quality even if it costs a little more.
- most major appliances, if they are going to go bad, will go bad within the normal warranty periods. Instead of wasting money on extended warranties, spend it on better appliances. Or just save it.
- if you can't get everything within your budget, instead of going cheap, hold back on what you can and buy it later.
- stay away from "used". buy new only.
- forget about saving sales tax for 2 reasons: 1. it will mean the business has no presence in your state. a big no-no if anything goes wrong. 2. by law, you still have to pay tax. it is easier to get away with not paying it on smaller items, but the IRS can come knocking if you "unknowingly" avoid it on appliances.
- depending on the item, different manufacturers may have better products. even within the category, some models may be better than others. be more specific in your queries.
- Samsung, while generally a sound manufacturer, also falls under the above comment.
- consider using GCs as payment and losing CC protection if the savings are significant.
- consider buying a better appliance without unnecessary features as opposed to an inferior one with bells and whistles. examples: a washing machine with 3 cycles and 2 water levels is adequate for most people; a refrigerator without a water dispenser or ice maker breaks down less, offers more useful space, and costs less; an airconditioner without all those cool features works just as well...

rated:
Thank you ocean935.

We do realize that for example a dishwasher from GE might be great and a refrigerator from LG might be awesome. I am not sure how we feel about buying kitchen appliances from different manufacturer so wanted to know opinions on what is a good brand overall.
Also, it will be too tedious of a task to research different appliances.

Great point about spending money on quality appliances rather than extended warranty.

rated:
do people care that your frdige isn't the same mfg as the dishwasher? i think that is silly and locks you into going all in on one mfg when different mfg make better stuff.

rated:
It seems like Costco puts their kitchen suites on sale a few times a year. They are known for having good return/service policy and if you're an executive member and use the Costco Visa you'll get cash back. I'm not sure how they handle delivery and haul away of old appliances.

Consumer Reports is a good resource to research brands.

rated:
New appliances are more sensitive to surges than older appliances. Make sure you have surge protection before you go shopping because the warranty(ies) may be voided if none are installed. If your home was recently built then surge protection may already be installed at the circuit-breaker panel. You can buy plug-in surge protectors (might not be possible for tight spaces such as behind a refrigerator or a dishwasher) or replace existing outlets with ones that have built-in surge protection. It is fairly easy DIY project if you have basic skills; otherwise, hire an electrician. Surge protected outlets cost about $30 each.

rated:
kshell said:   New appliances are more sensitive to surges than older appliances. Make sure you have surge protection before you go shopping because the warranty(ies) may be voided if none are installed. If your home was recently built then surge protection may already be installed at the circuit-breaker panel. You can buy plug-in surge protectors (might not be possible for tight spaces such as behind a refrigerator or a dishwasher) or replace existing outlets with ones that have built-in surge protection. It is fairly easy DIY project if you have basic skills; otherwise, hire an electrician. Surge protected outlets cost about $30 each.

Not legal in most states.

rated:
miserly said:   do people care that your frdige isn't the same mfg as the dishwasher? i think that is silly and locks you into going all in on one mfg when different mfg make better stuff.
  Agree, I've got Bosch DW and gas range, KitchenAid fridge, LG microwave and Zypher range hood, all stainless steel.  Some people feel that the stainless steel looks differently for each manufacturer but you really can't tell unless you're looking it closely.   Bosch DW for reliability, Bosch range for its features, Zypher hood for its performance and style and KitchenAid fridge and LG micro due to the price/deal I got at the time I bought them.

rated:
I had a Bosch Fridge. Was great until it broke, and we found out that Bosch parts were hard to get.

rated:
miserly said:   do people care that your frdige isn't the same mfg as the dishwasher? i think that is silly and locks you into going all in on one mfg when different mfg make better stuff.
Actually, some do care.
They peg you either as a snob, or as a fool (well, at least clueless).

rated:
alokk said:   Any ideas from FW community on best places to buy new home appliances.

Try designerappliances.com

rated:
Thank you all. I researched some more and found that Costco is pretty much same to retailers like Bestbuy and offers free installation and extended warranty. Though they carry less/higher end appliances, it might be worth it to reduce the hassle.

rated:

rated:
ocean935 said:   https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1574636Not the "higher end appliances" the OP was looking for...

rated:
With a budget of $5K??

rated:
ocean935 said:   With a budget of $5K??
  We hope to get a good quality refrigerator, dishwasher, cooking range and microwave around 5 to 6 K and another 1500 or so on washer/dryer

rated:
ocean935 said:   
kshell said:   New appliances are more sensitive to surges than older appliances. Make sure you have surge protection before you go shopping because the warranty(ies) may be voided if none are installed. If your home was recently built then surge protection may already be installed at the circuit-breaker panel. You can buy plug-in surge protectors (might not be possible for tight spaces such as behind a refrigerator or a dishwasher) or replace existing outlets with ones that have built-in surge protection. It is fairly easy DIY project if you have basic skills; otherwise, hire an electrician. Surge protected outlets cost about $30 each.
  Not legal in most states.

The outlets are in sold big box stores in California. There is no ordnance or law that prohibits residents from installing them in their own home. What state are you living in that this is prohibited?.      

rated:
The prohibition is not for selling or buying. It is for DIY installation without a licensed electrician.

rated:
ocean935 said:   
Actually, some do care.
They peg you either as a snob, or as a fool (well, at least clueless).

No telling what they think of me. I have different colored fridge, washer and dryer with all being different manufacturers. Guess I'm a rebel.

rated:
Rebel certainly covers it.
Frugal. Smart. Aware. (if indeed, that was part of the selection process)
Cheap. Clueless. Apathetic. (if that was not)

rated:
ocean935 said:   The prohibition is not for selling or buying. It is for DIY installation without a licensed electrician.
 The replacement of an outlet does not require a permit per this link, http://www.weknowcodes.com/residential/do-i-need-a-permit.php , or this one, http://www.sccoplanning.com/PlanningHome/BuildingSafety/Frequent... . Adding a surge protector to an electrical panel might be better left to a pro. (A permit may still not be required for this is it only involves replacement, not new installation.)  Can't find the link but homeowners are allowed to replace outlets per the National Electrical Code. As far as I am aware, most states and local entities adjust their laws and ordinances to conform with the NEC.

rated:
You are correct.
I was unclear.
Replacements are not a problem, even for GFIs. New installations do require professionals.

*My original comment was in response to this:

"You can buy plug-in surge protectors (might not be possible for tight spaces such as behind a refrigerator or a dishwasher) or replace existing outlets with ones that have built-in surge protection"

rated:
I also need some help for another part of the new home process. For bath fittings, the builder has options and upgrades. But we found that it is a lot cheaper if we provide the bath fittings ourselves. I see websites like faucetsdirect, build, efaucets etc. Anyone have experience with them?

I also dont know if us providing the faucets is a good idea. Fingers crossed.

rated:
If you pick a Faucet, pick something that's an 'old brand' like Moen or Price PFister. Both of those have spare parts available everywhere. If you pick some off brand, be ready to throw that fixture away because you can't find parts.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017