• filter:

Staples Rewards Changes Effective 7/1 (not for the better)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Just received confirmation effective 7/1- free shipping for all levels of rewards members is 49.99. Also received confirmation, rewards will only be accumulated in store. Verified via chat, but here's the list of "new benefits" from my premier account 

per Jason8930 in the OD Deal Discussion Rewards post  (I have not personally verified this - Mistercheap)

As a Staples Premier Rewards® member, your benefits include:

5% back in rewards in store (excludes postage, phone/gift cards and savings passes)
Free next-day delivery on orders over $49.99 (placed by 5pm local time on Staples. com, excludes weekends and holidays, oversize items)
$2 back in rewards for each ink or toner cartridge you recycle (up to 20 per month). Minimum purchase requirements must be met.
$25 off Print & Marketing Services in store each year.
$20 off Tech Services in store each year.
Exclusive Premier Bonus events throughout the year 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
If I had wanted a "non answer" answer I could have contacted the Staples Help Line.  At least I would have learned the c... (more)

NoFixedAddress (Jul. 22, 2017 @ 6:15p) |

Your "doubt" is 100% wrong. Your answer is already in both THIS thread and the thread that Stolat pointed you to.

3c3 (Jul. 23, 2017 @ 3:33a) |

There must be at least one Staples apologist who can offer something more than a "non answer" answer.

Perhaps the unspoke... (more)

NoFixedAddress (Jul. 23, 2017 @ 8:40a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Thanks MC. Guess I'll be using Amaz0n a lot more than $taples now, $50 minimum for free shipping AND no rewards accumulation for online purchases? WTF. Shooting themselves in the foot big time.

At least they still have recycling benefits, lose those and its back to Costco and Amaz0n for the rest of my necessities.

rated:
Does this mean Rewards will be gone soon?

Staples to Sell for $6.9 Billion...

rated:
Was just about to purchase some ink to do ink recycling again. Glad they didn't change the recycling program. Time to offload again before the sale.

rated:
rsuaver said:   Was just about to purchase some ink to do ink recycling again. Glad they didn't change the recycling program. Time to offload again before the sale.
  That thud you heard may have been the supply of empty ink cartridges crashing through another price floor.

rated:
If you get a Staples More Account(Staples credit card) you get 5% back for both in-store and online purchases. Not sure if you have to be Premier as well but signing up for the card used to get you premier status right away. Not sure that still holds.

rated:
Beginning of the end of real rewards from Staples. They closed the store in our town. I use to be there once a week. Now once a quarter.

rated:
To any Staples executive monitoring this thread: How many Staples Rewards members are there? How many of those members are active online and/or in-store customers. I and perhaps others believe the Rewards rules changes will discourage those members from remaining Staples customers.

rated:
the free ship for members have gone from $0 to $14.99 to $49.99. what a joke that is. 

I hope the free ship to store at any amount will continue, but  the days of doing tp/paper towel deals and having it shipped to our homes is over unless you buy a huge amount of stuff.

rated:
I am just below premiere by $105.00 and will bite the bullet in the next day or two get to Premiere. As an example, Purchase date is July 5, 2017. When could I expect an upgrade to Premiere?

I know the Premiere status disappears on the one-year anniversary of attaining  that level.

rated:
Stolat said:   I am just below premiere by $105.00 and will bite the bullet in the next day or two get to Premiere. As an example, Purchase date is July 5, 2017. When could I expect an upgrade to Premiere?

I know the Premiere status disappears on the one-year anniversary of attaining  that level.

should update within 72 hours.   

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   
Stolat said:   I am just below premiere by $105.00 and will bite the bullet in the next day or two get to Premiere. As an example, Purchase date is July 5, 2017. When could I expect an upgrade to Premiere?

should update within 72 hours.   I don't believe the Premier level is on a strict rolling 12 months, if you attain it now in July 2017, it will be valid to 12/31/18. it is for the remainder of the year you earn it and the full calendar year the subsequent year.

That is not what the current terms say. It may work that way in practice if one keeps making premier every year but the terms no longer say that and have not for some time IIRC. "A member retains Premier status for the 12 months following the time of upgrade. Retention of Premier status is subject to the same eligibility requirements as upgrades."

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:   

should update within 72 hours.   I don't believe the Premier level is on a strict rolling 12 months, if you attain it now in July 2017, it will be valid to 12/31/18. it is for the remainder of the year you earn it and the full calendar year the subsequent year.

I was recently booted from premier at the 12 month anniversary of earning it, not the end of the calendar year as I was expecting. I called in a couple times to contest, but all the reps said the rules had changed.

rated:
LiquidSilver said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:   

I was recently booted from premier at the 12 month anniversary of earning it, not the end of the calendar year as I was expecting. I called in a couple times to contest, but all the reps said the rules had changed.

okay, thanks for the information, wasn't aware it changed. 

rated:
According to the website there is a $0-$499 level and a $1000+ level. So what is the $499.01-$999.99 level? Also Gold & Platinum are gone.

rated:
It's sort of funny as I've never used the Print & Marketing Services. Yet my acct shows: As of Date 7/2/2017, you have $0 remaining in Print & Marketing Savings.

rated:
AniGrumpy said:   According to the website there is a $0-$499 level and a $1000+ level. So what is the $499.01-$999.99 level? Also Gold & Platinum are gone.
I see Base (up to $999) and Premier ($1000+).

http://rewards.staples.com/SRC/Benefits.do  (Signed in shows the above, not signed in shows Base up to $499).

rated:
The quirky thing is the Business Plus account which cost $49 for the first year (and $59 thereafter.)

So, instead of playing with the spend of $1000 (and figuring out what to do with all that paper), you can just spend $49, and double your ink recycling. $240 for a $49 investment, net of $191. (Supposedly $100 of free copy/print and tech services, total, but its hard to calculate a value for something you don't use.)

Select is $79, Premium is $299? No risk, money back guarantee....

Anyone want to place odds on the longevity of this brick and mortar?

rated:
It seems shipping has been rolled back to the $14.99 threshold. All my emails today stated $14.99 on the bottom and when I tested it, it was correct.

ORDER SUMMARY
Items (1): $16.19
Add Coupons: --
Subtotal: $16.19
Shipping: FREE
Pre-Tax Subtotal: $16.19

rated:
So I was a plus member before. Does it mean I can only do 10 ink recycling reward per month now? I am still seeing this on the ink reward page.

"As of 7/5/2017 we show you are eligible to earn ink recycling rewards:$2 back in rewards per recycled catridge up to 10 per calender month (20 per month for Plus and Premier Members.) "

rated:
Our personal account including Rewards has been taken down for needed maintenance. We shall see if all anomalies stated here have been addressed.

rated:
unnamedone said:   So I was a plus member before. Does it mean I can only do 10 ink recycling reward per month now? I am still seeing this on the ink reward page.

"As of 7/5/2017 we show you are eligible to earn ink recycling rewards:$2 back in rewards per recycled catridge up to 10 per calender month (20 per month for Plus and Premier Members.) "

Not sure.  Mine still says 20 carts per month (I was Plus) but all other benfits of plus are gone, to include my $25 in printing coupon I had).  An hour on the phone did NOTHING to get the $25 returned to me.  I will go to my local store and ask them... and ALSO look for a copy of the coupon I MAY HAVE printed prior to the change.

Bastids on chat and even the rewards Manager that called me said sorry about the changes, no can do.... I told them they just lost a 10+ year rewards customer!

rated:
My Rewards account was started in 2017. I was up to $580 in spending by the end of May. My recycling limit was upped to 20 for June - I received $40 for ink recycling rewards on July 13th.

Now this week I see my ink recycling limit is rolled back to 10 and my rewards percentage is back to 2% (it was 3%). So much for an improved Rewards program. 

I find it odd they would roll back my rewards status back to the base level after getting past $500 in spending for the year.

All told I believe the "Staples ship is a sinking".

rated:
NoFixedAddress said:   My Rewards account was started in 2017. I was up to $580 in spending by the end of May. My recycling limit was upped to 20 for June - I received $40 for ink recycling rewards on July 13th.

Now this week I see my ink recycling limit is rolled back to 10 and my rewards percentage is back to 2% (it was 3%). So much for an improved Rewards program. 

I find it odd they would roll back my rewards status back to the base level after getting past $500 in spending for the year.

All told I believe the "Staples ship is a sinking".

We are sympathetic to your situation as the Company adjusts to its new ownership and the need to survive.   I hope you reviewed the posts to this thread that began on June 28th.

The thread, "Staples Rewards for Beginners" has a wealth of information; it is located at https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1157891

rated:
Stolat said:   
NoFixedAddress said:   My Rewards account was started in 2017. I was up to $580 in spending by the end of May. My recycling limit was upped to 20 for June - I received $40 for ink recycling rewards on July 13th.

All told I believe the "Staples ship is a sinking".

We are sympathetic to your situation as the Company adjusts to its new ownership and the need to survive.   I hope you reviewed the posts to this thread that began on June 28th.

The thread, "Staples Rewards for Beginners" has a wealth of information; it is located at https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1157891

If I had wanted a "non answer" answer I could have contacted the Staples Help Line.  At least I would have learned the current weather in Bangalore.

FFIW, I doubt that "Rewards for Beginners" covers the topic of Staples upping the requirements for the 3% Rewards/20 recycling limit after I legitimately met the requirements under the established rules.

rated:
NoFixedAddress said:   If I had wanted a "non answer" answer I could have contacted the Staples Help Line.  At least I would have learned the current weather in Bangalore.

FFIW, I doubt that "Rewards for Beginners" covers the topic of Staples upping the requirements for the 3% Rewards/20 recycling limit after I legitimately met the requirements under the established rules.

Your "doubt" is 100% wrong. Your answer is already in both THIS thread and the thread that Stolat pointed you to.

rated:
3c3 said:   
NoFixedAddress said:   If I had wanted a "non answer" answer I could have contacted the Staples Help Line.  At least I would have learned the current weather in Bangalore.

FFIW, I doubt that "Rewards for Beginners" covers the topic of Staples upping the requirements for the 3% Rewards/20 recycling limit after I legitimately met the requirements under the established rules.

There must be at least one Staples apologist who can offer something more than a "non answer" answer.

Perhaps the unspoken response is that a Rewards Member can meet the requirement for recycling 20 cartridges by spending $580 in 5 months, actually recycle 20 under the rules in June and find oneself relegated to base level in July.  Sounds like classic bait and switch or desperation, or both.  They be circling the Chapter 11 drain.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017