• filter:

Canada: CRTC puts an end to locked cellphones and unlocking fees

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/new...
CRTC said: The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) today announced that as of December 1, 2017, all individual and small business wireless service customers will have the right to have their cellphones and other mobile devices unlocked free of charge upon request. In addition, all newly purchased devices must be provided unlocked from that day forward.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Well its a free world now. This is good news!

rated:
investorcommunity said:   Well its a free world now. This is good news!
  Maybe Canada will be free, but unfortunately not the U.S.  Except for T-Mobile, all still locked.

rated:
canusa said:   
investorcommunity said:   Well its a free world now. This is good news!
  Maybe Canada will be free, but unfortunately not the U.S.  Except for T-Mobile, all still locked.

TM devices are sold locked and can only be unlocked after a certain time. Verizon claims postpaid devices are sold unlocked. Canadian rule sounds like the device can't be sold locked the way TM is doing things.

rated:
Their government looks out for consumers...ours could care less.

rated:
misterphillip said:   Their government looks out for consumers...ours could care less.
  A government for the people, by the people.

Has it occurred to you that these people voted for politicians that put corporate interests first.  WHat I meant to say is, politicians that value freedome and liberty, of course!  As in freedom and liberty to screw the consumer over. 

rated:
Verizon's are sold unlocked, but can't be activated on a Verizon sub unless approved.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Verizon's are sold unlocked, but can't be activated on a Verizon sub unless approved.

I've used a couple of Verizon iPhone 5s on RingPlus and Ting (both Sprint MVNO) and then I moved them to FreedomPop, one with a Sprint SIM and the other with an AT&T SIM.

rated:
rsuaver said:   
forbin4040 said:   Verizon's are sold unlocked, but can't be activated on a Verizon sub unless approved.

I've used a couple of Verizon iPhone 5s on RingPlus and Ting (both Sprint MVNO) and then I moved them to FreedomPop, one with a Sprint SIM and the other with an AT&T SIM.

Exactly.  Those aren't Verizon MVNO's

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017