• filter:

HP Z220 Quad Core i7-3770 @$380 or HP Z400 Xeon Quad-Core W3565 @$260?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
which one is a better deal? (not better computer, better DEAL

HP Z400 Workstation - Xeon Quad-Core W3565 3.2GHz - 8GB Ram - 1 TB Hard Drive - DVD/RW Drive - NVS 290 Video Card - Windows 10 Pro - $260 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5YV5HN3623&...

OR

HP Z220 Tower - Intel Core Quad Core i7-3770 3.4GHz - 8GB RAM - 1TB HD - DVD/RW - Windows 10 Pro - $379 - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5YV5HN2763

thanks in advance!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
That's like asking "what's the better vehicle: a truck or a car?"

Without knowing what apps you need to run, there's no good answer to your question.

rated:
#2 is twice as powerful as #1

rated:
canoeguy1 said:   That's like asking "what's the better vehicle: a truck or a car?"

Without knowing what apps you need to run, there's no good answer to your question.

that's why i just wanted to know for the given price vs. specs, which one of the two is a better deal. the lower priced one (@$260) is sufficient for my needs, but if the quad core i7 (@$380) is priced better for the given specs, i don't mind spending the extra $120 to have some extra horsepower on hand.

rated:
anandesque said:   
canoeguy1 said:   That's like asking "what's the better vehicle: a truck or a car?"

that's why i just wanted to know for the given price vs. specs, which one of the two is a better deal. the lower priced one (@$260) is sufficient for my needs, but if the quad core i7 (@$380) is priced better for the given specs, i don't mind spending the extra $120 to have some extra horsepower on hand.

A truck has more horsepower than a car. However, unless you're hauling heavy weight, that horsepower is completely wasted, regardless of price.

Same with a computer. Unless you have apps that can make use of hyperthreading, why buy an i7? Basic home-use apps won't run one microsecond faster with an i7 instead of an i5, since they're not designed to make use of the i7's capabilities.. All that "horsepower" is wasted.
If all you're doing is surfing the net, a 5 year old i3 machine for $100 off eBay will run just as fast.

You need to know the apps you'll be using it for before you decide on the computer you need.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017