• filter:

Voltage Converter / Transformer

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I'm moving overseas and need to get a transformer for a couple appliances that are too expensive to repurchase (mainly a TV and an automatic espresso machine).  Does anyone have any experience purchasing these things?  I found a few websites online (Voltage Superstore / 200 Electronics) but I have no idea if the products are any good.  I read the reviews of a few of these from Amazon and they're pretty scary.  I can't really find much information at all about the various manufacturers.  My guess is they buy parts from industrial suppliers to assemble these things.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Lots of backwater Asian countries not only have weird unstable voltages and phases, their power is not properly grounded... (more)

TowHead (Jul. 15, 2017 @ 12:58a) |

Dupe

TowHead (Jul. 15, 2017 @ 12:59a) |

Dupe

TowHead (Jul. 15, 2017 @ 12:59a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
i don't know where you are moving to, but 110-220V step-up transformers (which is what you need) should easily available locally. couple it with a good quality voltage stabilizer and you are good to go. get a large enough one and run a separate wiring circuit (again, a local electrical handyman should be able to do this fairly easily) and you should be able to power all your appliances from this one transformer setup.

i can give you a more technical explanation (PM me), but this is not only the cheapest way to do it, it is also a better way than buying separate transformers from Amazon or eBay or wherever else.

rated:
Is a TV really worth it?, a 55" 4K goes for $350 new, What are they going for in Germany etc?
Or is the Pentagon (eg tax payers) paying for the transport?

Thanks to nearly all devices now a days using a switching-type ac-adapter, they work on any world voltage.

With euro plug (but not all of Europe) 200watt
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOREIGN-ELECTRICITY-240V-TO-120V-200W-TRAVEL-CONVERTER-STEPDOWN-VOLTAGE-/191510504209

With euro plug 500watt
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-500-Watt-Voltage-Transformer-Converter-Step-Up-or-Down-110V-220V-NEW/232345684228

But if you also need to also change hz, ac-dc-ac is the only way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dgO0HdPMds&t=351s

Moderator Comment: Edited to clean link. — Jul. 2, 2017 @ 11:35am
rated:
anandesque said:   i don't know where you are moving to, but 110-220V step-up transformers (which is what you need) should easily available locally. couple it with a good quality voltage stabilizer and you are good to go. get a large enough one and run a separate wiring circuit (again, a local electrical handyman should be able to do this fairly easily) and you should be able to power all your appliances from this one transformer setup.

i can give you a more technical explanation (PM me), but this is not only the cheapest way to do it, it is also a better way than buying separate transformers from Amazon or eBay or wherever else.

OP needs a STEP-DOWN transformer from the overseas 220V down to his appliances that run on 110/120V.  that said, step-down and step-up transformers are the same; just reverse the input/output.

rated:
Thanks for the replies. This is company relocation so they'll pay for all the transportation. Still most things we'll just repurchase there but the TV is expensive enough where it makes sense to just buy a transformer. The same thing with the espresso machine.

Yes I need a step down transformer. Moving from the US to Thailand.

rated:
The TV is probably doable (assuming is a high-end LED device with modest power draw). You might run into issues with over-the-air reception and maybe some legacy PAL/NTSC if you do older equipment, but should be fine in this day and age.

I'd question if the power draw of the espresso machine would overload your run-of-the-mill transformers. Like hair dryers and other heat producing devices, they can wreck transformers and it is HIGHLY recommended to buy local or otherwise built for local voltage devices. I'm not intimately familiar with espresso machines, but worth carefully checking its power requirements to what a transformer can output.

rated:
you're right, i meant step DOWN. thanks for the correction.

rated:
The espresso machine is 1500 watt so I would get a 3000 watt transformer. My main concern though is still these transformers I'm finding online don't come from any recognizable company. For example this one on Amazon seems to have decent reviews but I can't even find this product on any company's page. I have no idea if the company that makes it is at all reputable.

rated:
Hi buy ACupwr products, they are made here in USA, Newyork, don't buy Chinese products, these have a guarantee of a life time warranty. They are sold on Amazon or directly from there website or go to the website and call them, they will give you the converter you need depending on which country you are going, BUT they are very expensive more than any other converters in USA, you will never go wrong with them, I have bought 2 from them to use in Africa. Don't buy Chinese please, that says use double of the watts of the appliance you have, the other ones are different, just buy the exact watts for your appliance. I don't work for them , I am just a customer.you won't regret

rated:
Only other note is I noticed Thailand runs at 50 hertz...U.S. standard is 60. If your machine is using the frequency for timing (e.g. cycle time) or if it has a motor (that isn't universal), then that's another fun little thing to run into. Likely no fires, just excess heat and wear on the machine plus some weird timing results.

rated:
Many electronics today have universal power supplies and can accept 110-220. If this is the case, you only need a plug adapter.

rated:
I'm going to move to Brazil and plan on supplying my 110v-120v appliances with a Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Solar and Wind power and then a 12v charger when there is no wind or solar available.

rated:
As somebody who has tried to use 110v 60hz to 220v 50hz adapters. You will fry your product. simple things like answering machine dies faster. I would just go there and buy it.

rated:
This really doesn't seem worth it. Double check your TV, it is possible that the power supply autosenses voltage/frequency. As for the coffee maker, if it is so expensive to make it worth trying to convert the voltage, then it also isn't worth the risk of blowing it up.

Honestly, if this is a temporary move, (as in less than 3 years) sell the items/loan to friends or family, and buy cheaper items while you're there.

rated:
I wouldn't recommend it for the TV, especially. I spend many years in the Army and watched people time and again try to justify taking expensive televisions overseas. Items like razors, small appliances, etc. are usually fine on a small portable unit. I wish I could begin to count how many people bought transformers, only to fry their expensive electronics. I've heard every story in the book about buying "quality" transformers and how it's worth spending the extra money, only to have co-workers come in to work crying about their high-end TV blowing up after spending hundreds on a transformer and adapters. If the TV isn't rated for 220 already, sell it here and buy a new one when you get there.

rated:
jarfykk said:   Only other note is I noticed Thailand runs at 50 hertz...U.S. standard is 60. If your machine is using the frequency for timing (e.g. cycle time) or if it has a motor (that isn't universal), then that's another fun little thing to run into. Likely no fires, just excess heat and wear on the machine plus some weird timing results.

This. I suspect the TV will flicker like crazy, or not work at all.

I have been using a couple of step up transformers for some expensive hi-fi equipment for ~20 years. They haven't failed yet

rated:
You can find a transformer based power supply to convert 230V to 110V and also from 50Hz to 60Hz.
These are rather heavy, a 500 or 1000W could easily be 50Lbs or more.
The transformers, the heavier they are the better they are.

A really good one you will find it very expensive here in US, upwards of $300 (ones that can switch Hz, voltage and have stabilizer).
Most asian countries the voltage does go up and down, that can also fry your TVs.

One you reach there you can readily find or get a custom made one for much lesser than $300.
I had done a similar thing for use in India.
They made an industrial grade power supply for <$120, and I was able to use a 1200W Microwaver also on it.
Neither the Microwaver nor the powersupply died after 10+ years of use.

rated:
I moved to the UK about 3 years ago from NY. I bought several from Litefuze as well as some travel adapters.

Products listed below from Amazon...

http://www.litefuze.com/products/converting-box/

LiteFuze LC-300US 300Watt Step Up/Down Travel Voltage Converter, US Cord

LiteFuze cube 500 watt 110V - 220V Automatic Compact Voltage Transformer with Dual USB Input for iPhone, iPod, & Cellphone Chargers

LiteFuze convertingbox 3000 Watt Auto Voltage Converter Transformer - Light Weight - Step Up/Down - Circuit Breaker - Detachable Cord (Blue)

Tmvel TMV-UK-6PK Grounded Universal Plug Adapter for UK United Kingdom (Type G) - 6 Pack

That being said. In hindsight I'd sell everything and buy new when you get here. Don't think it's worth the hassle in the long-run....

Products work well for juicer, blender, lamps, radio, erc. The travel adapters are great. Anything you have that has a 'box' as part of your power cord can probably support 110-220v. Read the fine-print on the device. If it does, just get the cheap travel adapters and buy new!

Hope this helps! Best of luck...

rated:
My husband and I currently live in the UK with his job. We have a 3000 and 5000 watt step-down transformer that runs all of our 110V appliances and have never had a problem. Our last tour in the UK, 2010-2013, we ran an American 110V fridge for three years on a transformer with no issues. We also have a Sony 50 inch TV we run off a transformer and use an HDMI cable from the cable(Sky TV)box with no issues. It was plug and play and it is an HD picture. The rule of thumb is, you need a transformer that is double what the appliance is, ie 1500 watt appliance you need a 3000 watt transformer. They are a little cumbersome, but you can still use your 110V items if you like.

rated:
purrdy3us said:   My husband and I currently live in the UK with his job. We have a 3000 and 5000 watt step-down transformer that runs all of our 110V appliances and have never had a problem. Our last tour in the UK, 2010-2013, we ran an American 110V fridge for three years on a transformer with no issues. We also have a Sony 50 inch TV we run off a transformer and use an HDMI cable from the cable(Sky TV)box with no issues. It was plug and play and it is an HD picture. The rule of thumb is, you need a transformer that is double what the appliance is, ie 1500 watt appliance you need a 3000 watt transformer. They are a little cumbersome, but you can still use your 110V items if you like.

Would you let me know what brand you have?

I think I'm leaning towards what the other people on the forum have said and just buy a new TV there.

rated:
Buying things in Asian countries is generally cheaper than buying them in Europe.
You might want to price it up.
Also there is a lot of negotiation that happens especially in Thailand and China, so price you see is typically not the price you pay.

rated:
Both our transformers are Lite-Fuze, 3000 and 5000 watt.  Our TV is a Sony and as long as it's HD and you run it from a cable box in the country you are in, you should not have any issues.  Ours is doing fine with the SkyTV box and has been for the last two years.

rated:
Lots of backwater Asian countries not only have weird unstable voltages and phases, their power is not properly grounded. So it's advised in a heavy downpour one stays the hell off the ground especially out of puddles!! Many have died if electrocution.

rated:
Dupe

rated:
Dupe

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017