• filter:

Collapsing ceilings and no working toilets: Sears workers describe decay in failing stores

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Let the fire sales begin. Although I'll miss their rewards program.

Aren't some of their brands sold off already?? Hope Kenmore etc. are bought up and warranties honored.

rated:
Are Sears Tire Centers part of Sears, or franchises, or something else? Will they survive? I've bought tires and batteries from them for decades, knowing I could get warranty service anywhere in the country.

rated:
wonder why anybody would still be working there?

rated:
Sad.

rated:
owenscott said:   wonder why anybody would still be working there?
  The devil we know mentality?

rated:
It is sad. It would be OK if it were always a crappy store, but Sears used to be great. Many good memories of shopping there, and picking out stuff in their catalogs before Christmas.

rated:
Slickone said:   It is sad. It would be OK if it were always a crappy store, but Sears used to be great. Many good memories of shopping there, and picking out stuff in their catalogs before Christmas.
Kmart has definitely contributed to the downfall of Sears. One thing that I specifically remember about the pre-Kmart Sears is that they sold merchandise that was of a higher quality and bigger name brands than a discount store, and the stores were very well-kept and clean. The electronics department, for example, sold Apple products for a brief period in the early 2000s, which at that time, was part of an exclusive agreement that Apple had to only sell their products at Sears and CompUSA. There was even a brief time in there where they were selling a technology brand that was on the rise that Best Buy, the leading electronics store, wasn't even authorized to sell. The Craftsman tools were good quality, but if you wanted a name brand, they had those too, and some of the better quality ones in those brands. Aside from Levi's (which is oddly still sold even in Sears now in their darkest of dark days), I remember the clothing that they sold in the stores was the type of stuff you'd wear, even if it wasn't name brand... though they did have some name brands in clothing. The shoe department was fairly complete on brands for athletic shoes, as you could buy Nike
, Adidas, and other leading name brands.

You can go online and document when these brands started pulling out, a lot of them ended up getting news coverage when it happened. Apple pulled out a little before the merger, but I remember Nike
, specifically, pulled out almost right after Sears announced they were going to do the Sears Essentials stores inside of the renovated Kmart stores and cited that as their reason, that they believed Sears would start stocking Nike
products on Kmart shelves and damage the brand. I'll admit, we got one of the Sears Essentials stores in my area (it ultimately reverted to Kmart and has since been closed, demolished, and replaced with a Kroger Marketplace), I actually thought it was a nice store and had potential, but more than anything it was just a nicely renovated Kmart. And if you look at Sears and Kmart now, you can clearly see that a lot (not all) of their merchandise selection has sort of morphed into the same products, although there sometimes seems to be a "Sears premium price" on the stuff at Sears. If that's not bad enough, Kmart of 2017 is not the Kmart of the 90s, back in those days Kmart was competing more with the likes of Target and Walmart and was trying to be a quality discount retailer. It seems now that Kmart is in the league of something like Dollar General, Roses, or Woolworths (well, at least before they went down for good 20 years ago) in the quality of products that they're selling.

rated:
Buckmann said:   Are Sears Tire Centers part of Sears, or franchises, or something else? Will they survive? I've bought tires and batteries from them for decades, knowing I could get warranty service anywhere in the country.
  They're part of Sears, but there has always been talk of Sears spinning off the auto centers into their own company. There doesn't seem to be a correlation between how well an auto center does versus a store for some reason. Lately, there have been numerous recent Sears stores that have closed, but they've kept the auto center open as a standalone business because they actually do good business. For example, the Sears auto center that I go to for all of my oil changes and tires does pretty steady business, and it's hard to get an appointment in there unless you go in the middle of the week in the morning. But the store that it is inside of (which itself is inside of a otherwise very busy mall) does terrible business, sometimes you'll drive around the mall and not find a single parking spot, until you get to the Sears at the back of the mall and find a wide open parking lot with maybe one car in it. Meanwhile, two other Sears stores near me (both are inside of malls that aren't particularly busy, but still probably aren't quite "dying malls" just yet) do respectable business (by Sears standards), you'll usually find a couple dozen cars in the parking lot for each of them. But for both of those stores, the auto centers weren't doing well and ended up getting shut down, one of them about a month ago and the other a few years ago.

rated:
i had to actually stop shop-lifting there,,i had a hard time finding anything worth taking..

rated:
wizardking said:   

Sears employees get a defined-benefit pension plan. A real pension plan based on years of service and pay is extremely rare for retail. Their health insurance isn't bad either when you compare it to the mini-med plans (which aren't even real health insurance with caps of $25,000 lifetime) that employees of Staples or just about any other retailer receive.

I'd stay and go down with the ship if I was getting a pension that will more than likely be offloaded to the PBGC. It's underfunded at the moment, but no less risky than say, an Illinois state employee pension plan.

rated:
Sears had good deals on their tv and appliances, and their rewards program was the best out of the retailers. Too bad they didnt modernize their stores. We only have Bestbuy now

rated:
ctujackbauer said:   
wizardking said:   

Sears employees get a defined-benefit pension plan. A real pension plan based on years of service and pay is extremely rare for retail. Their health insurance isn't bad either when you compare it to the mini-med plans (which aren't even real health insurance with caps of $25,000 lifetime) that employees of Staples or just about any other retailer receive.

I'd stay and go down with the ship if I was getting a pension that will more than likely be offloaded to the PBGC. It's underfunded at the moment, but no less risky than say, an Illinois state employee pension plan.

I'm sure Eddie will raid the plans somehow...

rated:
I bought a few tvs and electronics from Sears, they would match the price of others, but insist you buy the Sears warranty. Since their warranty was about double that of Best Buy at the time, they would lower the tv price, to make the warranty seem to match Best Buys warranty. They. could not discount the warranty.

I then would get the free delivery, and march back into the store to cash in the ext warranty. That would lower my tv price by another nearly $300. This was in about 1999 to 2004.

They also had poor delivery handling, I had 3 appliances delivered at different time, all 3 had scratches or dings. Delivery would get on the phone to cs, and I would talk to them, and keep the product if I got a partial refund, They would make an offer, and I would refuse, playing up the risk of hidden damage, and all 3 times I got about 15% back, rather than have them haul it back and bring another one. a scratch on a freezer, or fridge covered by the wall is no big deal, but It shouldn't happen to a brand new item.

The tv sales people must have been paid commission, since they were real eager to sell stuff, even if it was at a loss. No wonder they couldn't keep up.

rated:
Speaking of poor delivery handling, they messed up my washer delivery date and I got it for free! well lost my SYW points but got $425 back.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017