• filter:

Discount printer ink - do you buy and where?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
So I'm just curious who buys discount/knock-off ink refills for their printers?

I had an Epson Workforce 600 printer I have owned for almost 10 years that finally bit the dust.
I have been filling it with knock-off ink from InkWOW almost the whole time.  Exception probably when I had to buy ink @Staples to keep my rewards coming.

From what little I could find online they don't have very good reviews but most of those were from shoddy customer service.  I did have one dispute with them where I got a bum cartridge (the printer wouldn't recognize it), but they did replace it without too much hassle from my end.

I'm most concerned about the quality of ink from places like these.  For the most part I think the ink has been ok.  It doesn't have as high as a yield as the name brand, but it does state this on the website.  

I have had issues with my last two printers needing to do nozzle cleanings when I needed to print with color - but I don't think this is from the discount ink.  I rarely use color, so I think it probably clogs/dries in the nozzle and a head cleaning is required in order to flush it to use.  I'm pretty sure I had this issue with OEM ink too.

I guess the way I look at it is - I paid $100 for a new printer.  Ink is either going to cost me $15 or $7 a cart.  That means either $60 or $28 every time I fill it.
Even if the knock-off ink cuts the life of my printer in half, as long as I replace my ink 5-6 times I will have saved more than a new printer would even cost.

thoughts?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Costco refills ink now as well..and they have the best Customer Service.

But on the otherhand, get rid of Ink! Go Laser!

rated:
Go with laser --- the cartridges last much longer and they are easily refilled or replaced with generics.

$34 for color cartridges

or

$12 for black (and white).

rated:
I research the printer 1st. See how others report it handling generic ink. Now I have a Epson XP-520. And 5 packs are <$7 on eBay & work great.

rated:
zapjb said:   I research the printer 1st. See how others report it handling generic ink. Now I have a Epson XP-520. And 5 packs are <$7 on eBay & work great.
  I do similar and also look into operating under Linux.  I have two Brother printers both Ink Jet and laser.  Both accept generic ink/toner (generally from eBay ) and so far I've not had an issue with either.

rated:
get a brother laser printer

rated:
i 2nd the brother laser printer. Amazon for ink, generics work great in brother printers.

rated:
If you rarely print color I'd definitely go with a Laser printer. Cheaper cost per page. No problems with things drying out/clogging and the cost has come down enough that inkjets really aren't much cheaper. I ended up with a brother multi-function printer/scanner primarily because the toner cartridges are so common and inexpensive. They are also easy to refill if you want to do that.

The Dell printer on sale at Staples is a Brother with a slightly different gear on the toner cart to make standard brother toner carts not work but you can swap the gear and use the more common and cheaper brother carts too.
https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1575199

rated:
Color laser is still upwards of $300. I have an older Workforce. At the time, I sold the included ink and made back the money spent on the printer. Since then I've used generics bought at Amazon. Last batch is now showing as "not compatible" but still lets me print.

rated:
I only recommend Brother laser printers. Been using them for a long time and IMHO best ones out there.

rated:
rsuaver said:   Color laser is still upwards of $300. I have an older Workforce. At the time, I sold the included ink and made back the money spent on the printer. Since then I've used generics bought at Amazon. Last batch is now showing as "not compatible" but still lets me print.
  I picked up a Dell E525W for $120.  So $300?  Nah.  Toners run $35 for a pack

rated:
Megatoners works for me.

rated:
Been using them for years = prompt, reliable AND affordable

InkTechnologies.com
Ink Technologies, LLC
7600 McEwen Road
Centerville, OH 45459
Call Toll-Free: 866-313-2879
Outside USA: 937-630-3083
M-F: 8 am - 6 pm EST
Order Online 24 - 7

rated:
For inkjets, I just go to Amazon or eBay, put in the model number of the printer, search the listings, and buy what seems the best deal I'm willing to pay for.
There's always a risk, I suppose, that you'll get crap ink that'll magnafloozle your printer -- but I've always been fortunate.

rated:
Fry's Electronics has been putting almost all of their name-brand OEM ink on their promo says for the last 6 months, usually 30% off and sometimes more. This is what I've done for the last two instances when I needed ink for my Epson.

rated:
eBay for cheap toner carts for Samsung laser printer.

rated:
If you refill yourself, I've been happy with precisioncolors.com.

For my B&W laser printer, I've had such bad luck with remanufactured toner cartridges that I went back to OEM. It's really not that expensive and the quality difference is huge.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017