• filter:

HELP WITH BUYING A 14 KARAT SOLID GOLD ENGAGEMENT RING WITH A ZIRCONIA DIAMOND MY GIRL FRIEND CAME UP WITH THE IDEA

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
i am thinking of buying a 14 k solid gold ring and then buying a cubic zirconia stone about 1 and a half to 2 carat stone and have jeweler apply the stone to the ring , has anyone ever done this ? any help would be appreciated , best places to buy or find these separate services to come out with the best deal or if there is a better way to do this please let me know , thanks in advance 

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
thanks ocean for the PRODUCTIVE TRULY HELPFUL THOUGHT most just silly , sarcastic comments  green for you

yourbiggestfan (Jul. 06, 2017 @ 9:22p) |

thanks ocean for the PRODUCTIVE TRULY HELPFUL THOUGHT most just silly , sarcastic comments  green for you

yourbiggestfan (Jul. 06, 2017 @ 10:41p) |

ShadowedBlade (Jul. 07, 2017 @ 12:43p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Good idea, since it will be better to spend your money on a good prenup than a cheap ring!

rated:
I wouldn't buy a fake stone unless she knows about it and agrees to it. Instead try to buy a real diamond that you can afford. I have used this website called Pricescope to find a diamond (at a much cheaper price than at a jewelry store. You buy the stone and buy the setting from a local jeweler and have it mounted. Read up on the internet on how to buy a diamond.

Pricescope

rated:
mcpagano said:   I wouldn't buy a fake stone unless she knows about it and agrees to it. Instead try to buy a real diamond that you can afford. I have used this website called Pricescope to find a diamond (at a much cheaper price than at a jewelry store. You buy the stone and buy the setting from a local jeweler and have it mounted. Read up on the internet on how to buy a diamond.

Pricescope 

is this legit

rated:
I would try and buy a used ring from craigslist or a reputable pawn shop. Meet the CL seller at a jeweler who could verify the authenticity before buying. Call ahead to verify they have the service I and you could even have them resize, clean, and polish it to make it look new again as well.

rated:
Definitely go with a reputable pawn shop if you have to have a decent ring. Personally I used Amazon to get my now wife's ring and it was a great deal.

rated:
Pricescope is 100% legit. It looks at a few online retailers to find the best stones.

rated:
Look for local jewelry mart or wholesale jeweler that sells to the public. Do NOT go to Zales, Robbins brothers, etc or any mall stores. I was offered a very poor quality diamond for 21k. Bought a 100x better quality triple excellent diamond for 14k. It came in 3-4K cheaper than the online no tax places like James Allen and Blue Nile too. Now adjust it for whatever size/price range and the savings will still be there. I agree though, no cubic zirconia unless she knows and is ok with that because the last thing u want is for her to find out in public if she thinks it's real and get completely embarrassed. Not cool.

rated:
Malani jewelers

rated:
FLSHADOW74 said:   Definitely go with a reputable pawn shop if you have to have a decent ring. Personally I used Amazon to get my now wife's ring and it was a great deal.
  wow...I have never seen this before...reputable and pawn shop in the same sentence!

rated:

rated:
A girl I dated a long time ago managed a large jewelry store, one of their hooks for getting people in the door (in addition to the free cleanings everyone does) was free certified insurance appraisals and stone mappings. AT LEAST once a week they had women coming in and learning, surprise, your stone is fake.

rated:
Costco - very good stones. Also, excellent return policy

rated:
sloppy1 said:   
FLSHADOW74 said:   Definitely go with a reputable pawn shop if you have to have a decent ring. Personally I used Amazon to get my now wife's ring and it was a great deal.
  wow...I have never seen this before...reputable and pawn shop in the same sentence!

You have to sell it to the girlfriend the right way too....used is used, after all but 'I got it at a pawn shop' isn't makin' any clothes come off. But call it VINTAGE or estate sale jewelry and suddenly 'ohhh how romantic'. 

rated:
1) if you're already thinking of selling the diamond, you probably shouldn't be getting married. 
2) there is no market for terrible stones. And especially if you bought them at Zales, Robbins brothers, etc you probably bought the worst quality diamond at the highest price. 
3) of course there is no market for $100k Tiffany diamonds. You need to buy a diamond that's in the middle. Not flawless and not absolute crap, then there's a market. Buying a Tiffany diamond is about bragging rights. The diamond is going to be nice, but you're just paying for the Tiffany name. 

Realistically, it should be about making the other person happy. If they're fine with a cubic then that's great. You can even buy a cubic at the same wholesale jewelry stores (yes, they sell them too) and it should not be hundreds of dollars. If they are, you're getting ripped off. My parents used to own a jewelry store and they bought cubics just to have. They paid dollars, not hundreds of dollars. 

If diamonds are too expensive, buy a colored stone. A topaz, emerald, ruby whatever. Just don't lie and get a cubic and try to pass it off as a diamond. Last thing you want to do is start the marriage on a lie. 

rated:
Also to add. Tiffany usually picks out nice stones, but they are not GIA or AGS certified.

rated:
pkny said:   Also to add. Tiffany usually picks out nice stones, but they are not GIA or AGS certified.
  Which means when she tried to hock it she only gets 1/10th the value?

rated:
I don't know why you would buy the two separately (unless you are selling the diamond and replacing it) because a CZ already mounted in a ring is relatively inexpensive.You won't save anything.

Also consider how you would feel if your fiancee told you she got you a "Ferrari" and it was actually a fiberglass Kit Car on an old Toyota MR2 body.

rated:
I bought on eBay, and then confirmed locally.

rated:
CHECK MY EDITED POST GIRL FRIENDS IDEA 

rated:
check updated 

rated:

rated:
yes I have done it multiple times and multiple ways. feel free to message me on this site

rated:
not comfy with the auction style , but thanks so much green for you 

rated:
sangel what do you suggest ?  green for you 

rated:
I know the hype about diamonds, but there are other stones that are just as beautiful. If She is willing to go for a CZ than design a ring using each other birthstones. (or alternate depending on the stone) Ruby's , Emeralds, Saphires, Finding a mounting is easy.

rated:
Random thoughts:

Cubics are much much lighter than diamonds, and for the same weight, almost twice the size. Don't fall into the trap of buying something oversized just because it's affordable. If you don't look like you could afford the real thing, a larger-sized Cubic will be a dead giveaway. Also, the smaller they are, the more diamond-like they are.

To illustrate my point, I'll tell you the stories of 2 girls I knew. One was rich as sin, and bought a 4K solitaire. All of us who could not tell the real thing from fake, accused her of fake.
The other girl bought a Cubic the equivalent of a .75K diamond. We all thought she had saved up every penny, and splurged on a future heirloom.

Lastly, as some people pointed out, the pre-manufactured ones would be cheaper and most likely better than what you could achieve the way you are headed.
Costco and/or amaz0n are definitely worth considering.

rated:
Unless you are having a custom band created for the stone, not sure what the logic of buying stone and band separately are and even at that, it isn't necessarily the best way to go.
If you are in CA, here are 2 great jewelers to try:
The 14 Carats

Fishers Custom Design

rated:
Look up Moissanite...way less expensive and just as shiny!

rated:
What's the budget? Because at some amount there's a tipping point dollar wise. Where buying a cz doesn't make sense vs buying a diamond using some of the smart suggestions in this thread. I agree as stated before too big a cz screams fake.

rated:
I agree with Ocean935 and zapjb. A larger CZ is easy to spot as fake. Smaller ones can be less common because many people are buying a CZ since "Most normal people can't afford a 2 Caret rock." I would recommend between a .5 and 1 caret if going with a CZ.

While the $500 I paid for a .5-.75 caret (Single stone.) was much more than a CZ would cost, I am confident I got a good deal. The girl in Jarods wanted to buy it for $500. (If a Jewelry store offers you what you paid for something, That's a great sign.) This was actually an upgrade from the initial ring I also purchased on E bay with a very similar story and valuation. (~$250 approx for ~1/3 caret.)  If you don't feel comfortable purchasing used online, there are lots of local options.  (Make sure to take to a jewelry store PRIOR to purchasing.)

- I don't know what remounting, etc, would cost but that seems very inefficient to me. If you can't afford a used diamond, get an affordable CZ that's already mounted on something you want. If you have a job, you should be able to come up with $300-$500 for a diamond.  - If you don't have a job, you could make that donating plasma.  But I'm not in your situation.  -  If you're girl is an environmentalist, you might be Okay for something other than a diamond, but regardless you need to have a very strong feel of what she wants.  (Girls be crazy.)

rated:

rated:

rated:
sloppy1 said:   

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017