• filter:

QVC Acquires HSN for 2.1 Billion

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/qvc-to-acquire-rival-hsn-for-more-t...

"Two longtime rivals, QVC and the Home Shopping Network , HSNI +26.76% have agreed to merge as two businesses built around selling over television seek to combat the rise of online shopping.The companies said Thursday that they have agreed to combine in an all-stock transaction valued at about $2.1 billion. QVC, which is controlled by John Malone’sLiberty Interactive Corp. QVCB 0.20% , already owns a 38% stake in HSN.HSN shareholders will receive 1.65 shares of QVC’s Series A stock for each share of HSN. Based on Wednesday’s closing prices, the companies said the offer values each share of HSN at $40.36, or a 29% premium.Following the merger, Liberty Interactive plans to spin off its cable operations into an independent company and rename itself QVC Group. The business will include the flash-sale website zulily, which QVC bought for $2.4 billion in 2015, and HSN’s Cornerstone division, which includes home retailer Ballard Designs, among other brands.The combined company will have annual revenue of about $14 billion, half of which comes from e-commerce. Together, the company will be the third-largest e-commerce company in North America, behind Amazon.com Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc., according to eMarketer. "

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It took ALMOST 2 DAYS for someone to comment on this... (as long as both QVC and HSN keep having uncompetitive pricing it won't solve the problem)

Mostly because Liberty owns the Cable TV monopoly (originally there were 11 cable systems islandwide, they're the only one left) in Puerto Rico (their only US ownership that I know, others are foreign). Liberty also owns 50% of Discovery Communications (Disney owns the other half), among other stuff.

Most likely their media offerings, both in programming production and distributing, would keep the Liberty name as either a completely separate company or as both National Amusements (CBS / Viacom) and Fox (21st + 20th Century Fox / News Corp.) that keep separate stocked companies under a single ownership.

rated:
their prices on electronics are absurd,,but people are so easily swayed by how they love the host and thinks she/he would never lie about a product...i actually watch sometimes for the entertainment of debunking their claims and their half-truths...but if you want to but a 450 dollar laptop for 899 ..well................

rated:
I have been a Shop At Home TV loyal viewer of the Knife Collector Show since the original Stump O' Wood.

HSN & QVC too high class for me.

rated:
I heard on the radio today that once this is complete they are going to sell to Amazon to give them a Video Marketplace presence.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017