• filter:

Verizon Wireless Unlimited Plan

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
FIRST of all, this thread is only for those thinking of upgrading to an Unlimited plan on any carrier, which by design is NOT cheap - all carriers are similarly expensive, because you are talking about the top plan available.  There are other differences in plans besides prices, like HD video, call quality etc.  Also there are many existing Verizon customers (like me) who are still grandfathered in on the original Unlimited plans - and the new plans present some feasible options for the first time.

If you want to bash Verizon or complain that they are too expensive, please feel free to start your own thread to talk about that - it doesn't belong here.
If you don't use a lot of data - good for you - this thread is not for you, move along
If you click on the 3 articles at the bottom of this post, you will see the pricing comparing Unlimited plans from all 4 carriers are pretty close to each other (roughly $10/line max difference), so posting here that Verizon is too expensive just makes no sense at all.

There was a topic started back in February and that thread has been archived from further replies, so I am starting this one.
I wanted to keep the discussion alive (as I am sure many out there probably do as well) and also because there have been MANY changes in the market since then.

To summarize the Verizon Unlimited plan:

1 line - $80
2 lines - $140 or $70/line
3 lines - $160 or $53/line
4 lines - $180 or $45/line
10 lines - $300 or $30/line
*All prices include access charges

• Unlimited talk and text
  • Full LTE speeds on smartphones up to 22GB (per LINE, not account), after which Verizon "may" prioritize your data, based on traffic, for the rest of the billing period.
  • Full HD video (not 480p) - other carriers (ex T-Mobile ) don't offer this on their Unlimited plans or charge extra for it
  • Prices shown include line access and auto-pay & paper-free billing discount. Without auto pay: add +$5 for single and +$10 for all plans with 2 ore more lines
  • Taxes will be additional (typically $6-8 per account)
  • Credit card auto-pay not eligible for discount
  • Employee/Corporate discounts are not eligible - those will go away if you have them (except Military)
  • Smartphones, tablets, and internet devices* each $20 A month. Connected devices $5 per month
  • Mobile hot spot. 4G speeds for first 10GB then 3G speeds
  • Free international LD and SMS to Mexico and Canada
  • Data roaming in Mexico and Canada. 4G LTE speeds apply for first 500 megabytes per day then 2G speeds
  • Travel pass for $10 a day. 4G LTE speeds apply for first 500 megabytes per day then 2G speeds
  • Plan can be backdated
  • NBA league pass on stream pass

I ran through a couple of scenarios here, hopefully will be useful for many out there to compare/relate to.

MY CURRENT SCENARIO:

• Currently grandfathered in on the original unlimited plan (only my line)
  • 3 lines sharing 700 minutes
  • Line 1 - unlimited data + 1,000 SMS
  • Line 2 - 2GB data + 1,000 SMS
  • Line 3 - 2GB data + 1,000 SMS
  • 25% corp discount
  • $164.54 - current total bill with all fees/taxes included  (this used to be about $30/mo less, but they jacked price up to push us off grandfathered plans)
  • Switching to the new Unlimited plan, my total bill w all fees goes to $166.82 (with autopay)

Pros:
All lines gain unlimited talk/text (we go over every month now)
Lines 2/3 get unlimited data

Cons:
Lose 25% corp discount
Total bill goes up $2/month
Lose points/miles to switch credit card auto-pay to auto-debit (or else pay $10 extra/month)
UPDATE: Workaround for credit card - setup auto-pay, but manually pay full balance off w a CC 1 week or so before auto-pay is scheduled to draw (thanks RedSox9547!)

More applicable to most of you out there would be the following example...

SWITCH TO A 24GB LIMITED PLAN (largest plan currently available)

• 24GB closely resembles our actual total data usage as a family (today)
  • 3 lines w unlimited talk/text
  • 3 lines sharing 24GB data
  • 25% corp discount
  • $149.74 - new bill with all fees/taxes included

Pros:
Keep 25% corp discount
Keep auto-pay on credit card to earn points/miles
Save $15/month over current plan, save $17 over unlimited plan
No throttling at all due to congestion, etc.

Cons:
No line has unlimited data

OTHER THOUGHTS/FACTORS
These are features that have been around awhile, I was just not aware of them since I am on a very, very old grandfathered plan. Obviously these make a big difference when considering going Unlimited vs. not....
Safety Mode - When this is turned on, you will never have overage charges.  New feature that lets you keep using data at reduced speeds until the next billing cycle, or you can also increase your data plan with Data Boost. Safety Mode can be turned on in the My Verizon App.
Carry Over Data - ability to carry over unused data month to month
So after crunching the numbers, and looking at the new features safety mode/carryover data, I am leaning towards finally giving up my grandfathered plan and switching to a Limited 

What do you think, what's your situation?  Let me hear your thoughts please!

RECENT ARTICLES COMPARING ALL CARRIERS

Phone Arena 

Tech Radar 

Business Insider 

Member Summary

Verizon (1.97kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
That's a car payment!

dabir (Jul. 11, 2017 @ 4:38p) |

So does Verizon, but not as much.

dabir (Jul. 11, 2017 @ 4:42p) |

It's actually only $300 month for 10, and if you divide that up so each person pays for their own share, it's $30/mo... ... (more)

Mulox (Jul. 11, 2017 @ 5:01p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Go here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/taxes-and-surcharge-esti...
and put your info in regarding taxes and surcharges. For me it came to 16%
so for 4 lines unlimited at $180
$180 x 0.16 =$28.80
$180 + 28.8=$$208.8/month. That is over $2500 per year, stay with them for 5 years that's over $12,500. Not taking into account cost of cell phones.

Super crazy unless you are well off or your company pays your cell phone bill!

rated:
I say this is way too expensive. I feel it is only for people who make big bucks.

rated:
Mulox said:   The only topic on this was started back in February and that thread has been archived from further replies, so I am starting this one
I wanted to keep the discussion alive (as I am sure many out there probably do as well) and also because there have been MANY changes in the market since then.

To summarize the Verizon plan:

1 line - $80
2 lines - $140 or $70/line
3 lines - $160 or $53/line
4 lines - $180 or $45/line

• Unlimited talk and text
  • Full LTE speeds on smartphones up to 22GB (per LINE, not account), after which Verizon "may" prioritize your data, based on traffic, for the rest of the billing period.
  • Full HD video (not 480p) - other carriers (ex T-Mobile ) don't offer this on their Unlimited plans or charge extra for it
  • Prices shown include line access and auto-pay & paper-free billing discount. Without auto pay: add +$5 for single and +$10 for all plans with 2 ore more lines
  • Taxes will be additional (typically $6-8 per account)
  • Credit card auto-pay not eligible for discount
  • Employee/Corporate discounts are not eligible - those will go away if you have them (except Military)
  • Smartphones, tablets, and internet devices* each $20 A month. Connected devices $5 per month
  • Mobile hot spot. 4G speeds for first 10GB then 3G speeds
  • Free international LD and SMS to Mexico and Canada
  • Data roaming in Mexico and Canada. 4G LTE speeds apply for first 500 megabytes per day then 2G speeds
  • Travel pass for $10 a day. 4G LTE speeds apply for first 500 megabytes per day then 2G speeds
  • Plan can be backdated
  • NBA league pass on stream pass

I ran through a couple of scenarios here, hopefully will be useful for many out there to compare/relate to.

MY CURRENT SCENARIO:

• Currently grandfathered in on the original unlimited plan (only my line)
  • 3 lines sharing 700 minutes
  • Line 1 - unlimited data + 1,000 SMS
  • Line 2 - 2GB data + 1,000 SMS
  • Line 3 - 2GB data + 1,000 SMS
  • 25% corp discount
  • $164.54 - current total bill with all fees/taxes included
  • Switching to the new Unlimited plan, my total bill w all fees goes to $166.82 (with autopay)

Pros:
Lines 2/3 get unlimited data

Cons:
Lose 25% corp discount
Total bill goes up $2/month
Lose points/miles to switch credit card auto-pay to auto-debit (or else pay $10 extra/month)

More applicable to most of you out there would be the following example...

SWITCH TO A 24GB LIMITED PLAN (largest plan currently available)

• 24GB closely resembles our actual total data usage as a family (today)
  • 3 lines w unlimited talk/text
  • 3 lines sharing 24GB data
  • 25% corp discount
  • $149.74 - new bill with all fees/taxes included

Pros:
Keep 25% corp discount
Keep auto-pay on credit card to earn points/miles
Save $15/month over current plan, save $17 over unlimited plan
No throttling at all due to congestion, etc.

Cons:
No line has unlimited data

OTHER THOUGHTS/FACTORS
Safety Mode - When this is turned on, you will never have overage charges.  New feature that lets you keep using data at reduced speeds until the next billing cycle, or you can also increase your data plan with Data Boost. Safety Mode can be turned on in the My Verizon App.
Carry Over Data - ability to carry over unused data month to month
So after crunching the numbers, and looking at the new features safety mode/carryover data, I am leaning towards finally giving up my grandfathered plan and switching to a Limited 

What do you think, what's your situation?  Let me hear your thoughts please!

RECENT ARTICLES COMPARING ALL CARRIERS

Phone Arena 

Tech Radar 

Business Insider

Where do you see a 24GB option?

rated:
There's a work around on losing the credit card points..,set up auto pay prepay bill 2 weeks early w credit card of your choice the discount sticks...

rated:
pjrxj said:   Where do you see a 24GB option?

I didn't see it online, but the Verizon rep I spoke with on the phone offered it to me. There are rumors the 16 and 24 GB plans will be dropped soon.

rated:
Verizon is too expensive! It all depends on how much are you ok with a lesser quality carrier.

rated:
redsox9547 said:   There's a work around on losing the credit card points..,set up auto pay prepay bill 2 weeks early w credit card of your choice the discount sticks...
  Great idea!  Have you actually tried this and it works?

rated:
I currently have the new unlimited plan with 2 lines on it. Our total is roughly $190ish (we currently pay a $40 line access fee each line since each phone is still under contract). I am in process of asking my family and close friends who have Verizon to jump on my plan. This would make it cheaper for all of us. (I would only add people I trust and we would spell out the terms of our little contract up front).
If i have 4 people on my plan, our cost goes from $190 to $135. If i get 6 people on our plan it goes down to $116.

I Love Verizon because their service is dependable but hate them because they are pricey. This is my method of trying to drive down my cost.
Thoughts? (other than don't do it cause your family/friends will screw you..lol)

rated:
Technically you are paying $20 Access and $20 Edge fee. The Edge fee isn't included in the unlimited plan. so add in another $40 to the $140 fee , making it $180.

rated:
mckstpat said:   I currently have the new unlimited plan with 2 lines on it. Our total is roughly $190ish (we currently pay a $40 line access fee each line since each phone is still under contract). I am in process of asking my family and close friends who have Verizon to jump on my plan. This would make it cheaper for all of us. (I would only add people I trust and we would spell out the terms of our little contract up front).
If i have 4 people on my plan, our cost goes from $190 to $135. If i get 6 people on our plan it goes down to $116.

I Love Verizon because their service is dependable but hate them because they are pricey. This is my method of trying to drive down my cost.
Thoughts? (other than don't do it cause your family/friends will screw you..lol)

Sounds very well thought out.  For example, folks "rent out" spots to total strangers on Cricket to get to the magic 5 lines for $100/month figure.  You can look on Reddit and Howard Forums and see this occurring.  Now that is risky, to me anyway.

rated:
Wow, it's been a long time since I've been with the big box carriers, forgot how expensive they are! I'm good with MNVO services.

rated:
10 family / friends = $365, Unlimited talk, text, and web. 

rated:
Yeah, I'm fine getting Verizon service under the name of Total Wireless. $25 + $3.33/gig data. I'm sure there are valid scenarios, but I just can't think of why one would need more than 2-3G of data per month with wi-fi so ubiquitous.

rated:
publicpersona said:   Yeah, I'm fine getting Verizon service under the name of Total Wireless. $25 + $3.33/gig data. I'm sure there are valid scenarios, but I just can't think of why one would need more than 2-3G of data per month with wi-fi so ubiquitous.
  I personally like Boom for Verizon, and some people have only a cell for internet. I totally agree 2-3gigs is good for very light usage but these days, as cells being a primary device, data goes quickly! Both my wife and I have no other source of internet over our phones, thus data is very desirable.

rated:
deleted

rated:
Im a dept manager in a walmart mart connection center ... we sell verizon and att. We had a dude that wanted to test the MAY slow down your speeds limit .... he showed me his phone and had used 84 gigs of data... still full speed

rated:
publicpersona said:   Yeah, I'm fine getting Verizon service under the name of Total Wireless. $25 + $3.33/gig data. I'm sure there are valid scenarios, but I just can't think of why one would need more than 2-3G of data per month with wi-fi so ubiquitous.
  Watching video, hotspot while traveling, etc. etc. 

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Technically you are paying $20 Access and $20 Edge fee. The Edge fee isn't included in the unlimited plan. so add in another $40 to the $140 fee , making it $180.
  That is incorrect - access fee is included (that was the rate I was quoted by Verizon on the phone.
Also Edge fee is only for those that want to rent phones, which I don't do, as I only buy my phones outright.

rated:
mckstpat said:   I currently have the new unlimited plan with 2 lines on it. Our total is roughly $190ish (we currently pay a $40 line access fee each line since each phone is still under contract). I am in process of asking my family and close friends who have Verizon to jump on my plan. This would make it cheaper for all of us. (I would only add people I trust and we would spell out the terms of our little contract up front).

This is actually a great idea, and I have been trying to think of a way to do it myself.  Besides trusting people to pay up, the only other challenge I see are:

1. The logistics of collecting from everyone each month could be a huge headache.  The best method would be to have your family set up some kind of recurring funds transfer from their checking to yours, avoiding the hassle of chasing down people each month to pay up.

2. Member management. Hassle of adding/removing people from the plan, which also changes each person's share.  

3. Managing account features.  Probably a minor issue, but only the main account holder can make changes (ex. add/remove features).  For example they have extras you can subscribe to like VZ navigator, VZ Cloud, extra security, FindMyPhone, and Parental Control options ($5/mo).  Could be a hassle if people want to make a lot of changes, and also more to keep track of for who owes what each month.

If my math is correct, 10 lines would be $300/month, or $30/member... not too shabby!

rated:
Mulox said:   
forbin4040 said:   Technically you are paying $20 Access and $20 Edge fee. The Edge fee isn't included in the unlimited plan. so add in another $40 to the $140 fee , making it $180.
  That is incorrect - access fee is included (that was the rate I was quoted by Verizon on the phone.
Also Edge fee is only for those that want to rent phones, which I don't do, as I only buy my phones outright.

I was answering Muckspat, he had a $40 access fee.  That's a mix of the access fee and the edge fee.

rated:
not sure why you are not going to Tmobile - 4 lines all ultd for $160
I used 106GB one month with no throttling!!

rated:
aumnamah said:   not sure why you are not going to Tmobile - 4 lines all ultd for $160
I used 106GB one month with no throttling!!

Because TMobile sucks in many areas.

rated:
starcrossed said:   10 family / friends = $365, Unlimited talk, text, and web. 

That's a car payment!

rated:
forbin4040 said:     Because TMobile sucks in many areas.

So does Verizon, but not as much.

rated:
dabir said:   
starcrossed said:   10 family / friends = $365, Unlimited talk, text, and web. 

That's a car payment!

It's actually only $300 month for 10, and if you divide that up so each person pays for their own share, it's $30/mo... not bad at all!

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017