• filter:

What exactly is the Amazon Prime Two-Day guarantee?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I read the Amazon pages and a few forum entries but can't find a direct answer.  The forum discussions always seem to split hairs on the time of day the order is placed or the delivery spanning a weekend.  This is a Monday order of two Prime items that showed up Friday and Saturday.  This is before the Prime Day fracas.

Both items were from third-party sellers whose shipping is fulfilled by Amazon.  The invoice shows two-day delivery.  I don't recall seeing any stocking issues or shipping delay notices.  I usually get my orders within two days but this has been slipping lately.

The guarantee says these should arrive in two days, so I'm expecting a Monday order to show up Wednesday or Thursday.  Neither were shipped on Monday or Tuesday.  One shipped Wednesday and the other on Friday.  They arrived Friday and Saturday, respectively.

So does Prime exclude the 'handling' time between order and shipping?  Does this order technically conform to the guarantee since the actual shipping was two days? (being 'technically correct' is the BEST kind of correct!  )

I'm not out for blood and justice. This order was okay being late but I'd prefer the option to buy locally if my two-day shipping takes five.   Other than Prime next-day (with fees or minimum amounts) is there a way to filter results that won't show up in two or three days?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
My view is as follows: Amazon will tell you when you can expect delivery when you place your order. Decide based on that if you want to buy from AMZ or local. Technically they may say 2 working days but will get stuff to you on a weekend. What I have seen is that if you place an order late friday/weekend, the 2-day thing starts Monday (I am assuming the warehouses are closed over the weekends OR they are unable to get it to the shipping partners on the weekend). If you order it Wed/Thu, they will get it to you over the weekend (because they can get it to the shipping partner who will deliver it on Sat/Sun. In any event, they will tell you when u can expect to see your delivery before you complete your purchase.

In case they are late, use it to get a free month's worth of Prime.

rated:
You asked, "Does this order technically conform to the guarantee since the actual shipping was two days?"
I think that topic has been discussed in older threads about Amazon here on FW. ...my memory is hazy on that, but I think some people said that it does technically conform when the shipping portion takes 2 days, even if they don't ship the item out for a day or three after the order is placed.

However: When you were ordering the items this month, did the item listing pages, or the final order page, tell you the exact date your orders were guaranteed to arrive (presumably 2 business days hence)?

I ask because, similar to your experience, in the last year or two, I've generally been disappointed with their "Prime 2 day delivery" because they had been stringing it out to 4 or 5 days or even longer (yes, the delivery timings from the time of shipment to arrival at my address took only 2 days, but they wouldn't ship the items out without routinely holding on to them for several days in the warehouse, for no discernible reason, after I had placed my orders).
(I only do Prime on select months for $10.99; I don't have the year-long plan.)
However, I have been surprised with my current one-month Prime membership because, for me, they are stating up front on each item's listing page a guaranteed arrival date that is 2 business days beyond my order date, and the packages have always arrived on that date or sometimes the day before that (in other words, in 1 business day), even though I live in an area where the only Amazon delivery methods used are USPS and UPS (there is no area warehouse to allow for local in-person deliveries). It feels like they are finally honoring their slogan and delivering a better, more respectful, more reliable customer experience for me.

That's why I asked if you had been promised a specific arrival date when you placed the order. If you were promised an arrival date but the delivery date exceeded it by 2 or 3 days out, especially for more than one order in a row, that is definitely not appropriate and I think you should complain about it.

People have commented on FW that if you have a legitimate complaint about a Prime delivery taking too long to arrive, Amazon will often offer to give you an extra month free of Prime as compensation.
No harm in calling them to see what they might offer, or simply to find out what their reasons were for having your Monday "2-day" orders show up on Friday and Saturday.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017