• filter:

New gaming/office chair - first time buyer confused by fancily worded features

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hello FW community! I知 looking to buy a new gaming/office chair, unfortunately I haven稚 had much luck in my research so now I look to you guys for help. Below you値l find several factors to help narrow down the list of available chairs that may suit my needs.

• Budget: <= $600;
  • General measurements:

• Weight: 250 lbs;
    • Height: 510 ス.

• Chair refinements:

• New only, brand doesn稚 matter, I care only about quality;
    • A few guide sites recommend mesh backs for people who run warm and often tend to sweat as it helps with breathability, dunno it this a proven fact;
    • The only chair type I could pin down for my desired gaming chair was 都wivel, since I need something with wheels;
    • My back and arms are insufficiently supported by my current office chair;

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
The problem with chairs is that until you sit in them, you will NEVER know how good / bad they are.

rated:
That's when any hope I had of finding the right chair came crashing down!

rated:
Over the years, there have been several threads in Deal Discussion about office/desk chairs -- brands, retailers, prices.
Most of the advice would still be pertinent.
Do a few searches of the site (it's best to use an external search engine because the in-built one is not good) with some likely keywords.

----
Even if one doesn't sweat much, the high-quality, mesh-backed chairs can be a great choice. If you do tend to run hot, you'll probably really like a mesh-backed chair.
Long ago, I had an Aeron (sp?) chair and it was great. I know they are expensive, but I think that one of the previous FW threads mentioned how to get them "used" for a good price. And nowadays cheaper copycats of those abound.
You might check out Ikea, if you have one near you - it has a variety of desk chairs but may not come to mind as readily as stores like Staples and Office Depot do.
You will have to physically try out your options -- don't buy online without testing.
I think you'll have no trouble finding something you like, since your budget is pretty generous and your measurements are well within the norm.

rated:
Thanks oppidum! I searched using the built-in engine and turned up nothing.

rated:
jarinhoto said:   That's when any hope I had of finding the right chair came crashing down!
You need to walk into a store like Staples, where they (at least use to) have rows of assembled chairs you can try out to get some specs you prefer. You can then search to find any deals on that model/similar models. But if you havent sat in the exact chair, be sure to have a return plan before ordering, or else you'll probably find yourself settling.

rated:
Glitch99 said:   You need to walk into a store like Staples,where they (at least use to) have rows of assembled chairs you can try out to get some specs you prefer. You can then search to find any deals on that model/similar models.

I am sure it's a very personal thing, but I once tried out the entire section of desk chairs in a Staples (maybe 20 models - it was a lot of faffing around), maybe about 6 years ago, and they all were terrible. I wouldn't have spent $5 for any of them to be my desk chair, not even the most expensive ones.

At that time, I went all around town to bricks-and-mortar stores. I even clambered onto a 6-foot-high shelf at Walmart or Target to sit in some desk chairs that were the only ones of their kind out on display yet were tightly tethered to the upper shelf of a two-level display unit.

In other words, don't expect that just because a chair LOOKS a certain way/is a certain shape/height/style, that other chairs that have its general shape/height/style would also FEEL the same to you as you are sitting in them, or would be manufactured to a similar quality standard, from brand to brand and from retailer to retailer.

[I find the same with athletic shoes, hiking boots, and so on -- they can look similar on the outside (have the same color schemes, be made of similar-looking materials) and be of a similar price, but then fit my feet so differently - some that look good and familiar from the outside can be so uncomfortable when tried on - and be manufactured with different standards of quality and workmanship.]

rated:
Two words....LazyBoy

rated:
kingdoodler said:   Two words....LazyBoy

I thought of them, but they don't seem to carry office chairs.

rated:
Hey guys! Sorry for the late update, since I'm not used to posting here I tend to forget. I want to thank you all once again for your insight, every little bit contributed to accessing my needs in relation to the chair.
Unfortunately I only found one local option that fit the bill, but that was $700+ tax (the one pictured). I ended up going with my last ditch option, the DXRacer OH/TS30/NR for $579.00 even @Newegg,plus 2% rebate from Ebates. It's pretty comfy, though I'm still getting used to leaning back in the chair with a cushion pressed against my lower back.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017