• filter:

Ebay buyer asks to cancel order 7 weeks after payment.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I sold a $60 used auto part for local pickup and buyer used Paypal on June 1st for payment. Haven't heard a word from the buyer until yesterday when he sends a message saying, Never got it. Cancel please. Well DUH, its for local pickup. Am I required to cancel after 7 weeks? I don't offer returns and he is still welcome to come get it. Not my problem if he is 500 miles away and didn't read the description. It took me 2 hours to get the part out of the car and have been storing it ever since.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I'll ship but it will cost him more than the part. As for not understanding how eBay works, sellers haven't been able to... (more)

atikovi (Jul. 24, 2017 @ 9:37a) |

My bad. I guess I did all of my selling during the heyday.

meade18 (Jul. 25, 2017 @ 11:40a) |

Refund the guy his money and re-list it. Be done with it. Is it a contract? Technically yes. But why create headache and... (more)

goku2 (Aug. 04, 2017 @ 1:09a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You can either A: Give him his money back or B: Deal with a chargeback. Either way, the buyer is getting his money.

rated:
Chargeback for what? Item not as described? Nope. Fraudulent charge? Nope. He just hasn't picked up an item listed for local pick up yet.

rated:
Chargeback for item not received.

Never use paypoo for local pickup item.  Cash on pickup only.

At least you will get most of your fleabay and paypoo fees back when you refund him and you didn't loose your item.

rated:
atikovi said:   Chargeback for what? Item not as described? Nope. Fraudulent charge? Nope. He just hasn't picked up an item listed for local pick up yet.
  you obviously have no idea how eBay/paypal works....sellers lose.  

Item not received.  you will 100% lose.  yay for eBay

rated:
atikovi said:   I don't offer returns and he is still welcome to come get it. Not my problem if he is 500 miles away and didn't read the description.
As much as people make issues about race or religion, the largest protected class these days is "stupid". You can leave some sort of passive-aggressive note about it when you return his money, but return the money regardless because it's going to happen be it voluntarily or involuntarily. Or, if you are hellbent on having that part sold, first reply that he paid for local pickup, but you'd be glad to ship it to him for an additional $15 (or whatever type of package the part would require), on the off chance he does still want it.

rated:
sloppy1 said:   Never use paypoo for local pickup item.  Cash on pickup only.

This needs to be repeated.  You don't realize this until you get burned.

The normal situation is the buyer pays paypal, picks up the item and then claims item not received.

Paypal/eBay sides with buyer because there is no "proof" of delivery, no tracking number etc..  You can show them email correspondence for the pickup until you are blue in the face, they side with buyer. 

Moral of the story, for pickup only items -- CASH ON PICKUP ONLY.

rated:
quaters said:   

The normal situation is the buyer pays paypal, picks up the item and then claims item not received.

Paypal/eBay sides with buyer because there is no "proof" of delivery, no tracking number etc..  You can show them email correspondence for the pickup until you are blue in the face, they side with buyer. 

I wonder what'd happen if you mail the buyer a receipt confirming the local pickup, and track that so there's a tracking number to give eBay

rated:
send a package to his house immediately. That way you don't get a INR claim.

And considering your history on FW, I'm surprised you took a paypal payment knowing just how it can be disputed.

rated:
quaters said:   

Paypal/eBay sides with buyer because there is no "proof" of delivery, no tracking number etc..  You can show them email correspondence for the pickup until you are blue in the face, they side with buyer. 

First off, Paypal does not cover INR on local pickup. Second, you can't list an item on eBay without an electronic payment, local pickup or not. Third, if your listing says you accept Paypal, you have to take Paypal whether it's shipped or picked up. 

rated:
Why not refund the guy and sell it to someone else?

Buyer can waste your time and your energy (saying he'll show and making you wait for him). Move on and get rid of the part to someone who will pay and pick up

rated:
atikovi said:   
 First off, Paypal does not cover INR on local pickup

What makes you think that?

rated:
supersnoop00 said:   
atikovi said:   

The Paypal user agreement https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#purc... to wit:

Item Not Received claims
Your claim will not qualify for a refund under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program for an Item Not Received claim, if:

• You collect the item in person

rated:
atikovi said:   
supersnoop00 said:   
atikovi said:   

The Paypal user agreement https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#purchase-protection to wit:

Item Not Received claims
Your claim will not qualify for a refund under PayPal’s Purchase Protection program for an Item Not Received claim, if:

Well, you asked for advice and everyone told you to send him a refund 'cause your gonna lose.  You seem to be so sure you're correct and that eBay/PP will side with you (so why did you ask?) so just stick the item in a corner somewhere and just wait it out.  Or sell it again.  Either way you're eventually gonna lose with this buyer not because your wrong (or right) but because that's how eBay/PayPal works. Cut you losses, send him a refund and sell it again on Craig's List for cash

rated:
atikovi said:   
supersnoop00 said:   
atikovi said:   

The Paypal user agreement https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#purchase-protection to wit:

Item Not Received claims

But he clearly did not collect the item.  Picking up the item in person then claiming it wasnt receive wont fly (if the seller can show that you did pick it up in person).  An item you were supposed to pick up in person but never did is still covered.

rated:
If you were selling for local pickup up, why did you not use a local listing medium, like Craigslist or such that targets only local buyers?

I've bought many "it's too big to ship - pickup only" items this way, primarily auto parts.

rated:
Logan71 said:   If you were selling for local pickup up, why did you not use a local listing medium, like Craigslist or such that targets only local buyers?

I've bought many "it's too big to ship - pickup only" items this way, primarily auto parts.

But have you tried to sell any? First of all, maybe only one out five people that say they will be there at an agreed on time, ever show up. Second, they want to pay half of the price agreed on if they do show up.

rated:
atikovi said:   
Logan71 said:   If you were selling for local pickup up, why did you not use a local listing medium, like Craigslist or such that targets only local buyers?

But have you tried to sell any? First of all, maybe only one out five people that say they will be there at an agreed on time, ever show up. Second, they want to pay half of the price agreed on if they do show up.

What's your point?  Your buyer didn't show up either.

rated:
But I got paid.

rated:
atikovi said:   But I got paid.
  And you will get unpaid if you don't arrange delivery or refund.  You say you never heard from the buyer but did you make any attempt to contact them to arrange delivery?

rated:
Don't know about most people, but when I buy something, I usually want to get it asap and contact the seller soon after paying. Why, as a seller, should I be the one making contact?

rated:
atikovi said:   Don't know about most people, but when I buy something, I usually want to get it asap and contact the seller soon after paying. Why, as a seller, should I be the one making contact?
 I understand your point but it still is a little troubling.  When I purchase stuff I expect to hear from the seller. Things like "it's been shipped" or something.   I wonder, did you even notify the buyer he won (if auction) and attempt to arrange pickup??

rated:
  Eventually you'll be unpaid.  So sell it again and you'll have been paid twice but don't spend the extra $$$ so fast. 

rated:
Rick505 said:   
atikovi said:   Don't know about most people, but when I buy something, I usually want to get it asap and contact the seller soon after paying. Why, as a seller, should I be the one making contact?
 I understand your point but it still is a little troubling.  When I purchase stuff I expect to hear from the seller. Things like "it's been shipped" or something.   I wonder, did you even notify the buyer he won (if auction) and attempt to arrange pickup??

Not an auction, fixed price Buy It Now listing.
MisterEd said:   
  Eventually you'll be unpaid.  So sell it again and you'll have been paid twice but don't spend the extra $$$ so fast. 

Seems like people abandon their purchases all the time. This January I sold and got paid for a $75 trunk mat and never heard from the buyer. Soon as the Palpal 180 day window for refunds passes I'll relist. 2  years ago I sold a damaged bumper for $50 that was paid with Paypal. Buyer contacted me about picking it up in a month the next time he gets up here from Atlanta. That month turned into 2, then 4 then 6 after which I never heard back. I sold it again on eBay and got paid Feb. 27th and never heard a thing afterwards from the second buyer. Will wait until August 27 for the 180 day Paypal window to close and then relist a third time. It's like running a pawn shop, some people never pick up their stuff.

rated:
Stubtify said:   Why not refund the guy and sell it to someone else?

Buyer can waste your time and your energy (saying he'll show and making you wait for him). Move on and get rid of the part to someone who will pay and pick up

Ha Ha ...Because he probably won't be able to find another  buyer that wants the used junk auto part.
The eBay sale was probably a freak accident to begin with.

rated:
Have you ever ordered an item for store pickup, paid with your credit card, and not picked it up? When that happens, the store "cancels" the order and "refunds" your money. The store would gladly keep your money, but they know it's a losing fight since the credit card company will side with the buyer. It's in the credit card agreement. So the buyer in your case not only has the paypal rules to fall back on, but also his credit card chargeback rules.

If something is paid for, the buyer essentially has the right to cancel the purchase until he picks it up or until the seller ships the item. That's what he did here. If you're not willing to ship the part, just refund his money, give him poor feedback and move on. This is how selling on eBay works. How do you not understand this?

rated:
meade18 said:    If you're not willing to ship the part, just refund his money, give him poor feedback and move on. This is how selling on eBay works. How do you not understand this?
  I'll ship but it will cost him more than the part. As for not understanding how eBay works, sellers haven't been able to leave poor feedback for years.

rated:
atikovi said:   
meade18 said:    If you're not willing to ship the part, just refund his money, give him poor feedback and move on. This is how selling on eBay works. How do you not understand this?
  I'll ship but it will cost him more than the part. As for not understanding how eBay works, sellers haven't been able to leave poor feedback for years.

My bad. I guess I did all of my selling during the heyday.

rated:
Refund the guy his money and re-list it. Be done with it. Is it a contract? Technically yes. But why create headache and aggravation when the buyer obviously didn't understand that it was for local pickup only. If the buyer still wants the item, tell him you'll re-list it with the option for shipping.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017