• filter:

Tax free online military exchange, honorably discharged starting 11/2017

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
A new program is coming in November 2017 which allows honorably discharged veterans to shop at all exchanges online tax free.
https://www.vetverify.org

You verify your vet status at the site above.

Here is a link for a site dedicated to military news verifying it. The link to vetverify.org is at the bottom. http://www.militarytimes.com/arti...p-tax-free  

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
do they PM? also good for fixed prices like xbox, ipad etc.

needhelpplease (Aug. 01, 2017 @ 12:51a) |

Haven't seen PM but you can always send something to them and ask.

smokeycatrules (Aug. 01, 2017 @ 1:06p) |

No.  This benefit is for ONLINE shopping only.  On base stores are available only to active duty and retired personnel (... (more)

jhburgess (Aug. 02, 2017 @ 3:45a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
At the risk of starting a silly online argument, this just seems so.....odd to me.  I would think that honorably discharged members of the military would be particularly proud of their country/state/community and find this "discount" unpatrioric, because, well, it is.  If you're so worried about price that a few percent is make-or-break, don't you just haul on down to Wal-Mart?

Am I missing something?  Seems super lame to play this card in order to get a leg up on the "civilian" companies.

rated:
I really don't find any discount unpatriotic. AFEES offers many items at a reasonable price that many of us disabled vets cannot afford otherwise.
Sometimes its nice to give our spouses, after all they went through the military too, an affordable gift that is priced better than Walmart.

rated:
rlcrisp said:   At the risk of starting a silly online argument, this just seems so.....odd to me.  I would think that honorably discharged members of the military would be particularly proud of their country/state/community and find this "discount" unpatrioric, because, well, it is.  If you're so worried about price that a few percent is make-or-break, don't you just haul on down to Wal-Mart

Am I missing something?  Seems super lame to play this card in order to get a leg up on the "civilian" companies.

I think I would have to agree with you.

rated:
smokeycatrules said:   I really don't find any discount unpatriotic. AFEES offers many items at a reasonable price that many of us disabled vets cannot afford otherwise.
Sometimes its nice to give our spouses, after all they went through the military too, an affordable gift that is priced better than Walmart.

It's not a "discount" it is literally a tax break.  The unpatriotic point is particularly relevant as the military operates entirely on funds raised by taxes.

rated:
rlcrisp said:   
smokeycatrules said:   I really don't find any discount unpatriotic. AFEES offers many items at a reasonable price that many of us disabled vets cannot afford otherwise.

It's not a "discount" it is literally a tax break.  The unpatriotic point is particularly relevant as the military operates entirely on funds raised by taxes.

Then out of state online shopping is unpatriotic especially for who have not served their nation. Serving in the military is not a silly unpatriotic proposition.

rated:
Being a disabled veteran and have used the online service it has it's benefits. No Tax... If the order is over 50.00 there is no shipping charge. Also if you use one of their credit cards the shipping is free no matter how small the order. And a lot of people do not live close to a Walmart.

And to "ricrisp" I assume you were not in the military. This benefit was only available to 100 percent disabled and retired. Now any veteran can use it.

Now if they can only correct the V.A. health system.................

rated:
rpi1967 said:   
rlcrisp said:   

Then out of state online shopping is unpatriotic especially for who have not served their nation. Serving in the military is not a silly unpatriotic proposition.

This is diverting the point of the discussion, but note that generally you are still supposed to report and pay tax on these purchases by law.  Of course I am sure the number of people who do so is low, it is still the law.

rated:
chuck1948 said:   Being a disabled veteran and have used the online service it has it's benefits. No Tax... If the order is over 50.00 there is no shipping charge. Also if you use one of their credit cards the shipping is free no matter how small the order. And a lot of people do not live close to a Walmart.

And to "ricrisp" I assume you were not in the military. This benefit was only available to 100 percent disabled and retired. Now any veteran can use it.

And of course disabled and retired people of all areas often times have more benefits because they have a need (SSI, etc), that's beside the point entirely.  My thought was that this is clearly for the benefit of the exchanges not being competitive enough in the marketplace and that taking tax away was an extra strange way to give them a leg up as without tax we have no military.  Rather than find a way to cut prices they've maneuvered the system to get a tax free status which ironically ends a lot of the support they actually send out to the community (rather than only serving the base/military/ex-military/military family members).

rated:
rlcrisp said:   At the risk of starting a silly online argument, this just seems so.....odd to me.  I would think that honorably discharged members of the military would be particularly proud of their country/state/community and find this "discount" unpatrioric, because, well, it is.  If you're so worried about price that a few percent is make-or-break, don't you just haul on down to Wal-Mart

Yes.  It is not a discount.  It is access to something they used to be able to access while in the military, and was previously only available to Active Duty, Reserves, Guard, retirees and 100% disabled veterans and their families.

in many ways this helps to ensure the longevity of AAFES which is a NAF part of DOD. I rarely use it despite being a retiree, as their prices are often higher than COSTCO or other places...and that is if they have what you actually want.  While they do price matching, it has to be the same item.   For uniform items, they are the safe choice though.

rated:
rlcrisp said:   
chuck1948 said:   Being a disabled veteran and have used the online service it has it's benefits. No Tax... If the order is over 50.00 there is no shipping charge. Also if you use one of their credit cards the shipping is free no matter how small the order. And a lot of people do not live close to a Walmart.

And of course disabled and retired people of all areas often times have more benefits because they have a need (SSI, etc), that's beside the point entirely.  My thought was that this is clearly for the benefit of the exchanges not being competitive enough in the marketplace and that taking tax away was an extra strange way to give them a leg up as without tax we have no military.  Rather than find a way to cut prices they've maneuvered the system to get a tax free status which ironically ends a lot of the support they actually send out to the community (rather than only serving the base/military/ex-military/military family members).

They didn't "maneuver" anything to get a tax free status.  They are a part of DOD, and located on federal property.  Not certain what your issue is, but I think you may want to do a little more research before making any more uninformed statements.  Here is a start: https://odin.aafes.com/Employment/profile.asp

rated:
I find it much more troubling that the site is a non .gov and not directly linked to AAFES or NEX. It's a prime opportunity for a phishing scam. I've heard of the program elsewhere, so I know it's legit. The site is the only thing in question.

edit:  BTW, the site is registered through a proxy, so you can't even verify site ownership.

rated:
gonzo7887 said:   
rlcrisp said:   

They didn't "maneuver" anything to get a tax free status.  They are a part of DOD, and located on federal property.  Not certain what your issue is, but I think you may want to do a little more research before making any more uninformed statements.  Here is a start: https://odin.aafes.com/Employment/profile.asp

That link doesn't go anywhere and isn't a .gov - not super helpful

Edit:  Back up now, Still haven't heard any reasons why it is a good idea to expand the tax breaks other than "well other people have them or had them in the past".  I guess it's cool for the rest of the community to pick up the infrastructure costs for the military bases in order to support them.

rated:
What specific infrastructure costs? There isn't any addition cost from additional online purchases. Please educate yourself, because every single time AAFES is mentioned someone comes out of the woodwork to suggest these purchases are being subsidized. That's simply not the case. The exchanges turn a profit, so there is zero cost to subsidize. The overhead is already being more than covered. You can make an argument that taxes aren't being collected that would be if the purchases were made elsewhere, but that's the only argument. And, since the purchases are being made online, in many cases are the equivalent taxes aren't being collected elsewhere anyway.

rated:
drodge said:   You can make an argument that taxes aren't being collected that would be if the purchases were made elsewhere, but that's the only argument. And, since the purchases are being made online, in many cases are the equivalent taxes aren't being collected elsewhere anyway.

That's the whole (and only) argument that I've been making this whole time.....

Everyone else is bringing in these off-topic points about disability, previous policies, calling me ignorant...lol.  I've simply been saying that it's a strange benefit to offer to shirk taxes that should be supporting infrastructure and the communities the bases are located in.

From what I can tell, essentially all profits are being pushed back into the Military anyway and nearly all employees are military family, so sales taxes were pretty much the only way the community gets anything but yet the community has to maintain the road infrastructure that these goods travel on, run utilities out there, etc.  We've already covered the "but people already don't pay taxes on out of state online sales" which is not the law.

My point is that it's a strange way to make these exchanges cost-competitive, by screwing the state/communities out of tax revenue, rather than doing the things any normal company would have to do.

rated:
drodge said:   The exchanges turn a profit, so there is zero cost to subsidize. The overhead is already being more than covered.
  Simple question:  If this is the case, why can't they just lower their prices by the amount of tax revenue they're avoiding?  If they have so much profit that shouldn't be a problem.

rated:
As a non-retired military veteran, I am currently not able to shop in the exchange. They don't funnel profits directly to the military. They donate most of it to MWR programs that benefit current active duty military and reserve members. As a non-retiree, I won't benefit from any of those projects, as I don't qualify to use them. If I can shop at the exchange, know my purchase is going toward projects that benefit current military members, and also know that I can't use those services myself, I'm not sure how that's in any way "unpatriotic". I'd argue the exact opposite, in fact.

rated:
rlcrisp said:   
drodge said:   The exchanges turn a profit, so there is zero cost to subsidize. The overhead is already being more than covered.
  Simple question:  If this is the case, why can't they just lower their prices by the amount of tax revenue they're avoiding?  If they have so much profit that shouldn't be a problem.

You do realize they are separate entities, right?   Why should they lower their prices?   Based on what?   They are doing good business now and selling things at a price people are willing to pay.  If they can do that and donate millions to causes that benefit the very people shopping there, why is it your business?   They aren't holding a gun to anyone's head to shop there.

rated:
drodge said:   As a non-retired military veteran, I am currently not able to shop in the exchange. They don't funnel profits directly to the military. They donate most of it to MWR programs that benefit current active duty military and reserve members. As a non-retiree, I won't benefit from any of those projects, as I don't qualify to use them. If I can shop at the exchange, know my purchase is going toward projects that benefit current military members, and also know that I can't use those services myself, I'm not sure how that's in any way "unpatriotic". I'd argue the exact opposite, in fact.
  I never said anything about where the profits going being unpatriotic.  The unpatriotic part is not paying sales tax in order to increase those profits.

rated:
drodge said:   
rlcrisp said:   

You do realize they are separate entities, right?   Why should they lower their prices?   Based on what?   They are doing good business now and selling things at a price people are willing to pay.  If they can do that and donate millions to causes that benefit the very people shopping there, why is it your business?   They aren't holding a gun to anyone's head to shop there.

Why do Amazon customers pay sales tax?  Why should I pay income tax?  Why should anyone pay any taxes?  I don't have kids in school - why do I pay property taxes?

rated:
Now we're down to it. You're hurt because some people are getting a benefit other's don't. It's call an incentive, and the govt. gives them out all the time to encourage a particular behavior. Why do homeowners get income tax exemptions? Why are charities exempt from paying sales tax? Do you pay extra taxes when you're entitled to an exemption because it's more patriotic? It's a recruiting tool to encourage enlistment. If it works, it's a cheap easy incentive.

rated:
drodge said:   Now we're down to it. You're hurt because some people are getting a benefit other's don't. It's call an incentive, and the govt. gives them out all the time to encourage a particular behavior. Why do homeowners get income tax exemptions? Why are charities exempt from paying sales tax? Do you pay extra taxes when you're entitled to an exemption because it's more patriotic? It's a recruiting tool to encourage enlistment. If it works, it's a cheap easy incentive.
  You've.....outed me?  I never tried to hide the fact that this was my line of questioning.  

From the first post " I would think that honorably discharged members of the military would be particularly proud of their country/state/community and find this "discount" unpatrioric, because, well, it is."

The answer is apparently no, they don't.  Everybody loves cheap shit regardless of how/why it is cheap.  Case closed, back to work!

rated:
No, no one but you seems to think that not paying taxes that they are specifically exempt from is unpatriotic. Please feel free to post any extra payments you've made to the federal treasury that you weren't required to make. Didn't think so.

rated:
Glad to see this. We should do more to support our vets!!

rated:
Also the exchange makes money to support other military programs. Such as Welfare and Recreation. It is not supported by tax dollars. It also provides jobs for civilians and military dependents. I don't find a lot of "Deals" at the Exchanges but they sometimes do price matches. Long ago when I went into the military I made $78 a month. On post services were a big help. Enlist and see how you do on military pay. Once you are in for a few years and get quarters and meal allowance and can be in fat city. Yep big bucks if you are in CA at HI and you'll pay it out. Or live in barracks and eat in the Mess. Far better than my day but still you probably wouldn't like it. I was in the Infantry and ate a lot of Canned or dehydrated rations mostly cold. Hot re-supply and meal every two weeks or so. I did have good treatment in Army hospitals while getting fixed up from wounds. Nice orderlies cut my food or bandaged me up for a shower. lol. God Bless this country and its people.

rated:
Is there a card for honorably discharged veterans to shop at base exchanges?

rated:
Unfortunately not. This is the first time I have seen them giving discharged vets and not retired vets the benefit.

rated:
do they PM? also good for fixed prices like xbox, ipad etc.

rated:
Haven't seen PM but you can always send something to them and ask.

rated:
needhelpplease said:   Is there a card for honorably discharged veterans to shop at base exchanges?
  No.  This benefit is for ONLINE shopping only.  On base stores are available only to active duty and retired personnel (and their dependents).

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017