• filter:

Staples to possibly sell off 1500 stores.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Looks like though the merger failed, Staples may get rid of the stores in a possible sale to Office Depot.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/31/office-depot-in-talks-to-buy-rival-...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
I don't know what OD would do with all those stores. In the Delaware Valley, we used to have about 15 OD and OM stores, now it's 6. I visited one last week that had no AC, a third of the lights off, and four mostly clueless staff.

The NY Post article mentioned that stationery retail sales (stores) are suffering the same as other retail businesses. But are people really using Amazon to buy paper clips and pens? Who could pick up the stationery basics retail business - Walmart and Target? Who would do the home/office hardware retail sales - Best Buy and ___?

Staples has their own online and corporate sales divisions and their Quill online operation. I see WB Mason trucks all over the place, serving mostly businesses. I have no idea how well OD's online and corporate sales are doing.

rated:
Buckmann said:   I don't know what OD would do with all those stores. In the Delaware Valley, we used to have about 15 OD and OM stores, now it's 6. I visited one last week that had no AC, a third of the lights off, and four mostly clueless staff.

The NY Post article mentioned that stationery retail sales (stores) are suffering the same as other retail businesses. But are people really using Amazon to buy paper clips and pens? Who could pick up the stationery basics retail business - Walmart and Target? Who would do the home/office hardware retail sales - Best Buy and ___?

Staples has their own online and corporate sales divisions and their Quill  online operation. I see WB Mason trucks all over the place, serving mostly businesses. I have no idea how well OD 's online and corporate sales are doing.

My main hope for any Staples stores is that they close and go back to being the supermarkets that StaplesRite Aid  , Walgreens, and CVS took over when the landlords jacked up the rent.  I can't understand how there's a quarter of the supermarkets there used to be (one, when there used to be 4 in my neighborhood, not to mention that there's one of the 4 produce stores left, and none of the two health food stores.), with three chain drug stores, occupying the 3 lost supermarkets, and Staples still survives in the neighborhood next door.

rated:
uhh, ever heard of walmart? they sell groceries ?

rated:
apparently no MEIJER in your area.

rated:
Besides the online / B&M issues we all know; I can certainly say that wherever a PRIVATE INVESTOR GROUP buys a store chain usually there's the concern they will cherry-pick the retailer assets and gets rid of it. Sycamore (now known as SycaLESS, the VULTURE FUND) didn't take their time at all (THAT WAS EASY FOR THEM!)

Oh, and the comment the NY Post reporter stated that the new transaction would be approved this time around... PFFT! The MONOPOLISTIC EFFECT (even what you can say about Amaz0n, Wally's and BullsEye being competition, the result is still the same for HIGHER PRICES and NON-EXISTING SERVICE) WILL torpedo the transaction AGAIN for the 3RD TIME (not a charm...).

Then what SycaLESS would do to unload Staples chain of stores?

OTOH, I believe this is the time for LOCAL INTERESTS to begin to dabble in whatever assets available from BIG-BOX (particularly supermarkets and pharmacies) stores to START AND KEEP SMALL... (that's how America can start to really be BETTER AGAIN)

rated:
xfmpcx said:   uhh, ever heard of walmart? they sell groceries ?
  I'm not traveling 4 hours, round trip, to get to a WalMart to go grocery shopping.  And, that Walmart, the only one I can reasonably, if you call 4 hours round trip reasonable, get to, has a grocery selection that is probably an eighth of the size, with barely any produce and a lousy, small selection of fresh stuff, and none of the amenities like the deli counter, of the Walmart near someone I know 2500 miles from me.

rated:
clydestereo said:   apparently no MEIJER in your area.
  What's a MEIJER?

rated:
cows123 said:   clydestereo said:   apparently no MEIJER in your area.
  What's a MEIJER?

It'sa on the side of your head. 😜

rated:
Recycle your ink cartridges while you can. I doubt if we will see Staples Rewards beyond 2018.

SycaLESS clearly wants to dump its Staples store locations, and dealing with the retail public, in favor of larger business clients.

rated:
NoFixedAddress said:   Recycle your ink cartridges while you can. I doubt if we will see Staples Rewards beyond 2018.

Look for a new thread I just created. Staples wants to charge a membership fee to be a Rewards member. They're starting at the top with businesses. Can't wait until they work down to general customers.

rated:
AniGrumpy said:   
NoFixedAddress said:   Recycle your ink cartridges while you can. I doubt if we will see Staples Rewards beyond 2018.

Look for a new thread I just created. Staples wants to charge a membership fee to be a Rewards member. They're starting at the top with businesses. Can't wait until they work down to general customers.

Linkified for those of us who don't want to look: https://www.fatwallet.com/forums/deal-discussion/1580205

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017