• filter:

Amazon Return Policy - Automatic Returns Start Oct 2nd for Marketplace

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/02/amazons-new-refunds-policy-will-...

Amazon is starting a new policy starting Oct 2nd.
If a Marketplace seller sends something from their home location (Instead of a Amazon Warehouse), returns will be automatically approved. (I assume you still pay for shipping).

Ewww...well that will probably kill the marketplace sales.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
don't they have a 30 day policy?

needhelpplease (Aug. 03, 2017 @ 11:29p) |

There has been a drastic upturn in the amount of scam sellers on Amazon lately. They are "Newly established" and offer s... (more)

JohnnyRay (Aug. 13, 2017 @ 6:37p) |

2 days ago, I received a 4 globe light fixture for my bathroom, of course one of the globes was broken.
It was shipped fr... (more)

LORENW (Aug. 16, 2017 @ 9:49a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
free stuff for the buyers!!!!

rated:
Or just "cost of doing business". Consistency will raise prices customers are willing to pay and risks to buy from third parties on Amazon

Myself, I generally avoid any third party purchases on Amazon as the few times I've purchased third party they're often the wrong items sent(such as inferior/generics, counterfeit, or grey market) that don't match the actual listing even from third parties with "great" feedback.

Amazon can conceivably track, identify, and shut down repeat buyer scammers more easily too if they handle initiating the returns.

rated:
tantuti said:   free stuff for the buyers!!!!
  why?

rated:
tantuti said:   free rental stuff for the buyers!!!!
  Fixed that for you.

rated:
Bend3r said:   Or just "cost of doing business". Consistency will raise prices customers are willing to pay and risks to buy from third parties on Amazon

Myself, I generally avoid any third party purchases on Amazon as the few times I've purchased third party they're often the wrong items sent(such as inferior/generics, counterfeit, or grey market) that don't match the actual listing even from third parties with "great" feedback.

Amazon can conceivably track, identify, and shut down repeat buyer scammers more easily too if they handle initiating the returns.

I've bought hundreds of things from 3rd parties on Amazon over the years with very minimal problems. It does pay to note the seller's rating and to look for at least 95% positive seller rating or large volume sellers that you're familiar with. I mostly have bought various media products: books, audiobooks, movies, cds. Of course, the more expensive the item, the more careful you should be. For what it's worth, I used to sell (mostly books) on Amazon and have a total of 6 negative feedbacks on over 6000 orders total (and at least half of those were undeserved).

rated:
Isn't the current policy effectively to always allow returns?  How is this really different?  Do you talk that many buyers out of returns? Doesn't this just skip the step of trying to convince them they don't need to return?  Why would this kill the marketplace sales or "crush" small sellers?

rated:
I once sold a laptop in Amazon.  The buyer filed a complaint in Amazon and made up excuse to return it. Amazon accepted her excuse even though I had proof that she was lying.  She used a plastic bag instead of a box to ship the laptop back. I couldn't believe my eyes, who would ship a laptop in a bag? There was a huge damage on the laptop. It still worked to my surprise. Since then, I don't sell in Amazon anymore.

If this policy enact, buyer would have no incentive to make sure the return item is in good shape. The seller will lose both the money and the item. Non-sense.

rated:
This is the same problem that you have on eBay.  The systems are now geared towards the masses which means that you have to operate like a business:

- small margins
- generous return policies
- deal with fraud, almost always on the seller to eat

None of these marketplaces are friendly to small individual sellers. Those sellers don't drive volume, so why would Amazon or eBay care about them compared to people who buy merchandise by the truckload?  

rated:
I once sold a biochem book on Amazon. The buyer requested a return months later after his semester ended. Amazon said I had to accept it. I stopped selling on Amazon after that.

rated:
Months? Wow

rated:
Regarding the automatic returns:

If a buyer wants to return an item they bought on "Amazon" they will eventually have it their way, either by a standard refund, A-z claim, or a chargeback.
This behavior is already occurring so Amazon is just trying to prevent the latter two from occurring because the cost of doing business increases for them when it gets to that point.

Regarding the returnless refunds: This is prone to abuse and no seller should enable it.

rated:
Looks like a Bonanza for eBay!

rated:
Amazon is very customer friendly, that's why they are widely liked in most surveys. They will typically not hesitates to return/refund an item, even if the customer is in the wrong. The surprising part of this is that this isn't already the policy. This is a cost of doing business on Amazon.

rated:
I only buy from third party sellers if it is Amazon Fulfillment. That way shipping is quick, returns are easy and I don't pay return shipping.

rated:
You know, this isn't really a big deal.. it's just pushing sellers to use Amazon warehouse and prime. I'm 100% certain the cause of this is all the fake sellers that have popped up, selling stuff like iPad pro for $300 and then disappearing after shipping delays without ever sending products.

rated:
matrix5k said:   I once sold a biochem book on Amazon. The buyer requested a return months later after his semester ended. Amazon said I had to accept it. I stopped selling on Amazon after that.

It's all a numbers game. I would say less than 2% of transactions result in a return. If you can't afford to eat one transaction, then you really shouldn't be selling. 

rated:
lobstersoap said:   You know, this isn't really a big deal.. it's just pushing sellers to use Amazon warehouse and prime. I'm 100% certain the cause of this is all the fake sellers that have popped up, selling stuff like iPad pro for $300 and then disappearing after shipping delays without ever sending products.

Amen. If this policy does anything to drive away these criminals then I'm all for it. Between my wife and I we've been suckered four times so far this year by these fake Amazon sellers. A pox upon them all!

Chris.

rated:
Amazon simply realized that competing with fleeBay was not worth it. Plus, its core business probably suffered from scammers selling fake products under brand name listings.

rated:
matrix5k said:   I once sold a biochem book on Amazon. The buyer requested a return months later after his semester ended. Amazon said I had to accept it. I stopped selling on Amazon after that.

don't they have a 30 day policy? 

rated:
There has been a drastic upturn in the amount of scam sellers on Amazon lately. They are "Newly established" and offer suspiciously low prices, but they never actually send out anything despite the bogus tracking notifications they send out. This has happened twice to me this year and both times it was a hassle to get the Amazon A-Z refund without being required to try to contact the seller and wait for them to respond within 48 hours (they never did of course) before trying to find a way to contact actual customer service for the refund, rather than them telling you over and over to "contact the seller".

This must be in response to the complaints of this influx of scam sellers.

rated:
2 days ago, I received a 4 globe light fixture for my bathroom, of course one of the globes was broken.
It was shipped from a seller other than Amazon.
I went through the process, noted one was busted and please send me a replacement globe.
They asked for a photo, then replied they would send a new entire fixture, to replace the broken part.
I must be lucky, I have always received great cs from Amazon, thru their warehouse, or with other shippers on their site.
I have never paid for a return, most of the time as soon as the ups label is scanned at Staples drop off, I get the refund issued.
The one time a seller would not allow a return, Amazon issued a refund, and told the seller to provide a return ship label, or I could discard the item after 10 days. They never sent a label, I sold the item on eBay with the damaged part noted, thanks.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017