• filter:

Merchants not marking Groupons as used?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I use Groupon quite a bit for restaurants and activities. Just for kicks, I looked through my history and noted that about 50% of the Groupons I have purchased over the past year were marked "expired" or  not used even though I know I used them. Is there no incentive for the merchant to turn these in? Are they paid regardless of whether or not they "redeem" the Groupon? Seems like there would be quite a bit of opportunity for fraud/re-use in cases where the merchant isn't redeeming properly. Any Groupon gurus?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
dannon35 said:   I use Groupon quite a bit for restaurants and activities. Just for kicks, I looked through my history and noted that about 50% of the Groupons I have purchased over the past year were marked "expired" or  not used even though I know I used them. Is there no incentive for the merchant to turn these in? Are they paid regardless of whether or not they "redeem" the Groupon? Seems like there would be quite a bit of opportunity for fraud/re-use in cases where the merchant isn't redeeming properly. Any Groupon gurus?

I thought the ability to mark deals used was provided for your convenience/record keeping (and if you don't it automatically gets marked expired on the expiration date). I've never ever had a merchant mark my deal used after I redeemed it, I manually do it myself. The merchant gets their money when you pay and I've never heard of them reporting anything back to Gr0upon. It's your responsibility to claim your purchase. Also, regardless of what your account says, any savvy merchant has a way to record who used each exact Gr0upon, when they used it, and what it was used for... so I'd love to be a fly on the wall when someone tries to use it twice.

rated:
One time (by accident) I printed a Groupon that I had saved to my desktop a couple of weeks earlier. After I got home, the wife said, "you must have liked that restaurant to go back again after using our Groupon". Whoops, wife had used the Groupon then I used it again a couple of weeks later!

Merchant never mentioned that certificate had been used prior.

rated:
most redeem in my area.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017