• filter:

Sears store closing, how low will discounts go?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Our Sears in closing in a little less then 3 weeks. There is still plenty of items left in the store. I was just wondering if anyone had watched a Sears store closed and how low they went with discounts?
Right now most items are 70%, jewelry is 80% plus an extra 50%. Appliances are 30% with extra 10% and extra 20% off open box.

Our store is landlocked so it would be 300 or more miles to the next open Sears so I was doubting they are going to send large items to another store or do they sell off the remaining items as a mass liquidation?

I am mainly looking at a fridge (we are selling our house soon, and our fridge doesn't match so I would buy any matching fridge left cheap) , my husband  wanted some tool items and swimwear (there is tons of swimwear left but even at 70% off it is more then I would pay, but at 85-90% I would buying a some).

All the staff is just temp hires so they have no clue when markdowns will be, just the store closes in 20 days.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I have a hard enough time finding clothes in my size and tools and supplies that are in stock at regular prices. If you ... (more)

jw530 (Sep. 05, 2017 @ 7:39p) |

Just to update in case others have stores closing.
Our store is closed now, it actually closed 3 days early. The last we... (more)

sisterbear30 (Sep. 07, 2017 @ 6:19p) |

I didn't see much when the last Kmart in Phoenix closed (2 others remain, just outside Phoenix).  I suspect it's because... (more)

larrymoencurly (Sep. 11, 2017 @ 11:34p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
wait and watch

rated:
Good Luck! since the price is gonna be very low. I'm also looking for some garden tools at a low price point, but maybe I can only use some coupons at online shopping platform like slickdeals or promopure.

rated:
I've never watched a Sears close all the way to the end (we are experiencing our first Sears closure here now, also closing at the same time that your store is, but we have two more remaining open for now), but I've watched all of the last six Kmarts go down in my area, and I assume they'll do things the same. Basically they will eventually go so low that the inventory will be depleted to nothing. And if it is anything like Kmart, they may not even make it to the last scheduled day if everything is sold a day or two early (it happens). A popular item on the last day at Kmart here has been expired ink cartridges for obscure printers that nobody owns and vacuum cleaner bags and belts for all of the most popular vacuums of decades past, but when they're 95% off, you'll find some weirdo reseller who thinks he can make a profit off of them somehow who'll toss every last one into his basket anyway.

I'd expect Sears to be about the same. Once things get to that sweet spot on the discount, the entire inventory will be gone before you can even get there.

rated:
these are handled by a liquidation company, the pump up the prices and then hang the yellow banners.
rarely have i run into a real deal once the liquidators are involved

rated:
80% plus extra 50% is 90% off LIST price. List price is a made up price. Jewelry is barely below prior sale prices.

http://www.themasterofbation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Fish...

rated:
Not so low for something you want and will use.  Maybe, eventually, really low for something you don't need and will sit in the closet unused forever.

rated:
skh12 said:   these are handled by a liquidation company, the pump up the prices and then hang the yellow banners.

Deal is struck somewhere.

rated:
lots of ignorant people go to these sales. They will buy items that are marked 30% off and think they are getting a bargain, when in reality they are just paying the standard sale price that is offered by most retailers. By the time things get discounted to the point iwhere they are actual bargains, all the good stuff is gone.

rated:
I went to the last day of a sale of our local Kmart. I couldn't believe how high the prices of their "deals" were. I forgot the item I had bought, but it was there on the last day for a price higher than I had paid a couple weeks before.

rated:
skh12 said:   these are handled by a liquidation company, the pump up the prices and then hang the yellow banners.

Okay this makes sense. all the employees of Sears seem gone. The people working were temp workers, mostly college kids. The appliances are no deal yet, I know I could do better on BF or pricematching. I just cant believe that if a bunch are left that a company is going to come to our landlocked rural city and drive them somewhere and make a profit.

rated:
sisterbear30 said:     Okay this makes sense. all the employees of Sears seem gone. The people working were temp workers, mostly college kids.

Once regular employees go. It is now liquidation company doing the sales. Whatever you buy cant be returned to other stores. All sales will be final.

Yes as noted before the prices will mostly be no deals. But if you had gone there before liquidation company took over, i am sure lots of deals would have been there.

rated:
We bought our 'fridge from the SearsOutlet. I'd suggest that over an endlessly fondled one in a closing store.

rated:
Our Erie, PA Sears closed located in the Millcreek mall at the end of the year right before Christmas. The very last week of the store before closing for good they offered all clothing 75% off, and then the entire store was 90% off. So I grabbed roughly $700 worth of cloths for just under $20?

For example, a hoodie I found normally cost $79.99, but was on sale for 75% off, making it $19.99. Than the entire store was 90% off, so $19.99 at 90% off would be $1.99. For an added bonus I think maybe their system was glitched, but received SYWR's based on the products retail price, which saved another $0.79, but I'll be nice and not include this for the final value.

Ofc this is 100% YMMV, but I thought I would share before you invest alot of green when in two week they *might* be extremly on-sale!

rated:
sisterbear30 said:   

Okay this makes sense. all the employees of Sears seem gone. The people working were temp workers, mostly college kids. The appliances are no deal yet, I know I could do better on BF or pricematching. I just cant believe that if a bunch are left that a company is going to come to our landlocked rural city and drive them somewhere and make a profit.

if a "closing" store is moving a lot of stuff, the liquidation company will move additional stuff to the location, you will even see things the original store never carried, and of course some inventory will never be liquidated, it will go back to the MFR. or distributor 

rated:
I don't know if this holds for Sears, but one thing that I remember about Kmart when they closed here was that they had signs saying you couldn't use surprise points. That was (at least in my experience) a lie as both my regular and surprise points actually did go through anyway, but of course YMMV.

rated:
The discounts usually go down to 75% or even 90% over time. By the time the discounts get that huge, usually it's just crap that is left.

rated:
Our Kmart closed a few years ago and about a week before they closed all of their clothes were $0.25. My daughter is going to be set with clothes for at least the next 3 years. Lots of the items were the exact same color just different sizes so I stocked up!

rated:
If you go, make sure your vaccinations are up-to-date.

rated:
sisterbear30 said:   Our Sears in closing in a little less then 3 weeks. There is still plenty of items left in the store. I was just wondering if anyone had watched a Sears store closed and how low they went with discounts?
Right now most items are 70%, jewelry is 80% plus an extra 50%. Appliances are 30% with extra 10% and extra 20% off open box.

Our store is landlocked so it would be 300 or more miles to the next open Sears so I was doubting they are going to send large items to another store or do they sell off the remaining items as a mass liquidation?

I am mainly looking at a fridge (we are selling our house soon, and our fridge doesn't match so I would buy any matching fridge left cheap) , my husband  wanted some tool items and swimwear (there is tons of swimwear left but even at 70% off it is more then I would pay, but at 85-90% I would buying a some).

All the staff is just temp hires so they have no clue when markdowns will be, just the store closes in 20 days.

discounts will be taken off the inflated price

rated:
As I've stated before, the best time to get discounts in such cases are THE WEEK OR WEEKS BEFORE THE LIQUIDATION PEOPLE TAKES OVER, usually prices then are at similar levels than at the middle of the liquidation (and you can use gift cards and points to pay then).

But if you need to go (and knowing how Sears and Kmart work when the regular people are in charge) it's no use on most items when it's below 40% on Kmart and 60% on Sears, and since now both pretty much carry the same articles and quality it's more about availability and you can compare both against each other if they're both available nearby. Bigger exceptions are some grocery, particularly the most basic stuff (good even at 10% off) and jewelry, which has a huge markup all the time, so even at 70% off the prices maybe still not competitive enough to catch (watch out against the 80-90% off those, they may be really crappy stuff).

Also ASK YOUR LOCAL POLITICIANS (it is regulated at the State and City level, the Federals won't even touch it) for giving the Consumer Protection Agency (or whatever equivalent there is) the CLAWS in laws / regulations to force businesses to register with them whenever they liquidate a store and force them to keep the regular prices as before the liquidation as basis for (what probably would be lower) discounts. IT CAN BE DONE AT THE LO0CAL LEVEL (Puerto Rico's DACO {Dept. of Consumer Affairs] went to the US Federal Court System several times to uphold the State's right to regulate business practices).

rated:
I have a hard enough time finding clothes in my size and tools and supplies that are in stock at regular prices. If you are men's small or medium then there is a lot of selection.

rated:
Just to update in case others have stores closing.
Our store is closed now, it actually closed 3 days early. The last week clothes and misc items were 90% off. It was weird how much old stuff they had in the back they brought out like sporting items, seasonal items. by the last week no applainces or jewelry was I the store. I assume it was taken out to sell elsewhere?
The final day misc was .01, like knee braces, golf books, stickers, adaptors, just odd stuff. Clothes were 95-97% off,the discounts were taken in an odd way but I know jeans that were $49, were under $1. There was plenty of plus size and small sizes left.
The fixtures got way cheap by the last hours, basically $5 or less for anything. If I wasn't moving I would have loved the shelving and cube cases for my garage organizing.

I did feel bad, I was there at closing and a few of the original Sears employees were there to say goodbye. The store was empty but thrashed(doors were broken, holes in walls, all done the final week) and they were in tears.

rated:
I didn't see much when the last Kmart in Phoenix closed (2 others remain, just outside Phoenix).  I suspect it's because a lot of the merchandise can be returned to suppliers or moved to other stores.  Also once the liquidation company comes in and replaces the regular employees, the good stuff is gone, and sometimes merchandise is brought in that was never part of the company's regular offerings. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017