• filter:

Home Depot complaints

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Has anyone ever had success getting satisfaction on a Home Depot mistake?

I was home helping my elderly parents when their fridge broke down.  We found a GE model we liked at Lowe's.  Since they were closer and could deliver faster, we decided to go with Home Depot.  I looked online and saw two nearly identical models with a $200 price difference.  The only thing I could see that set them apart was that one had two wire baskets in the freezer and the other had two plastic (or plastic lipped) bins.  It seemed too good to be true, so I called the local store to confirm.  I spoke to a salesman who told me he was looking at it too and that seemed right to him.  He said, "Sometimes a little difference like that can be the only difference between twom models" and "It can make a big price difference."  We ordered the lower priced one.  They delivered, hooked it up and took off before we could even open the doors and inspect it.  It wasn't until I began putting the groceries in the freezer that it only had one basket. My parents use every inch of storage space in their freezer, and without the extra basket there was about 14" of space rendered useless.  We couldn't get the groceries back in.  So I called right away.  The person I spoke to told me that model didn't come with two baskets (!) but they could order another.  It was $100 -- for a wire basket!  And he said he'd split the cost with us.

We waited for the basket to arrive; it didn't fit.  They then corrected themselves -- for a third time -- and said there is no such basket to go in that model at that spot.   
The fridge that was ordered only comes with one basket.  If we wanted a fridge with two baskets, we'd have to order the other model.

We decided to eat the $200, but by now the model had increased in price to a difference of $439 over the one we ordered.

I spoke to the floor manager who offered to take $200 off that price but charged us even more in restocking fees, hook-up fees, and pick-up fees ... so that the price difference -- which would've been only $200 had the original salesman given me the correct answer when I called -- will now set my folks back almost $600.  My parents are 90+ and on a fixed income.  

I think this is abominable behavior on behalf of the company.  I wish we had bought from Lowe's, as my father originally wanted to.  I will never buy another large appliance from HD again.  

I called their online customer service and the young woman I spoke to just referred me back to the store.  

Does anyone have any ideas who or what department I might write or talk to to get some satisfactiion?  

Thanks.  

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Wow!
YOU make the mistake and expect HD to eat the costs and bend over backwards for you.

rated:
anyplace said:   Wow!
YOU make the mistake and expect HD to eat the costs and bend over backwards for you.

Why not!  Sounds like because they took the store's advice they got screwed.  I would have made a big stink  if needed and home-depot  probably have taken care of it.  Once you get above the salesman level and into talking to Store Manager things could have turned out a lot different.  Go back and sit down and talk to store mgr - escalate even higher if needed.  Apparently you have nothing to lose and the stores don't like to have these type of problems.

rated:
wtjc said:   
anyplace said:   Wow!

Why not!  Sounds like because they took the store's advice they got screwed.  I would have made a big stink  if needed and home-depot  probably have taken care of it.  Once you get above the salesman level and into talking to Store Manager things could have turned out a lot different.  Go back and sit down and talk to store mgr - escalate even higher if needed.  Apparently you have nothing to lose and the stores don't like to have these type of problems.

How about be responsible for your own stu*****y(edited - don't want to be yelled at by a mod).
Clearly OP looked up wrong item online and was too lazy too go to store and confirm the item...and ordered a crappy fridge.

BTW... I hate HD and avoid them at all costs.
Will gladly pay more from Lowe's or (any other company). 

rated:
Always inspect BEFORE you sign the delivery receipt

Lowes does a very nice job of delivery and basic hookup, we just got our new appliances on Monday.

rated:
I called Home Depot to make sure the refrigerator had two baskets and they assured me yes, it did.  I don't know how that's my mistake, except to take them at their word.  

rated:
The delivery receipt just said that the item was delivered, nothing more.  My father signed it while I was out in the garage showing them where to put the old fridge.  They were in and out in less than 10 minutes.  

rated:
PaigeB said:   The delivery receipt just said that the item was delivered, nothing more.  My father signed it while I was out in the garage showing them where to put the old fridge.  They were in and out in less than 10 minutes.  

Write out an easy to follow record of what transpired along with dates, phone calls,  store visits, receipts  and who you talked too
Go to the store (do not phone) and ask to talk to Dept Mgr  forget the sales people) and sit down and talk to him about what transpired.  If your not getting anywhere and he's not receptive ask for store mgr (come back if needed).  You should be able to talk to him and lay out your case to him.  If needed leave a copy of what transpired with him because he is probably going to want to check things out.  If you still don't receive satisfaction ask him for Corporate information because you need to talk and/or forward information on to them.  If it goes to Corporate make sure to add these dates, person spoken too and results to your record.  Chances are they will make an effort to help you.  Be courteous and just keep escalating it up.  Why I stress written record is because its too easy to leave things out.  If they offer less than you think you deserve don't be afraid to speak it and ask for more.  After all what do you have to lose?    Stores normally like to avoid things going above them (it looks bad).  Store manager has the authority to almost anything he wants.

I sent you an earlier pm   (near the top right corner of this page if you see a little red 1 it means you have a pm.  (read them)

rated:
Thanks, appreciate it!  

I haven't been able to track down a number for corporate but I will do.  

rated:
When you do, please add the # to the Hard to Find #'s sticky.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   When you do, please add the # to the Hard to Find #'s sticky.
  Post number Here   (click on preceding link

rated:
I hate HD as much as the above member does. I shop at Lowes mostly and don't hardly ever use them. HD has changed in the last 10 years. I bought a air conditioner from them about 15 years ago , it failed a few years later under warranty, by that time the company that made it was dissolving. Ended up waiting many months to try and get it fixed. I finally called HD and they gave me a gift card to get another. These days their attitude is to get your money and thats the end of your business relationship with them. I don't deal with merchants like that.
Anyway as far as the op.. You should have gone to the store to see whats your buying. But that also goes out the window because HD gave you the wrong info about the baskets. Ultimately it is your word against theirs. Make a giant stink and maybe they will throw you a bone.
I think eventually HD's attitudes on how they treat their customers will catch up with them.
Retail IS dieing. Does not help at all to have bad word of Mouth about your retail business these days.

rated:
We purchased hardwood flooring last July 2016 and before we were able to start on the project, I broke my foot a month later on vacation. After 2 surgeries and lots of physical therapy, we finally started the project this July and finished a few weeks ago. We had $1,600 in excess unopened flooring materials (cork underlayment and wood) that sat in our guest bedroom for a year. We loaded these items into our car and drove to our local Home Depot to return them, only to be turned away because the 1 year return policy had expired only 6 weeks earlier. I escalated through HomeDepot.com customer care and they also would not accept the return. I wrote a thoughtfully worded email to the CEO (craig_Menear@HomeDepot.com) to explain my situation and kept it under 1 page. I did not rant, did not threaten to stop shopping there (I actually complimented my local store) and was very unemotional. I simply asked if he would be kind enough to take into consideration what happened and perhaps give me break after my unfortunate injury. I received a phone call from the Home Depot executive office customer group the next morning with a sincere apology for the inconvenience and they agreed to refund the amount of the unused materials to my original form of payment (Home Depot credit card, in my case). In addition, they offered to send a truck to my home to remove all of the unused materials, so I didn't have to load up the car and drive to Home Depot again. If you explain your story politely and are reasonable in your request for accommodations, you may be surprised. A little honey goes a long way. In the event they do end up accommodating you, make sure you share your story for others to follow (in the name of karma).

rated:
It may be a matter of the particular district that store is in, but here in the Phoenix area I've found Lowe's to be lousy and Home Depot much better.  

rated:
Two questions:

1. What did the refrigerator manufacturer's website show when you plugged in the model numbers to compare the two refrigerators?
2. Why are you sticking your "90+ year old fixed income parents" with the added $600 expense of the mistake you made?

For less than $200, you could have gotten them a five cubic foot chest freezer if they need more freezer space. One cubic foot of freezer space wasn't worth the hassle.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017