• filter:

Retailer changed return policy after purchase - what are my options?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
A retailer that offered refunds on any purchase within a year and store credit afterwards has drastically changed their policy and qualifications

And they're not accepting a return. What are my options? I tried emailing them but they are refusing, claiming they need to abide by the new policy under new ownership.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It may help to know the retailer name...
It may also help to know what you are returning, how long ago was it purchased, and why you are trying to return it.

Do you have anything in writing detailing the old policy?

rated:
I'd like to keep some confidentiality. It's slightly past 365 days now unfortunately. Returning as the item is not meeting my needs which is covered under the original policy.. My e-mailed receipt clearly states the old policy. Archive.org has a cache of the old website policy also.

rated:
I know a few that have a 1 year return policy such as Macy's, but if you are after a year, then you either call corporate and explain you bought within 1 year or your complain to BBB or you sue.

rated:
Thanks. I'm in touch with the BBB and CPB now. I'll update when it's closed.

Any other thoughts?

rated:
Where does it say in your original contract (terms of purchase) that the store can change the terms in the future?  If that's not stated or the company didn't go bankrupt, they can't change a contract after the fact.  Be sure to capture those archived screen shots of their old terms.

File a credit card "billing error" complaint, in writing, and mail it to the special address listed for billing inquiries.  If your credit card issuer says it's too late, remind them that the credit card company (Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc.) have their own rules that go way beyond federal law, and explain you purchased something with a 1-year refund warranty but wasn't informed at the time that it would  not be honored.  Visa and Amex are pretty good about enforcing their rules upon member banks, but Mastercard doesn't seem to do anything.  Any time limit is based on when you requested the warranty (including return policy) to be implemented, so it doesn't matter if that limit has passed.  I think this is part of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.  

My parents had a similar problem with a car battery they bought in the 1970s that was warranted for life. Kmart changed to a 5-year limit and insisted on that, but they finally changed their mind.  On the other hand, when Auto Shack quit offering lifetime batteries, they kept honoring the warranty long after discontinuation.  Auto Shack became AutoZone.   
I'd like to keep some confidentiality.
Hustler store?

rated:
Thanks Larry - that's helpful. I'll go this route if I do not have success through the BBB complaint.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017